DVD and 'The Matrix' -- not Matrox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD and 'The Matrix' -- not Matrox

I just got my new computer up and running, and I got the G400 32MB DH for display. Anyway, I am trying to watch 'The Matrix' on dvd and I am having problems. I can't get into the 'Special Features' section of the dvd and the pcFriendly software is also not working. The movie and everything else works fine, just these two things.

So, I was just wondering if this is a problem that others are experiencing with matroxDVD, or do I have a defective 'The Matrix' (again, not Matrox or Maxtor).

Thanks in advance --joe

Actually, the problem is that The Matrix uses all the DVD specs to the fullest, so a lot of older DVD players (wether ROM or standalone) have problems with it. PC Friendly has setup a FAQ and support page specifically for this. I saw the link at a DVD news page, but cant find the it anymore. Just head to PC friendly home page and it's right there.
    A computer is like sex. Your never 100% sure what your doing but when all goes well, it feels REAL good.

Comment

On the Wired Website, there is an article regarding the Matrix DVD. Aparently there are some major compatibility problems with older DVD players (and DVD ROM's). A friend of mine is having the same issues. I can play the movie (on a Samsung DVD-ROM 430) through the Matrox DVD player but can't select the special features. If I use the PCFriendly DVD-ROM stuff, I get the Special Features but crappy sound quality. The PCFriendly software also replaces the Matrox DVD Player as the default (I believe the Matrox DVD player is way better).

Sean

------------------
      Pentium II 350MHz, 128MB RAM ,10GB + 850 MB Driver, Samsung DVD, Diamond Monster Sound II, and of course a G400 32MB DH (O/C 200/150)

Pentium III 500MHz, 128MB RAM ,10GB + 850 MB Driver, Samsung DVD, Diamond Monster Sound II, and of course a G400 32MB DH (O/C 200/150)
      blah blah blah

Comment

Wow!!! I just watched that movie the other night on my system. The Matrox G400 DH performed perfectly.

I did see that PCFriendly DVD-ROM stuff and didn't wan't to use it cause I already have too many other useles programs on my system.

I give it a shot, and see what pans out...

Comment

There are two ways to get the menus working in the Matrix.

One is to use WinDVD (version 1.297 works fine for me).

Or if you want to stick with the Cinemaster engine you need to find dvdpl32.dll from version 1.027 - this cures the menu problem.

Hope this helps.

DinAlt

Comment

I've heard that this causes problems with DVD Max output though...

------------------
            PC Power and Cooling Deluxe Chrome Tower case and 300W ATX Power Supply, Dual Slot1 440GX AMI MegaRUM II motherboard, 128MB of ECC 100 MHz SDRAM, PII 450 MHz, Matrox G400 MAX, Seagate Cheetah 9,1GB @ primary SCSI Ultra2 Wide controller, Hitachi 4x DVD-ROM, Panasonic (Matsushita) LS-120 Drive, Terratec EWS64XL sound card.

PC Power and Cooling Deluxe Chrome Tower case and 300W ATX Power Supply, Dual Slot1 440GX AMI MegaRUM II motherboard, 128MB of ECC 100 MHz SDRAM, PII 450 MHz, Matrox G400 MAX, Seagate Cheetah 9,1GB @ primary SCSI Ultra2 Wide controller, Hitachi 4x DVD-ROM, Panasonic (Matsushita) LS-120 Drive, Terratec EWS64XL sound card.

Comment

Hey,

I'm having the same problem...

I have G400 32mb Dual and CreativeDVD 5X. If an upgrade of that file would help... let me know where to get it.

I love the Matrix... saw it 7 times at the theater. I watch it once a day now.

------------------
              Abit BH6, Celeron 450, Matrox G400 32mb, 256mb ram, IBM 10GB, DVD 5x, MX300
              Abit BH6
              Celeron 450
              Matrox G400 32mb "MAX"
              256MB PC100 RAM
              IBM 10GB 7200rpm HDD
              Creative Labs DVD 5x
              Mitsumi 4x/2x/8x CD-RW
              Monster Sound MX300
              USR 56K Modem
              ADi 6P (19" Monitor)
              Windows ME

Comment