Good bye, cruel Matrox.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good bye, cruel Matrox.......

Woopie, I've eventually managed to find someone stupid enough to palm my G400M on to, I've even managed to almost recoup all the money as well. Just got to hope that he doesn't start reading these forums entill after next pay-day.

I bought the G400M after being suckerd by all the hype and although I new that the card needed a heafty processor, I thought I'd get away with running it on a duel celeron. After having the card for a couple of months with no details of a Win2k drivers, we now find out they are developing new drivers for SSL and 3DNow insructions only.

Whats the flipping point......

I'm gonna go get my self a vanilla TNT2, OC the tits of it and then hold tight till the next generation cards come out.

Pige

[This message has been edited by Ant (edited 09-28-1999).]

With a name like Pige, he should be buying a GeForce 256.

Now who can figure out the reference? :-)

------------------
    Primary System: PIII-540 (450@4.5x120), Soyo 6BA+ III, 256MB PC100 ECC SDRAM, G400 MAX in multi-monitor mode. V2 SLI rig. Two Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 900u monitors, 3Com 3C905, SoundBlaster Live!, DeskTop Theater DTT2500 DIGITAL Speaker System (Sweeeeeet!), 2nd Parallel Port, WD AC41800 18GB HD, WD AC310100 10GB HD, Toshiba SD-M1212 6x DVD-ROM, HP 8100i CD-RW, Epson Stylus Pro, Sharp JX-9400 LJ-II compatible, OptiUPS PowerES 650, MS SideWinder Precision Pro USB joystick, Logitech 3-button mouse, Mitsumi keyboard, Win98 SE, Belkin OmniCube 4-port KVM

Secondary System: PII-266, Asus P2B BIOS 1008, 128MB PC100 ECC SDRAM, Millennium II, 3Com 3C590, ADSL Modem 640kbit down/90kbit up, 3Com 3C509, Mylex BT-930 SCSI card, Seagate 2GB Hawk, NEC 6x CD-ROM, Linux distro S.u.S.E. 6.1 (IP Masquerade works!)

Tertiary System: DFI G568IPC Intel 430HX chipset, P200MMX, 96MB of non-parity RAM, Millennium II, Intel Pro/100+ client NIC, SoundBlaster 16 MCD, Fujitsu 3.5GB HD, WD 1.2GB HD, Creative Dxr3 DVD decoder card, Hitachi GD-2500 6x DVD-ROM, Win98 SE

All specs subject to change.

The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
    The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
    The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

Hi Ice

I assume it has some refrence to the SciFi cartoon series Ge-Force, Although I can't remember mutch about it now......

Pige is short for Pigeon.

Pige

Comment

Hey, the Matrox deserter got it! :-)

Yeah, G-Force, or Battle of the Planets - depends on which variant you received in your country. Here it was Battle of the Planets. The actual Japanese anime is Gatchaman, I believe (not entirely positive). The anime was way better than the cartoon that got here, it seemed to me. And there was a charcter by the name of Pidge in the series - uniform looked like a bird.

Can't see why you got rid of the Max, unless you had an underpowered system. It isn't worth getting the Max unless you're running a PIII at 450 Mhz or higher (at least, for GAMES). V2 SLI rig and a Max seems to be the best combination for gaming - GLide on one side, and D3D on the other - and damm does that Unreal flyby look sweeet! :-)

Just my $0.02

Comment

Hi,

It looks as though I have an underpowerd system, although if you'd try to explain that to me before I bought the card, I wouldn't have belived you.

Duel Celery 366--->OC'd 550
          256mb Ram
          2x10gb IBM HD's
          Hitatchi 812 21"

I'm currently running Win2K RC1 and having alsorts of probs, put in a Diamond 770 vanila I bought while waiting for the G400M to turn up and it r0x0rs.

Please, please tell me that Pidge was not the fat one in the blue suite out of Battle of the Planets.

Cheers

Pige

Comment

BYE!!!! You just go and do that and be sure to close the door on your way out. We've had too many pest in here lately already.

Joel
            Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
            Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Bye , Bye & you are right MATROX should pay more attention to ALL kind of PROCESSOR users not only to PIII or ATHLON highend processors...wery , wery , wery bed MATROX politics ..

------------------
              PIII450@465,P2b,128mb,Matrox Mill-G400 32SH,SB.Live !(value)...
              PIII650@806(fsb@124),ASUS P3B-F,128mb,Matrox Mill-G400 32SH,SB.Live!vlue ,IntelliMouse Explorer

Comment

Eh, Celerys aren't my favorite processors.

NT blows goats for games, dude! Any verson, and I mean ANY version of NT sucks for games. And NT is brutal on CPU caches - that 128 on the celery just won't cut it for heavy duty processing.

Get a real gaming OS like Win98SE on that box! Max works fine under 98 for D3D. OpenGL under Hl has issues, but I'm hoping that won't be a problem come October 8th *crosses fingers*.

A single CPU is all you need, unless you're playing Q3A, but after UT, why would you? :-)

P.S. Pidge was the little guy in the green suit.

[This message has been edited by IceStorm (edited 09-28-1999).]

Comment

I'm glad Pidge was the little green one.... would have hated to be the fat blue one. It would have been to close to real life for comfort.

Pige

Comment

I preffer using Win2k to Win98, the whole OS seems more stable than Win98 even as a beta.

I havn't tried many games on it apart from Q3Test (15fps gain on TNT2@1024x760) and Homeworld.

I do have some issues with networking, though hope to resolve this once I get my domain server up and running again.

Cheers

Pige

Comment

Stable, yes.

Game-oriented, no. :-)

Driver support? Yeah, right....

Comment

Its hard to save the world!

------------------
                        PIII-450@504, 128 HDSRAM, Asus P3BF, G400/32, SBLive!, Nokia 447Xi 17", oh yea, a nice floppy drive

Comment

Game-oriented, no. :-)
                          Get a Playstation. I has quite "Game-oriented" frontend..

_
                          B

Comment

fug Playstation, get a N64

(will this seed take hold?)

BTW: The world looks better through a G

[This message has been edited by bunnymud (edited 09-28-1999).]
                            "640K ought to be enough for anybody."
                            [Bill Gates, 1981]

Comment

One of the better attributes of Win2000, unless that gets changed too, will be the end of dll hell found in previous Windows versions.

But then you have to depend on MS to write a file to replace the one that the offending program needs to run.

Wonder if that will happen timely?

BTW, I like MAX. He is like a good friend, had to sort the chafe from the grain at times but now that I understand him better I have no problems.

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 09-28-1999).]
                              MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                              Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                              512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                              Matrox P
                              X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                              LianLiPC70

Comment

Working...
                              X