Buy.com G400 waiting for over 10,000 max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy.com G400 waiting for over 10,000 max

Just got done talking to a rep from Buy.com about them giving me the screwball multiple times about the shipping date. Turns out that there are thousands of the g400vanilla on order and over 10,000 back ordered g400maxs. I am fed up with their extending the ETA. Anyone willing to sell me a g400 vanilla?

Also does the OEM dual head version come with the dvd software? What is the difference between the oem and the retail? Pretty box? That is all...

I don't know what kind of crap Matrox is pulling by messing up the whole distribution channel. Over 10,000 units on backorder from one vendor? That's atrocious!

Solution: Cancel the order from buy.com. Go to http://www.matrox.com, and purchase the your card at their online store. It really is not that much more money. You'll get it in a few days.

It's been speculated that since Matrox only generates a tiny percentage of total revenue from the retail market, the OEMs get first priority with the cards, then their direct online store, then finally the regular suppliers and vendors in the retail channel.

I'm in agreement that manufacturers should not be retailers as it messes up the whole channel. The above mentioned situation is a picture perfect example.

Comment

Alright, I have been sitting on this for a week or so, due to a bit of investigation.

Ingram Micro, one of the country's largest distributors, is not a Matrox distributor (currently). For one reason or another M won't ship to them for now. IM is, I believe, at the bottom of the lack of supply of retail cards. Buy.com and many others are supplied by IM, therefore the shortage. I will not, under any circumstances, reveal exactly how I came across this information. But, believe me, I can assure you that this is very true. There are distributors for the retail cards, and when I find all of them, I will post them, unless someone from Matrox wants to comment on this first, or tell us where to go for the cards.

Rags

------------------
      FedEx Sucks!

Comment

Not much price difference... try 50 bucks..

Comment

see my post on page 2.and just buy one he has a box full of oem dh x 32meg boards also.Maby yer too late or maby not .call and see.

Matt
          Abit BF6, P3 secc 700E AT 1001,alpha cooler,256 megs Micron 7.5ns pc133 ram, G400 32meg Dh ,Promise fasttrack striping 2 Quantum ka 18gig's + 2 10gig IBM's ,Sb-live platinum ,Cambridge Fps2000 speakers ,Onstream 30gig tape ,Sony cdrw ,toshiba dvd, Lotsa fans,cables ,noise....

Comment

Buy.com is notorious for backordering things for MONTHS.

I ordered my DTT2500 speakers from them in the begninig of September. I was told they would be in by mid OCTOBER, while IC Direct had them IN STOCK second week of September.

Needless to say, I cancelled my order.

If you see something out of stock at Buy.com, don't bother ordering it. Hell, they even have a voice menu option JUST for cancelling back-ordered items. :-)
            The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
            The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
            The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

I also feel it is quite absurd at all of the backorders and lack of boards in the distribution channels. From what I've seen and heard, I definately want to get a MAX, but I do not want to spend $250 for a graphics card when I theoretically could get it for around 200 at an online store. I'm sure a lot of people feel this way, and even though Matrox doesn't make very much off those like us, they are losing potential business. As I said, the MAX is by far my first choice card, but I'm going to wait until it shows up in the online stores. However, by that time there may be another possibly better card on the market. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Comment

Yes, the OEM DH comes with Divicore DVD software. Hardware wise, there is no difference cept the country of manufacture. OEM cards are assembled in china, retail cards in canada or ireland

Comment

Well I ordered my MAX from the place plmbr was talking about and got it for $255 with shipping and handling. I should have it next tuesday. As for Matrox and getting stuff to market I'm really starting to wonder about them-alot of on-line stores show matrox products..but i would venture to say at least 90% don't have any shipping stock! I say this for G200s, Marvels and rainbow runners. I was looking to get a rainbow runner for my Max, since I have Marvel G200 and want to be able to still watch TV on my PC when the Max gets in. Well I went to all the places that matrox has listed on their web page and guess what..NONE of them had any in stock. Even the Matrox Store didn't have any! As for online stores and the MAX I had one backordered from PCstop.com and they where up to 9805 parts on order. I wish that Matrox would fill these orders just so they can make some omeny! shit the demand is there...fill it!!! Any one have a Rainbow runner that they want to sell or trade for a V2 SLI setup???

Scott

------------------
                  Celeron300A@464 abit BH6 mobo, Marvel G200, V2 SLI, 128MB RAM, 19inch Optiquest Monitor, SB live!

Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

The Myth about the OEM G400 Max.

There is no such beast and never will be. A friend of mine (large OEM purchaser) was at a big show recently and talked with Matrox. He has a full list of all the available products in all the various packaging. Matrox has no plans to offer an OEM of their top level products like the G400 Max.

He says not to expect any large shipments of retail G400 Max's any time soon (read months!). Matrox was already suffering part shortages before the Taiwan quake. With the quake causing a massive graphics chip shortages industry-wide, Matrox will probably not be shipping G400's retail any time soon, maybe Q1 of Y2k. If the shortage gets bad enough, the regular G400's could be affected as well.

My friend says not to expect large quantities of any of the new hot graphics cards to be available either. Maybe a trickle of cards like the Riva GF 256 will be available this year.

I'd have loved to have gotten a retail Max for $185, but it's not happening. If you want a Max before the end of the year, you'll have to buy it from the Matrox store.

-Mikey-

Comment

Hey Rags,

Thanks for the information.

Do you know if Chips and Bits gets their cards from that distributor or how to find this information out?

I ordered from these guys back in June and can't cancel.

Comment

A great place for video cards,(sorry no maxes)is: http://www.sg3d.com/

Comment

I had the most luck ordering straight from Matrox. I got a G400 MAX for $258. I ordered it on September 19th and got it on the 22nd. Damn good. BTW, I love my G400 MAX that I am running on an ABIT mobo under Win98 first edition. My advice? Get a g400max ASAP, as it kicks too much ass.
                          -Jonathan Beilin
                          Abit BX6R2, P2-400, 256MB SDRAM, G400 MAX, Hansol 19"

Comment

Working...
                          X