X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which motherboard for best performance

Hello everyone.
    I think right now that my motherboard
    is the thing that make my computer lose a lot of frames when capture.
    It's a ASUS P2B.

So I'm think about buying the new
    Abit BF6 Slot 1 BX ATX.
    Is that anygood at videoediting.
    I really like the boards specs with 6 PCI
    slots and support for up to P3 700.

hi

my bro and i use the asus p2b to capture and don't get any dropped frames when we capture. are you sure it's the motherboard? it could be background processes eating up your cpu and/or other hardware such as your harddrives not being able to keep up. what are your specs ??

frankie

asus p2b, 500 p3, 4gb ultra2 system drive, 20gb fasttrak

Comment

The Abit BF6 is a very good board, but then again so is the Asus P2B. I severly doubt that it is the source of the problem.

Comment

My system is as follows.

P2 300
        Asus P2B rev.1011
        Quatum Fireball SE 6.4gig
        Western Digital 6.4gig
        IBM Deskstar LBX 27gig 7200 rpm
        SB 64 Value
        G100 & RRG
        WIN98 SE
        PD 5.25 & VT 1.51

The IBM is the capture disk.

Comment

hi,

hmmmmmmm, have you recently installed a fresh OS ?

i'm sure your system should be able to keep up with capturing with the rainbow runner. only thing i could possible think of, is that your 27 gig is connected to the ide controller on your motherboard. i've heard ppl say that it's better to run your a/v drives off a separate controller than the ide controller running your OS. just a guess.

frankie

Comment

A formated the c: disk and did a
            fresh installtion when I installed
            the IBM disk last weekend.
            And yes the IBM disk is on the motherboard
            IDE controller.

Comment

I was using an Asus P2B and had hell's own problems trying to get it to work with video for over 6 months. Finally I gave it up and bought a Bravo Baby system. I had it working and operational within 4 hours from the time of installing W98. Since then, never a dropped frame.

This is not the first Asus board we have had problems with: I also had a P-200Pro system which also was unfriendly with both sound and video. In view of this experience, my company has a standing instruction not to purchase new computers with Asus boards.

To be quite fair, I believe that Asus have since corrected these difficulties, but they still caused us a lot of hassle over 2-3 years. We are heavily into voice recognition systems and we have never had one working well (three different makes, IBM, Dragon and L&G) on an Asus board, but have never had any difficulty with any other (except for a load of crap in the form of a Compaq - also blacklisted - laptop).

------------------
              Brian (the terrible)

Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Do check the suggestion made by frankie above.

Make sure the disk you are capturing to is connected as master to the secondary IDE controller and the system disk is the master on the primary controller. They should also be DMA enabled - sometimes Windows forgets to do this!

You can put CD drives as slaves on either/both of the IDE controllers.
                Phil
                AMD XP 1600+ ,MSI K7TPro2-RU, 512Mb, 20Gb System, 40Gb RAID0 , HP 9110 CD-RW, Pioneer DVD/CD, Windows 2000 Pro SP2, ATI RADEON 7000, Agere OHCI 1394, DX8.1, MSP 6.5, Midiman USB AudioSport Quattro (4 channel 24bit/96Khz sound unit)

Comment

Working...
                X