G200 PCI vs G200 AGP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G200 PCI vs G200 AGP

Are there any performance improvements for AGP vs PCI??? Obviously the AGP is a dedicated bus and that would be the nicest option, but the computer I'm upgrading does not have that option. Are there any charts out there showing the details???

The PCI G200 cannot texture from system memory. I think most PCI G200 are OEM version which you cannot upgrade to 16MB. If you use G200 for gaming, then it won't last very long as current games need more then 8MB of texture memory for high detailed gameplay. Most game-centric benchmarks show that G200 PCI is slower the its AGP counterpart.

There won't be any significant difference in 2D performance. So if you use it mostly for normal 2D works, then it should be fine.
    KJ Liew

Comment

As a total Matrox fan, hate to say this....but if you are upgrading an older system without an AGP port, the PCI G200's are a poor choice. Systems which are 'not exactly on the cutting edge' need all the help they can get. I would strongly suggest looking for a PCI Voodoo Banchee, which runs circles around a G200 on a PCI bus. An OEM Banchee-based card can be had for about $40. Plus...the Banchee has 16 Meg of memory. Go check www.pricewatch.com

[This message has been edited by EchoWars (edited 10-02-1999).]

[This message has been edited by EchoWars (edited 10-02-1999).]

Comment

The system is an extra system that I have at work, it's a P200 with no AGP. I need something that will drive a 21" monitor for good 2D only... my boss would shoot me if I played Quake at work.

The system's primary purpose is to run CAD like programs, and I have heard that the G200 AGP is very strong in the 2D department and was curious if the PCI version is too.

I would go out and buy an new motherboard and such, but it's not worth it, this is just an extra system that I am part-piecing together.

Thanks.

Comment

A PCI G200 will suit you fine. In fact, the image quality on you monitor will be very evident, and the G200 is the best PCI video card out there as far as image quality goes, and it is fast in 2D. If you do the occasional 3D game, it will run it about the same as the Banshee (or Banchee) on your system. G200 all the way.

Rags

------------------
          FedEx Sucks!

Comment

A PCI G200 is definitely worth having for 2D, and you can always use it later to support a secondary monitor.

Thing is: G200 PCI cards are really hard to find and may cost you more that a Voodoo3 2000 with double the memory...

Comment

That's the thing...finding a G200 PCI. And my buddie has a Banchee on a Pentium Pro 200 (PCI, of course), that runs like the dickens. If 2d is all you are worried about, track down a G200 for the PCI slot. I assumed, incorrectly, that 3d was an issue. And the Banchee IS faster...but I like my Mill G200 better anyway.

Comment

Try http://www.pcstop.com

Comment

Working...
                X