No announcement yet.

HELP !!!! Can't install my new G400 !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP !!!! Can't install my new G400 !!!

Hi my name is Iddo and I am writing to you guys from my friends Marmita (Ariel) acount coz I wasn't able to open one yet...

I just bought a ne system:
    ABit BE6 motherboard
    P3-500 cpu
    128mb PC100 sdram
    G400 32mb DH
    SB Live! (Value)
    Adaptec 2940AU
    Toshiba x40 SCSI cd-rom
    Teac x6 SCSI burner
    3Com (USRobotics) 56k PCI modem
    WD Expert 9.1GB UDMA/66 hd with 2mb cache

first let me mention that to be sure this is not a conflict I REMOVED ALL THE CARDS except the G400, and even disabled the two normal IDE controllers, even the SCSI went out.

I installed win98, everthing went good but when I installed the G400 drivers (5.13 or 5.25 doesn't matter) and rebooted the screen shows garbade white and black vertical lines with many colored pixels, as you would see if you SUPER overclock your card (which I didn't). win98 didn't even post and the mouse cursor is a big black box running on screen when I move the mouse !!!

I thought my card is defective so I took Ariel's G400 which works fine in his computer and installed it..... The same result... I am so disapointed I invested all my savings in this computer and as a computer programmer that works with computers every day it is very unpleasing to have this problem and not being able to solve it.... can someone help me... Ariel told me Kruzin and Ant know alot about this kind of stuff and so I adress you all... please help me....

Hello,

Is this a brand new PC with no other card installed or did u have a previous video card installed b4 the G400? If so then i advise a complete C: reformat and install the G400 1st along with a fresh version of Direct X 7 and Windows. Good Luck.

------------------
    P3 500(not overclocked)
    128 MB PC100 SDRAM
    SE440BX-2 Motherboard by Intel
    Seagate 8.4 gig HDD
    Diamond MX300 Sound Card
    AOpen 40x CD ROM
    Ethernet 32 bit PCI Card
    Motorola Cable Modem
    Matrox G400 32 OEM Single Head @150
    17" CRT Monitor
    Altec Lansing 2 Speakers and Sub

----CoolBreeze aka KAST----
    P3 500(not overclocked)
    128 MB PC100 SDRAM
    SE440BX-2 Motherboard by Intel
    Seagate 8.4 gig HDD
    Diamond MX300 Sound Card
    AOpen 40x CD ROM
    Ethernet 32 bit PCI Card
    Motorola Cable Modem
    Matrox G400 32 OEM Single Head @150
    17" CRT Monitor
    Altec Lansing 2 Speakers and Sub

----CoolBreeze aka KAST----

Comment

brand new computer ... never been touched. I didn't even have win98 preinstalled. I installed win98 for the first time on the computer.

Comment

Boot into safe mode and try to diagnose the problem using a standard VGA driver...

------------------
        Celeron 300A@464 2.0V, Abit BH6 G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A, Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster 32PNP

Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

I did that already... with the normal VGA PCI drivers everthing is fine... no conflicts.

Comment

Maybe there's some dust or some other foreign matter in your AGP slot. Also, be sure the card is seated properly in the slot. AGP boards can be tricky. They look like they're in, but they're not.

Also, if all else fails, maybe you could try to borrow another board, something relatively new and *not* a G400, to see if there is a problem with your motherboard.

Good luck.

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Ok. I'll try thanks paul (and the other guys who responded too :->).

Comment

Monitor? How is the cable from the monitor? Also do you have the correct .ini for your model? Did you try your card in your friends system? I bet its your MOBO... Long night Huh? Been there myself.

Comment

the system works perfectly with a ATI Rage Pro AGP... and my card works perfectly in my friends system...

G400 + Abit BE6 - does anyone have this combination working ??? it seems impossible...

Comment

ppl, i had kinda the same problem, it happend after some time in windows browsing, it stopped after i reinstalled all of the system drivers like AGP to PCI bridge, etc, etc, etc, and I put a little Pentium cooling, near it, so your card is a little damaged, or just reinstall drivers )
                    I have MSI MS-6167 mobo

------------------
                    Matrox Millennium G400 Dual Head - English
                    Resolution 800*600
                    Color Depth 16-bit Color
                    Frame Buffer Triple buffering
                    Refresh Rate VSync Off
                    CPU Optimization AMD 3DNow!(tm)
                    3DMark Result 5420.49 3DMarks
                    Synthetic CPU 3D Speed 9142.76 CPU 3DMarks
                    Rasterizer Score 2206.33 3DRasterMarks
                    Game 1 - Race 63.58 FPS
                    Game 2 - First Person 47.24 FPS
                    Processor Type AMD-K7(tm) Processor
                    Processor Speed 500 MHz
                    Physical Memory 128 MB

Matrox Millennium G400 Dual Head - English
                    Resolution 800*600
                    Color Depth 16-bit Color
                    Frame Buffer Triple buffering
                    Refresh Rate VSync Off
                    CPU Optimization AMD 3DNow!(tm)
                    3DMark Result 5420.49 3DMarks
                    Synthetic CPU 3D Speed 9142.76 CPU 3DMarks
                    Rasterizer Score 2206.33 3DRasterMarks
                    Game 1 - Race 63.58 FPS
                    Game 2 - First Person 47.24 FPS
                    Processor Type AMD-K7(tm) Processor
                    Processor Speed 500 MHz
                    Physical Memory 128 MB

Comment

Are you using the latest BIOS for the BE6?

With a fresh install of Windows 98 and nothing but the essentials on your motherboard, it certainly sounds like a hardware issue.

Power supply maybe? I'm stumped.

Paul
                      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Marmita-

Not to rub it in your face, but I just got the pretty much the same hardware as you and everything is okay for me, so I don't think it is a (non-defective) mobo problem.

I don't know if this will help, but I did experience one problem with the pci slot that shares the isa slot (pci5 maybe?), so try to avoid that slot if you can (I had my sblive! in there but had to move it). But, if you installed with just the g400, then I really have no suggetion for you.

Comment

In your bios, under SoftCPU (or whatever it is... can't think this late), what are your settings?
                          Specifically, what is your bus speed, and the AGP/BUS value? (1/1 or 2/3?)
                          Tilable Desktop Backgrounds, perfect for DualHead: http://bg.rifetech.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X