Complete disregard for Canada - G400 MAX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete disregard for Canada - G400 MAX

For a Canadian company, Matrox is showing complete disdain for consumers in its home country.

I am well aware that Matrox, like other companies, are primarily profit-driven, and that the U.S. is its largest market. I am also aware of the "problems" they have had with the hardware, specifically the G400 Max.

But when I preordered a video card on July 17 of this year, from a company that deals with a large Canadian distributor (Supercom, out of Toronto) and that distributor STILL has not received one single video card while store shelves in the U.S. retail chains are carrying off-the-shelf Max's, to me that sounds like Matrox simply doesn't WANT business in its home country.

Sure, I could order from the on-line store, but I have prepaid for the card. It would be another matter if the company was based in a different country. Hey, it's not like it's illegal to buy a Matrox video card in Canada.

I would bet that NO American company would go to such lengths to saturate foreign countries with their products without making those products readily available at home.

September 9 was supposed to be the date when shipping for the G400 max was to be in full swing. It is now October 1 and still no video card.

Well, there is an easy solution to my problem: get a TNT2 Ultra or a 3dfx card. Matrox must be doing so well they obviously don't want my business.

....Tessen....
    ....Gregory Mate....

Dude, yer smokin dope if you think that MAXs are on the shelves down here.

The only people (with a very very few exceptions) who have a MAX got it from the Matrox on-line store. There are simply no MAXs in the retail chains anywhere in the world. Most people who pre-ordered from a 2nd-tier reseller cancelled that order, and got their card direct from Matrox (who are just now starting to be able to meet their own pre-orders).

You are not alone, and it's not just Canadians who can't get MAXs from retail outlets.

Vanilla G400s are a different story...they can be found fairly easily around here...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I don't know about Max availability from Supercom, but I got my vanilla on July 5th from Supercom Vancouver.

If you have an account with Ingram Micro, they are showing 165 Max's to be delivered on the 7th of October.

------------------
      Cel 266@448 on Asus P2b (1009), 128MB, OEM G400/16, Quantum Obsidian S12, Fujitsu 5.25gb, MX300, Dlink 530, Grey Cat, Orange Cat (still MIA)
      --
      Reports of Sig5.2x being 40% more interesting than Sig5.13 were greatly exaggerated...

Games Box
      --------------
      Windows 2000Pro, ASUS A7Pro, Duron 750@950, 192MB Micron PC133, OEM Radeon DDR, 15gb Quantum Fireball+ LM, Fujitsu 5.25gb, Pioneer 32x slot load CDROM, SB Live! Value, LinkSys LNE100, Altec Lansing ACS45.2, Samsung Syncmaster 955DF, Sycom 300va UPS

Video Box
      ------
      Windows 2000Pro, PIII700 on ASUS CUBX, 256mb Micron PC133, Vanilla G400/32 (PD5.14), Hauppage WinTV-DBX, LinkSys LNE100, 8.4gb Maxtor HD, 40gb 7200 Western Digital, Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer 32x SCSI Slot load CDROM, Pioneer 10x Slot load DVD, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Panasonic Panasync S70

Feline Tech Support
      -------------
      Jinx the Grey Thundercat, Mischa (Shilsner?)(still MIA)

...currently working on the world's first C64 based parallel computing project

Comment

Tessen,
        I think you have only 2 choices.
        Get the MAX from the Matrox Online Store..
        ...get something else.......
        I waited 65 days to get my G400MAX from
        the online store and let me tell you that
        it IS worth it!
        Out of curiousity, I've been to a few
        retailers in my area to inquire about the
        MAX....they shake their heads and reply
        "G400 what?".

Comment

Well, FYI the Max seems to newer get to know Norway either...

Yeah we got plenty of singlehead 16 mb and pherhaps a couple dualhead OEM 32. And now someone talks about getting the G400 Max avaliable on the G4 Mac? maybe next year...

G200 missed OGL, G400 missed eh itself?

Comment

There is in fact a store in Toronto that somehow managed to get some on the shelves for only $325 CDN (before tax). I have cancelled my order at 2 online stores and purchased it yesterday. If you would like to know where to purchase it you can contact me by email.

[This message has been edited by Hanorin (edited 10-04-1999).]

Comment

I've seen MAXs and dual heads, oem and retail, on the shelf at one of the local stores. He ordered extras when he took customer orders and they came in last week. My budget doesn't currently include the approx $400CAN (w tax) for a MAX, I'll wait a while.

------------------
              BX6r2, 128MB PC100, C366A@567, Pan DVDwHollywood+,Pan 4X SCSI CDR, WangDAT, Quantam UDMA HDs, Fireport 40 UW, SBLive!Value (attached to bi-amped TEAC/Hitachi multimedia system), SMC Intel 21041 NIC, etc. G200 Mystique as well.

[This message has been edited by Ron (edited 10-02-1999).]
              Office: Giga266A, XP1900+, 1GB PC2100. 80GB Maxtor, Matrox G550 Integraph 21", Sceptre 19"
              Home:#1.Abit IS7, 512MB OCZ DDR 533, P4C2600 at 3260, LiteOn 411S DVDRW, LiteOn 481248 CDRW,WD 80G ATA100, Audigy, 2X IBM P202, Radeon 9600 Pro as well.
              #2. TB 1.33G/KR7AR133/512MB PC2100. MSI GF4-4200TI, Maxtor 13.6/40G drives/Ricoh 121032 CDRW, Hitachi 8X DVD, AOpen 52X. etc.
              #3. P3-700-512MB/BX6R2/GF2MX400/
              etc. #4,#5 Various P2 with G400, G200.

Comment

Working...
              X