Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 MAX: Direct3D is blank?????

Hi folks,

yesterday I received my G400 MAX. I eagerly replaced my old G200, installed the 5.25 PD, the G400 ICD, and the 1.04 BIOS upgrade ... and was deeply disappointed :-(

The 2D desktop and software is working as is OpenGL (at least QuakeII). But every Direct3D software crashed, even the G400 tech demo. In most cases the screen went blank with only the mouse cursor visible. Has anyone an idea what might have gone wrong?

My config PIII500, 128 MB, SB Live! Value, G400 MAX, Win98

have you tried disabling busmastering
    in powerdesk options?
    see other threads, among them http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/004628.html
    PIII 450, BE6, G400 32Mb DH, SBLive!, 128Mb RAM, IBM XP22 13,5Gb UDMA66, Quantum 10,4Mb, HP 8100i, Pioneer DVD 6x, Nokia 446XS.

Comment

To Maggi:

Yes, my desktop is set to 24bpp. What is wrong with that? What should I set it to?

I uninstalled PD 5.25 (G200 version) thoroughly before installing it for G400.

To Big Bug:

Why should I cut down performance by disabling busmastering? I thought I'd get a really fast card with best performance in Direct3D. If your solution is the only working one, I might consider to give back the card and buy myself a TNT2 Ultra. :-(

Comment

Arne: CHange your Display settings to 16 or 32 bit, cause it doesn't work in 24, also if it will not work go to bios and set AGP aperture (or samething similar) and set it to max u have there, if that will not work, try disabeling busmastering, if that will not work, get PD5 hack from murc website. and force AGP 1X, and if That will not work, try reinstalling all of your system drivers (not windows, like
        "AGP to PCI bridge" etc, and if That will not work (last thing helped and 16b halped, and AGP 1 helped on my machine) than i dunno
        Matrox Millennium G400 Dual Head - English
        Resolution 800*600
        Color Depth 16-bit Color
        Frame Buffer Triple buffering
        Refresh Rate VSync Off
        CPU Optimization AMD 3DNow!(tm)
        3DMark Result 5420.49 3DMarks
        Synthetic CPU 3D Speed 9142.76 CPU 3DMarks
        Rasterizer Score 2206.33 3DRasterMarks
        Game 1 - Race 63.58 FPS
        Game 2 - First Person 47.24 FPS
        Processor Type AMD-K7(tm) Processor
        Processor Speed 500 MHz
        Physical Memory 128 MB

Comment

yep, Speedy is right ...

24bpp is NOT hardware accelerated !!!
          (read the readme.txt of the drivers )

Just set to 32bpp for truecolor apps and 16bpp for 16bit games/apps.

Have Fun !!!

------------------
          Cheerio,
          Maggi
          Millenium G400 32MB DH
          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
          Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
          be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
          4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
          2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
          4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
          Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
          LG BH10LS38
          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Did you completely remove the old G200 drivers before you installed the G400? If you haven't you may want to remove all of the matrox drivers (instructions are on Matrox's web site). And the 24 bit color thing could be the problem too.

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

One of the saddest consequences of Extreme Matrox Bus Mastering (EMBM) surely is that it leads otherwise totally normal folks to waste their time on total BS (obviously a dangerous and destructive variant of BM). I have to include myself here, I'm afraid, after 3 or 4 days of futile 'trouble shooting'.

But this one really hits the bull's eye (or ass): 24 bit color NOT HW-accelerated -- Maggi, WHAT are you reading? (I was stupid enough to search the Readme files for '24', only to find '[10]24 [x 768]' -- caught again by BS[E ?].)

First: the legendary Matrox 24-bit mode is just a roadblock to the proper function of a legendary Matrox card called G400 ?

Second: the color depth is set by 3d applications themselves. Even that silly Tech Demo can easily be started from a 1600 x 1200 @ 24 desktop and invariably comes up in 640 x 480 @ 16 (if it does so, that is). Same with all games I know: they have their own config options for setting color depth and res.

Third: my current favorite, the Re-Volt Demo, allows you to set 24 bit (a unique feature among today's games). And it runs happily with it and is not noticeably slower than with 16 or 32 bpp. -- Well, it runs until that darn EMBM (acronym explained above) locks it.

Fourth: I start all D3D applications from my usual 1600 x 1200 @ 24 desktop (except Ubi Soft games, which require that you set 16 bpp before -- but that's another issue). They start up fine, but crash later.

Fifth: What Arne is facing is just a stronger form of the bus mastering problem. While I can play at least some games (though not safely), he doesn't even get to the first 3d screen.

Sixth: Disabling bus mastering for the G400 is NOT a solution. It's like sex without a woman -- or man, as you'd prefer.

Never mind. I can understand only too well that such things can drive you nuts.

