Tape 2 CD revisited (Dr. Mordrid ?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tape 2 CD revisited (Dr. Mordrid ?)

Lets not forget the option of converting the clips to MPEG for storage on those CD's. Doing this in the 352x240 rez will allow about an hour per CD.
    Dr. Mordrid

Dr. Mordrid, could you go more in depth on this topic. I also have several hours on video tape that I would like to get onto CD-ROM at a res of @ 320X200. I would like these clips to be viewable to the largest audience possible as I want to give them to friends. I'm very new to the video aspect of computers and trying to find out as much as possible. Thanks!

try this one:
    http://paradigm.uor.edu/~harshman/vi...deoCD-FAQ.html

Comment

The URL doesn't work.
      I tried yesterday and today.
      Does the FAQ reside elsewhere?

Comment

I seem to have found another copy via AltaVista at:
        http://home.c2i.net/ruteng/computing...deoCD-FAQ.html

Comment

Try AVI2MPEG1, which is a DOS based freeware transcoder. Works well.

To jazz it up, you can use the A2MGUI windows interface.

Check http://www.mnsi.net/~jschlic1/avi2mpg1/

Comment

How is AVI2MPEG1 better than the MSP 5.2 output to MPEG?

Also, I tried to use the trial version of NTI CD-maker to burn a VideoCD, but it crashed both NT and Win95. I had to uninstall it.
            I guess I'll try to get Adaptec's Easy CD Creator.

Anybody out there actually burned a VideoCD?
            With what?
            Will it play back properly? Which players?

jeffw

Comment

Beware of Adaptec EZCD creator if you want videoCDs using the AVI2MPEG freeware.

Version 3.0 is said to work (although it has other problems if its your only CD burning app)

The 3.5 upgrade for some reason refuses to accept MPEGs made by AVI2MPEG. Unless this is fixed in EZCD 4.0, you may be wasting your money.

What I've seen of videoCDs, the best are sub-VHS in quality. Grigory has posted some info on "super video CD" that might be worth loking into before spending all that time turning your tapes into videoCDs.

--wally.

Comment

I have made quite a few AVI's and then crunched them to MPEG1 with a very reliable software encoder from Panasonic Digital. I then used Easy CD Creator to simply copy the resulting MPEGs to CD and voila, the movies play in Windows Media Player on any PC.

Typical compression I achieved: 1.4GB AVI 320X240 compressed to 72MB MPEG1. Panasonic encoder can be found at: http://www.pwi.co.jp/products/mpeg/index_e.htm

If you just want to get your video into your computer and then onto CD then this will be one of the best downloads you can make. $80 as compared to the inferior $250 encoder from Xing.

Comment

Just to second the reply from 'dchip'. I use the Panasonic MPEG encoder and it's really good. It's speed is OK also. The MSpro MPEG conversion is poor - it's very slow and seems to alter the colours (de-saturates them?).

I've never been able to burn a VideoCD with either the Adaptec s/w or Nero CD Burner software. Both complain that the MPEG is not VideoCD compliant. If your friends are going to play them on their PC then you don't need to go to VideoCD as they will be able to play MPEG straight from the CD.
                  Phil
                  AMD XP 1600+ ,MSI K7TPro2-RU, 512Mb, 20Gb System, 40Gb RAID0 , HP 9110 CD-RW, Pioneer DVD/CD, Windows 2000 Pro SP2, ATI RADEON 7000, Agere OHCI 1394, DX8.1, MSP 6.5, Midiman USB AudioSport Quattro (4 channel 24bit/96Khz sound unit)

Comment

Working...
                  X