Problem with my g400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with my g400

Had this problem myself with a G200, the culprit was Bus-Mastering and not having an IRQ assigned. Disable Bus-Mastering then make sure you have an IRQ assigned to the card and that it isn't conflicting. You may have to swop a few cards around in different slots to do this. Then re-enable bus mastering and things should be ok.
    If it isn't that then I don't know,
    Geforce 4 Ti 4200 64MB,
    PIII800,
    256MB,
    ABIT SA6R 815E MB,
    Pioneer 104S DVD ROM,
    Plextor 16/10/40A CDwriter,
    40GB UDMA100 Fujitsu HD,
    80GB Maxtor ATA133 7200RPM HD,
    Int. IDE ZIP Drive,
    512K ADSL Link
    10/100MB Fast Ethernet Card,
    SB Live 1024,
    Belinea 10 70 10, 17" Monitor,
    Hmmmm and a Floppy Drive

Don't disable BusMastering, except as a troubleshooting measure. Leaving it off is not a suitable fix, as it will cause a 30-40% performance hit.

The IRQs do need to be set up right though...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I did say.."re-enable" bus mastering"
      i.e. switch it back on.
      Only switch it off to stop the crashes while you sort the irq conflict out.
      You DEFINATELY want bus mastering "ON".
      Mega performance hit if it is off!
      Geforce 4 Ti 4200 64MB,
      PIII800,
      256MB,
      ABIT SA6R 815E MB,
      Pioneer 104S DVD ROM,
      Plextor 16/10/40A CDwriter,
      40GB UDMA100 Fujitsu HD,
      80GB Maxtor ATA133 7200RPM HD,
      Int. IDE ZIP Drive,
      512K ADSL Link
      10/100MB Fast Ethernet Card,
      SB Live 1024,
      Belinea 10 70 10, 17" Monitor,
      Hmmmm and a Floppy Drive

Comment

I have the same shutdown problem with my amd-k6-2, Mvp3 ss7 motherboard system using the matrox g400. The only way I can prevent this is by disabling busmastering. I've tried all the fixes and my irq for the g400 doesn't share a irq with another device. Interestingly enough, I havent noticed any performance hit since disabling busmastering. The only thing I've noticed is that now back to agp*1 instead of agp*2.
        Thanks Dann Swann
        dan

Comment

Aha! Finally a useful post for my problems... Although I guess nobody read my other posts... And this topic isn't really much to do with my problems...

I have disabled Bus Mastering quite a while ago, and left it there, because it was causing Outlook Express to lock up... Nobody said anything then about it being bad.. I thought that only had a slight speed impact...
          But anyway... That isn't really my problem... I have a G200, and I can't get OpenGL to work at all... Not GLQuake, Kingpin, the windows OpenGL screensavers... No OpenGL at all...
          I have asked both in this forum, and Matrox Gaming, but I got no replies at all.

Could my OpenGL problems be caused by bus mastering being disabled?

Also, I don't have an IRQ assigned to my card, because I thought that was only necessary for the slight speed increase of bus mastering...

Could my OpenGL problems be caused by my G200 having no IRQ?

I hope someone can help... Or at least make some kind of suggestion....

Also, I have the same K6-2 / MVP3 combination as danswan... I dunno if that makes any difference...

[This message has been edited by Greeble (edited 10-03-1999).]

Comment

Could my OpenGL problems be caused by my G200 having no IRQ?

YES!
            Assign it an IRQ NOW!

Could my OpenGL problems be caused by bus mastering being disabled?

No, it should work without BM, but like it's stuck in second gear.

Assign any video card an IRQ always. For Matrox cards, make sure it is IRQ9 or higher.

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Thank you... At last I get a sensible answer.... Nobody has mentioned this before when talking about OpenGL, as far as I know.. They were all talking about beta ICDs and AGP 2x and stuff....

So.. I will assign it an IRQ, and see what happens...
              The strange thing is that when I start Matrox Diagnostics, it says bus mastering is ok, but disabled.... Didn't it used to say about having no IRQ?

