G400 MAX Lock ups !!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 MAX Lock ups !!!!!!!

Please help me I 'm very annoing with this video adapter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My system lock ups ramdomly even I start a game in D3D ...
    Someone have a copy of the bios 1.3 for the G400 MAX (i've changed to 1.5).
    My system spec:
    SBLive , Adaptec 2940UW2 , Plextor CD x32(SCSI) , Matshita CDR x4 (SCSI) , Pioneer DVD x6 (EIDE) , PII 333 oc 500 Mhz , Abit BH6 .
    I have already tried your conclusion force Agp x1 , changed the slot of the PCI (SBLive Adaptec) , enable and disable all .
    Every suggestion is appreciated .
    Thanks in advance....

First things first, under CPU Softmenu, do you have AGP at 2/3?? Have you disabled all shadowing in your bios? Have you tried it with your system clocked back to normal?

Rags

Comment

Yes but nothing change ....
      Can I have a problem with bios of motherboard or G400 ?
      Have you made a backup of the 1.3?

Comment

As you probably know, some people have reported problems with Soundblaster Live sound cards and the Abit BH6. Then again, some people with almost identicle configurations have reported no problems. Do you have the lastest BIOS for your motherboard? And the latest drivers for your your soundcard?

I can't help but notice how often the Adaptec 2940 series appears when people experiencing lockups report their specs.

You might want to upgrade your motherboard BIOS if you're comfortable doing so (do this first), and then, as painful as this is going to be, reinstall Windows98 and the *latest* drivers for all of your peripherals. God knows what's in your Windows System directory, not to mention your registry.

Remember, of course, to disable Soundblaster emulation and make sure the G400 isn't sharing its IRQ with another device. The motherboard BIOS upgrade will return its settings back to default, so you will probably have to disable all the caching options again.

Sorry, I don't have a backup for 1.3.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Try removing your SBLive card (as in, driver uninstall, remove from control panel system properties and physically REMOVE the card from the comp) and see if games work. If they do, then you can join the club of quite a lot of people in which their SBLives are killing their G400s. =) Well, to those whose G400/SBLive combo works, you're lucky.

Comment

Rags:

AGP at 2/3? Does that mean running SDRAM at a 2:3 ratio for AGP:FSB? (66HMz)

In other words: should SDRAM be synched to the AGP bus (66MHz) or the FSB (100MHz)? And if it's supposed to be synched to the AGP bus (66MHz), then why did I buy this PC-100 memory?

Bill

------------------
            People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...
            People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...

Comment

SB Live! and the G400 MAX in my box get along swell!

Maybe if people would stop buying lousy Abit boards and go get Soyo 6BA+ rev III boards, they'd be happier. :-)

Anywho, just my $0.02

Oh, and my Desktop Theater DTT2500 speaker set came in today. Can't wait to get home and hook up AC-3 to the Live! and play some EAX games/watch DVDs! :-)

------------------
              Primary System: PIII-540 (450@4.5x120), Soyo 6BA+ III, 256MB PC100 ECC SDRAM, G400 MAX in multi-monitor mode. V2 SLI rig. Two Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 900u monitors, 3Com 3C905, SoundBlaster Live!, Altec Lansing AC5 spkrs, 2nd Parallel Port, WD AC41800 18GB HD, WD AC310100 10GB HD, Toshiba SD-M1212 6x DVD-ROM, HP 8100i CD-RW, Epson Stylus Pro, Sharp JX-9400 LJ-II compatible, OptiUPS PowerES 650, MS SideWinder Precision Pro USB joystick, Logitech 3-button mouse, Mitsumi keyboard, Win98 SE, Belkin OmniCube 4-port KVM

Secondary System: PII-266, Asus P2B BIOS 1008, 128MB PC100 ECC SDRAM, Millennium II, 3Com 3C590, ADSL Modem 640kbit down/90kbit up, 3Com 3C509, Mylex BT-930 SCSI card, Seagate 2GB Hawk, NEC 6x CD-ROM, Linux distro S.u.S.E. 6.1 (IP Masquerade works!)

Tertiary System: DFI G568IPC Intel 430HX chipset, P200MMX, 96MB of non-parity RAM, Millennium II, Intel Pro/100+ client NIC, SoundBlaster 16 MCD, Fujitsu 3.5GB HD, WD 1.2GB HD, Creative Dxr3 DVD decoder card, Hitachi GD-2500 6x DVD-ROM, Win98 SE

All specs subject to change.

The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
              The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
              The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

I do not have a max (yet)

but i did have lockup problems
                trying to get my abit bh6 run
                at agp2x with g200.

happened to have FU bios - it did not
                like 2/3 agp/cpu divider.
                flashed it to LN.

now everything is cool.
                latest matrox drivers & bios.

(hope you get your g400 running )

Smo

Comment

I think the problem is the adaptec 2940u2w. I have an Asus P3B-F, 2940U2W, Pioneer DVD, Plextor 8x20, 448 SdRAM (mixed 100 & 133 mhz)... maybe the SCSI crap is just too funky fast for the Max. I dunno just a thought. Try pulling the 2940U2W and see what happens. i'm gonna try tonight. i'll post a result soon.

Comment

You may have something there with the SCSI. I have a SuperMicro P6SBS 600 mhz with on board SCSI and a G400 Max and also experience the lockups.

Comment

Hey rags ,I have tried the Matrox Tweak Utility (Powerstrip or Perftune is the same thing)putting the clock to 110% ,no more lock ups !!!!!!
                      Is this possible ? May be to use a video card overclock it?
                      Any idea ....
                      Cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X