No announcement yet.

g400 dual head anything to be aware of?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• g400 dual head anything to be aware of?

A friend is putting together a system,pentiumIII 500mhz,etc.He had planned to use 2 seperate video cards and use 2 monitors,I suggested,why not get a g400 dual head.Makes sense -keeps pci slots free,saves irq's and gives him the best 2d card,(I know good 3d,too,but he uses his computer for business,only)
    Now what i'd appreciate to hear about
    1. how good is the dual head feature
    2.How easy is it to configure
    3.What,if any,problems may arise
    4.Any helpful hints as to set it up
    I'm asking ahead of time,'cause I wish to live ,cause if something goes wrong,he's likely to kill me!
    Thanks in advance
    Operating System will be win98 se.Thought I'd better add that!

[This message has been edited by Alfie (edited 09-28-1999).]

no problem, just like two video cards.

if you are changing between having dual head on and off, you have to restart your computer, but thats not a huge problem.

Also, openGL doesnt work with both monitors active, you can go to your settings tab, and 'turn off' your second head if you want to do openGl work.

i notice with mine that if I have my second head too close to my main monitor, I get slight interferance. My second head is a VERY old monitor though.

Hope this helps

Ali

Comment

Can't specify refresh rate for second monitor, no custom settings either...

So right now it defaults at 60hz on second head for all resolutions, even though the second head can do 1280x1024@85hz in hardware. 60hz sux :/ flicker flicker flicker bluuuur bluuur esp on monitors that aren't brand spanking new.

New drivers should fix...they damn well better.

Dualhead DOES work with OGL games (for me in 5.25 anyway, proof supplied on demand) BUT:

No zoom (I found out it changed back to 1024 when I zoomed in, no wonder the 'free sniper mode' didn't work so well
      No multimon

DVDmax is kinda picky too, 800x600 or lower only.

Its all drivers, they need to let you pick monitor profiles and refresh rates for each head....badly. Not just in multimon either.

The hardware is very capable though.

Comment

Working...
      X