Has anyone tried SciTech's GLDirect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried SciTech's GLDirect?

Just wanted to see if anyone used this OpenGL type of wrapper with their G200's, to see if they got better performance in their games such as Quake 2 and 3.

Please post comments with what you think of it.

-Joseph

I have not tried the latest beta, but I did try GLD1.0 a while back.

What a POS!

It was 1/2 the speed of the old G200 D3D wrapper.

It didn't support all of the calls properly, which made every game I tried it on look like crap.

It was a bitch to get rid of, because it replaces several files in your windows\system folder, which leaves OGL completely disabled after you un-install it. (Since it doesn't put the original files back)

I won't bother trying ver 2.0. If you decide to, make sure to backup your opengl32.dll and glu32.dll files in the windows\system folder first...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I tried it a while back and I have to agree with Kruzin, it sucked. It does what it claims, allows you to play openGL games without 3D hardware. On my Mill2 I actually played Quake3, but at 0.1 fps at all the lowest settings. Needless to say, by the time my screen refreshed I was already across the room. The program is great for a novelty item, but realistically it just doesn't cut it.

-neo

Comment

Man, you guys are so right. I installed and tried out both versions today, 1.1 and 2.0, and all I can say is that it is a piece of SH*T, hehe. OpenGL screen-savers would screw up on me or go crazy. I feel that 5.25 drivers do a better job for the G200. Oh well, we'll see if Sci-Tech repsonds with something newer or not.

Comment

Working...
        X