Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G200 TurboGL partition!!!

Hi!

Why aren't Matrox working on a G200 TurboGl??? The obvoius answer being that I should shut up and go buy a G400...

If you feel like I do and would REALLY like a TurboGL driver for the G200, post on this thread. I'll mail the list to matrox...

Regards,

Jake
    Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
    ----------------------
    Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Why on earth would you want a separate partition on your hard drive for TurboGL???

Just kidding, I think you meant petition, but anyhow, I believe that with a separate team working on the TurboGL for their flagship model, we can expect better OpenGL ICD's across the board from their current ICD team, who now has the major load of getting the G400's OpenGL gaming speed higher. I think this makes sense. Anyhow, I would definitely like to see some better OpenGL performance out my G200.

Rags

------------------
    FedEx Sucks!

Comment

Thanks Rags!

Damn, I'm ignorant. I spell like shit. Thank god, it's not my primary language.

Jake
      Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
      ----------------------
      Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

Jake,

I wasn't calling you ignorant.
        Hell, most people that are born here can't even spell correctly...says something doesn't it.

I was just razzing you a little.

Rags

------------------
        FedEx Sucks!

Comment

I would like to see TurboGL support-

actually I would like to see them support anything for the G200.

Jake- is your G200 tweaked out? I wanna get the 8MB upgrade-
          a digital display of evolution
          (G200 with aid of Diamond Monster 3D II-SLI)

Comment

I can't see why there couldn't be a TurboGL for G200 I still don't think the drivers get what they could out of it. Some time ago John Carmack was talking about the G200 on the GLX development list and said that the G200 in OpenGL had the potential to perform as good as if not better than the TNT.

Comment

John has always had plenty to say about the quality of Matrox's hardware, and the woeful state of their OpenGL drivers. And it is not likely to change soon since he works primarily under NT.

BTW, Does the TurboGL driver work under NT?

Paul.

Comment

Well it might under Linux as he is heavily involved in the development of the GLX driver. TurboGL works just under Win 9x.

Comment

I would definitely like to see a better openGL driver for the G200, as I don't plan to upgrade for a least a year.
                  The G200 is an excellent video card that would benefit greatly from better drivers.
                  BH6, Celeron 464a, G200 8Mb SDRam, 17G Maxtor, SBLive, Win 98, DirectX7,

Comment

Us loners with NT and G200 cards could definitely use a TurboGL ICD (not MCD).

I have another machine just like the one with the G200 except it has a Viper V770 Ultra. The Open GL performance in Lightscape, Glaze3D, 3D Exerciser and other heavy GL apps for NT is about 5 times that of my G200 machine.

So, I would say that a Turbo GL would be most appreciated.

Note, this is not whats-his-face tylau or any other malcontent flame-baiting butthead. I only state this observation to demonstrate how much the G200 needs some help. I think it can do it, it just needs optimization. I am very pro Matrox, just need to get my OpenGL work done while Matrox gets things up to snuff.

------------------
                    PLA Designs, Inc.
                    Theatrical Consulting
                    and Lighting Design

Once a Senior Member, then lost, then back again. Very expensive computers that run really fast, and don't really care to brag about anymore. This is, after all, just my job.

PLA Designs, Inc.
                    Theatrical Consulting
                    and Lighting Design

Once a Senior Member, then lost, then back again. Very expensive computers that run really fast, and don't really care to brag about anymore. This is, after all, just my job.

Comment

I find myself very sympathetic with G200/NT-users. I doubt Matrox will ignore people running 3D apps on NT much longer. 3DLabs has a couple of $200.00 boards out now, and it has always seemed to me that this (the I-can't-spend-$1,500-on-a-videocard graphics professional is Matrox's market for the taking.

The G4 will ship with the Rage Fury, an iffy board with solid OpenGL capabilities. I just think Apple users, many of them graphics professionals, would be happier with a G400 and a solid ICD.

I predict, next year, Photoshop will run like a dream on the G-whatever.

I could be wrong.

Paul
                      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd rather see Matrox help the GLX project over anything else. I have XMMS opengl plug-in running, bu t it's a complete CPU hog right now, and I can't quite go 1/4 screen with it.
                        This is just an example app, I'd run real things if I could.

-Wombat

------------------
                        K6-2/350@400, 503+ rev 1.2a, 128MB PC100 RAM, Millenium G200, RH6.0 w/ 2.2.12, Win98, and too many classes
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I think what Ant was trying to say was that John Carmack, from a software developers POV, developing OpenGL Drivers for Linux, that the G-200 was fine, as long as the drivers were written correctly. ie. As far as Carmack was concerned, there was no problems with the G-200 Hardware.

Oh well, perhaps Matrox will reveal the source for G-200's under Windows (Unlikely though, as it probably shares code with the G-400, dare to dream I say) and some poor, but gifted G200 owner will write us some decent Windows OpenGL drivers for the G200!

Comment

I would love a TurboGL for the G200, but first I want Matrox products to support Miro hardware (tech support has told me that no Matrox products support Miro hardware and he has no idea if they will in the future or not). I know that Miro is in direct competition with Matrox with some capture products and such, but it's just bad when Matrox will just not support Miro hardware. My DC10+ worked perfectly with my G200 with the 4.x drivers, but when I switched to the 5.x (any version, even the new certified), overlay refused to work at 800x600x16@85hz and it's just a pain to switch to 32bit everytime i want to capture something. Hopefully Matrox (or Miro?) will fix this problem.

Comment

definitly i'd like to have a turbo GL driver for the G200 .. it's still a really good card !!

------------------
                              Giga Byte 6BXE, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram
                              G200 8M SD, driver 5.13, Bios 1.6
                              GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

Working...
                              X