Comment

Problem with my g400

Hi
                I have a big problem with my matrox millenium g400. When I try to shut down windows, I get a blue screen saying that there is a problem with a VXD and the system freezes. The problem only occures when I install the drivers for the matrox millenium g400. I have tried with the 5.25 and the 5.21 version of powerdesk. When I remove the g400 from system properties the system is able to restart without the blue screen. But as soon as the drivers for the card is reinstalled it,s impossible to restart the computer with out a blue screen and the system freezes.

What could be wrong?

Comment

Argh.. Now I remember why I didn't have an IRQ on it...

I just tried to enable that again... And it worked ok... It got IRQ 11, and I enabled bus mastering too, which seems to be ok..
                  But... OpenGL still doesn't work...
                  Maybe it's something to do with my network card having IRQ 11 too.. :/
                  That's why I didn't have an IRQ for the G200...
                  There doesn't seem to be anything I can do to seperate them.. If I change 11 to be reserved for ISA... Both cards end up using 10...

Windows doesn't report any conflict or anything... And the network and graphics seem to work ok... But still no OpenGL...

Tomorrow I will remove my network card and sound card and see if I can get OpenGL to work like that.... Coz if it works like that, then the IRQ sharing is causing the problem... If it still doesn't work, then I must have another problem....

[This message has been edited by Greeble (edited 10-04-1999).]

Comment

Greeble, move your NIC to a different slot.

------------------
                    FedEx Sucks!

Comment

Finally! It works...
                      GLQuake, Kingpin, and the W98 OGL all work

(Well, not perfectly, but at least they don't lock up my machine...)

And I didn't have to play with the cards at all... I ran the ASD and re-enabled "Get Statically Allocated Resource Information" and "Read Extended System Configuration Data (ESCD)"... No idea how long they had been like that... Hmm...

Well I did some other stuff too.. But that was the only unusual thing I did... Then I rebooted and everything was working...

My network card is still using 11 along with the G200... But windows still doesn't report any conflict, and both seem to work ok...
                      I might try moving the network card sometime to see if that makes any difference...

Comment

Greeble, out of curiosity, what king of NIC are you using (and is it pci or isa). I have a couple neat programs that you can change the settings on the nic rom to make it use cerain IRQs if it is an isa card. Thats what I'm doing with mine so it uses irq10 and my G200 irq11.

Comment

Well... I seem to have OGL working alright now... But the IRQ or the bus mastering or something is causing the sound (winamp, etc) to mess up whenever the screen updates... I have had this problem before, but it only started doing it again today... Maybe it's because of the IRQ sharing?

It's a rather generic RTL8029 clone.. PCI... Sometime I may try removing it or changing the slot and seeing if I can get it onto it's own IRQ...

Comment

I mam also having "obscure" problems with my G400 (16mB oem).

I have bus mastering on and an irq assigned to the card although it "shares" an irq (11) with something called "irq for PCI steering" or something like that, whatever the hell that is, can anyone enlighten me?

My own probs are intermittant lockups in Q2 sometimes will run Q2 demos for hours without problem and than seems to repeatedly lockup, and the card will not even run the matrox tech demo that came with the card! (locks up about 10 secs into it, how bad is that!).

Everything else works beautifully, no probs although, I have had very occasional crashes where the graphics appears to have locked up.
                            I am beginning to think hardware fault, yes/no, does anyone have any ideas?

addendum

Problem resolved by forcing AGP x1 (from default AGP x1 fallback only). A lot of peaople seem to have reported this as a fix for intermittant crashes particularly with Asus mb (as is mine).

Total fixes required to gey my card up and running - PD 5.25, direct X 6.1, NO opengl beta ICD, forced AGP x1.

rmw

[This message has been edited by RMW (edited 10-06-1999).]

Comment

Those IRQ holders aren't anything to worry about... Go into system properties, device manager, and double-click on the Computer at the top... You'll probably see IRQ holders sharing with all your PCI/AGP devices... It's something to do with the Plug&Pray...
                              I have had those similar random crashes too, but not recently, and I've done stuff since so I dunno... Matrox tech demo has also been troublesome for me too... Haven't checked it lately tho so I'm not sure about that...

Comment

Working...
                              X