Comment

EMBM?? Extreme Matrox Bus Mastering? Are you serious? Bwahhhhhhh

------------------
                CitrixSCU

P2-400, Intel MB, 14.5 Gig IBM Deskstar, Tekram DC-390U2W SCSI controller, 9.1 Gig Baracuda, SB Live!, G400 MAX, 19" Hitachi, 128 Megs PC100, etc.
                CitrixSCU

P2-400, Intel MB, 14.5 Gig IBM Deskstar, Tekram DC-390U2W SCSI controller, 9.1 Gig Baracuda, SB Live!, G400 MAX, 19" Hitachi, 128 Megs PC100, etc.

Comment

Star F.-

24bit color has never been hardware accelerated for 3D in any card. Most cards out there don't even offer 24bit as an option. This is not something new to G400. We had the same situation with the G200.

Matrox's famed 24bit was in the old days, when our Matrox cards where 2D only, and 24bit was a good choice for a desktop setting. This is 1999 now. Set it at 32bit, and be happy with it. It will outperform 24bit anyway. G400 does all internal calcs at 32 bit, then has to dither the colors down to 24bit, making 24 slower than 32.

And not all games set color depth in the game. Q2 comes to mind. It will play in whatever depth your desktop is set to. Try it with a 24bit desktop, and you will end up in software mode.

The only thing I can agree with in your post is that disabling busmastering is not a reasonable solution. It's helpful for trouble shooting, but no good for a long-term fix.
                  Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

32 bit offers no extra colors compared to 24 bit. It is very simple. First there was 24 bit color 2D. 8 bits for each primary color. But the problem is that memory chips deliver their data in 64 bit chunks. So the chance that you need two reads for a pixel is quite large since your pixel is just 3 bytes.

So they came up with 32 bit color. Each pixel still has 8 bits for red green and blue, but 8 non-used bits are added. So we sacrefice memory for an enormous speedup. Now each pixel is 64 bits, so it takes one access to read it.

For textures the extra 8 bits can be used for a transparency channel.

I hope this clears some misconception up.

Comment

Kruzin,

sure I know most cards don't offer 24 bit. And no card has it for D3D, not even Matrox. In fact that Re-Volt 24 bit mode IS dithered, but I do not want to make an argument as to whether it is HW-accelerated or not. -- Might be accelerated in 32 bit and then dithered down non-accelerated. --

24 bit is still a good choice for 2D and measurably and perceivably faster than 32 bit. The visual difference is absolutely null. Must be, since you only have 3 channels, R-G-B, with 8 bits each, makes 24 bit -- right? Those additional 8 bits are empty, and are there only for the sake of bus architecture -- as far as I understand it, but I don't understand much of these things. (BTW: I remember reading somewhere that the TNT does internal 3D truecolor calculations in 24 bit.)

All that, of course, is far from the point of this thread. The problem here is that D3D cannot be started. And it is not because the desktop is in 24 bit. (If you don't believe me, set your desktop to 24 and call the Tech Demo.) It is most likely because of the G400's incompatibility with standard bus mastering. -- Q2, btw, is not D3D, is it?

Comment

errrm ... could it be that your desktop is set to 24bpp ???

Another reason could be that there are some leftovers from previous driver installations ...
                        Use the uninstaller, reinstall the drivers and see if it hepls.

------------------
                        Cheerio,
                        Maggi
                        Millenium G400 32MB DH

[This message has been edited by Maggi (edited 09-24-1999).]

OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                        LG BH10LS38
                        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

curious, but am i missing a 1.04 bios upgrade, i have no ****in clue what that is but if it solves my probs i want it =P

Comment

Here is my next problem: after setting to 32 bpp, upgrading motherboard BIOS, setting AGP aperture to max nothing improved at all.
                            (Btw I cannot find those .vxd and .dll files that are supposed to be on the Win98 CD. Anyone to help me with that?)
                            Finally I switched off bus mastering. That was a step forward: I can start D3D games now.
                            HOWEVER, after some seemingly random time the whole system freezes so badly that I have to cold start the PC again. This happens sometimes after 30-40 minutes sometimes after 15 seconds. It seems to be independent on the actual game (Drakan [EBMB looks so cool!], Shadowman, Lands of Lore 3,..).
                            Matrox Hotline (in Germany) has no real suggestion but the card may be faulty. I doubt that, since other people seem to have similar problems with the G400 MAX.

Anyone with a better solution?

(PIII500, 128 MB, Siemens ATX D1156 motherboard, Phoenix BIOS 4.06 rel 1.03.1156, SB Live! Value, Win98+SP1, DirectX6.1, G400 MAX PD5.25 + BIOS 1.5)

Comment

the bios is here:
                              ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/unified/bios/bios_104.exe

And Matrox must have taken out the note about 24bpp being not hw-accelerated ... sorry for pointing to a false reference.

------------------
                              Cheerio,
                              Maggi
                              Millenium G400 32MB DH

[This message has been edited by Maggi (edited 09-27-1999).]

OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                              Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                              LG BH10LS38
                              LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Working...
                              X