Damn IRQ's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn IRQ's

First, why don't I have 1000 free IRQ's????
    Second, its prob not really a g400 prob but when I start my compu my isdn card doesn't function but if I restart (holding shift) then it works. This happened after installing sblive on my clean system. I moved around the cards but somehow there are five 'things' on IRQ 10: isdn, 2x sblive and 2x IRQ holder for pci steering.
    System: P3-450, abit be6, 128 sdram, g400 32mb, sblive, isdn pci, scsi dvd pioneer 303, Teac 6x burner, Adaptec 2904....

What can I do to fix this.... Or where can I find a IRQ explanation manual...??
    Why does my isdn work after restart only?
    Thnx

First, Ask IBM. It's like '640kb is all you will EVER need...' thanks to big Bill G.
    Second, boot up in safe mode, remove any duplicated devices (remove them both, so it's re-instal;ed next boot) in device manager, and restart. This should refind your sb live! and maybe sort out the IRQs. You shuoldn't have 5 things on IRQ 10. If you're really feeling brave, in device manager, go to system devices, PCI Bus, then IRQ Steering tab, then clear the top check box. This will make windows so it will NEVER attempt to share an IRQ again. This isn't really recommended though....

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

PS: Some or all of the above message may be wrong, or, just as likely, correct. Depends on what mood I'm in. And what you know. ;¬)

Comment

You can free IRQ's by disabling some serial ports you don't use from BIOS.
      If a device has an IRQ assigned it means that it can interrupt CPU (from whatever it was doing then) to serve it. The priority goes by number but I can't remember the order.. (guess from highest to lowest: 0..3, 9..N, 4..8)

_
      B

Comment

Hmm.. can't you force the IRQs for PCI slots from BIOS?

_
        B

Comment

KvH,

Did you try manually assigning IRQs in your BIOS? Can you give me a list of how your IRQ are assigned? I ran into the same problem with a gigabyte board with PCI video adapter and the on-board SCSI controller card.

------------------
          Celeron300A@464 abit BH6 mobo, Marvel G200, V2 SLI, 128MB RAM, 19inch Optiquest Monitor, SB live!

Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

This is the mess:
            0 System timer
            1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
            2 Programmable interrupt controller
            3 Communications Port (COM2)
            4 Communications Port (COM1)
            5 Creative SB16 Emulation
            6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
            7 Printer Port (LPT1)
            8 System CMOS/real time clock
            9 Matrox Millennium G400 Dual Head - English
            9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
            10 E-TECH PCTA128-PCI ISDN CARD
            10 Adaptec AIC-7850 PCI SCSI Controller
            10 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
            10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
            10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
            11 HPT366 Ultra DMA Controller
            11 HPT366 Ultra DMA Controller
            11 Creative SB Live! Value
            11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
            12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
            13 Numeric data processor
            14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
            14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
            15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
            15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

This is how windows does it all the time...
            i looked into the BIOS where I can configure PIRQ-0 through PIRQ-3 But I don't know which one to change... My Scsi-contr.= PCI-2
            SBlive=PCI-3 and ISDN =PCI-5..
            HELP

Comment

If your not running anything on your IDE controller disable it in the BIOS under intergrated perferals. Then go to windows and disable it under device manager by selecting disable hardware in the primary and secondary PCI IDE controller. Then goto where it says intel XXXXX Bus master IDE controller and goto the settings tab under properties and pick out no IDE controllers. Also when you are in the bios take a look for COM1 and Com2 and if your not using them disable them. This should free up 4 IRQs. As for assign IRQs in the BIOS there should be something under the heading PNP/PCI configuration header in the BIOS. There should be a setting that says resources controlled by auto or manual. set it to manual and it will give u the option of setting the IRQ to the PCI slot or setting it up as legasy ISA device (thats the two different ways I've seen them in the BIOS). After u have done this remove the devices in windows and reboot the machine also it should reassign everthing after this also. One other thing their might be a reset configureation also. Do this also before u save the bios. it clears out the ESDI block or something (don't remember the extact name now!) that helps control PNP devices. if you have ICQ add me I have my number in my profile.

Scott
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Yo relaxed,

That COM-disabling worked...No further probs..
                Thanx everybody!!!

Comment

Well, setting up my comp finally, now that I have my MAX, and my darn bios insists on giving the AGP card the same IRQ as the SCSI adapter no matter what, it seems =\

I don't suppose anyone else out there has a Tyan Thunderbolt board?

------------------
                  Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

Working...
                  X