Help, Black Screen At Startup!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, Black Screen At Startup!!!!

I just bought a G400 Max and I never had a black screen at boot up, so I know that the G400 is the problem. My machine starts up, and won't load any part of the operating system.
    I have to hit the reset button in order for it to work properly. Then the computer boots up fine. I am using the original drivers that came with my computer. I have a A-Bit BX6 motherboard, PIII 450, Maxtor 8.4 gig HD, AcerView 55 monitor, SB 64, 128 meg SDRAM, etc....
    If you have heard of this problem before, please relpy.
    Thank You,
    Ken

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ken D (edited 09-25-1999).]

Is the LED on your monitor green or amber when you're geting the black screen? Are you getting a single beep or a series of beeps, which would indicate a video problem?

The first thing I'd do is remove the card from its slot and reinsert it. AGP boards are notorious for looking like they're seated properly when they are not.

Good luck.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Yea I get the same ****in problem, the new drivers fix that.... BUT when you use the new drivers for me it locks up randomly in any program! so anyways good luck, i have a p2-400 abit be6 ata66 hard drive and network card + dvd decoder card + my g400, im gonna desperatly wait out for 1.30 or something... anyways i found out that if i install aureals drivers for my instead of my mx300 my comp doesnt start up because of that dos emulation thing that takes up an irq, always ****ed me up.... anyways yea good luck with it man

Comment

heh well i get no beeps when it happens and it is still green, and u know everytime my g400 ****s up i reinsert it and it works =P (until i reboot heheh)

Comment

Perception:

I *hope* you don't mean inserting it while the computer is still on, because these cards are definitely *not* hot-pluggable.

Bill

------------------
          People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...
          People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...

Comment

Of course not! hehe im not stupid, anyways i've upgraded the bios, the version, and the open gl, still freezes in windows so i disabled bus mastering... and i cant get into q3test anymore... well it says opengl subsystem not there or something so does that mean i need bus mastering for open gl =/ direct x games are working ok... but like im still getting annoying freeze ups... maybe i have that be-6+g400 problem... dunno nothings overclocked yet either

Comment

Perception, if your having an IRQ problem, and you don't play DOS games, then disable Soundblaster emulation: check off "disable in this hardware profile" in Windows Device Manager, and then, if you know how, "rem" out the two Soundblaster lines in your autoexec.bat file in DOS. It's on the root directory of your boot drive.

When you boot, instead of seeing Soundblaster emulation load, or get an error message, you'll see something like this:

rem LH C:\WINDOWS\ASP4DOS.COM

rem SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D3 T4

This will free up an IRQ that Soundblaster emulation hogs. If your board is sharing an IRQ with something else, isolate it. The G400 doesn't like sharing.

They put a man on the moon twenty years ago, and we still have to put up with this nonsense. I think someone should get smacked in the head. Just for fun, let's start with the Great Satan, Bill Gates.

Just as an aside, a coworker was standing in line at the DMV (in Palo Alto, I think), and he noticed Steve Jobs was standing in front of him. I told him he should have said, "Bill Gates has someone do this for him."

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Yea exactly thats how i got my computer to work, i had to erase the sound blaster emu thing

Comment

Ya, my monitor stays green, and the keyboard lights on the Num lock, caps lock flash a couple of times, and then 2 series of beeps... I will try and re-insert the card and see if that helps. You might be right about that. I had problems with my PIII and the only thing that was wrong, was that I had to re-insert it, and worked fine from that moment on. How wierd?????? If I install the new drivers, will I have lockup problems? I have no lock ups at all, once it is up and running......
                  Thanks for all the help guys.....
                  Ken

------------------

Comment

holy **** i think i fixed everything... i just set my motherboard agp 2/3 to 1/1 and i guess since its using my whole clock it works great... of course i havent rebooted and kept trying but why knock on wood =P

Comment

Hey, what's this about non hot pluggable things? I 'accidentally' have removed (OK, knocked out) my PCI ethernet card, PCI sound card and PCI SCSI card in the past. Didn't break anything - sound and SCSI crash my PC, but the intel ethernet card I plugged back in, and it reconnected to the network!

------------------
                      Cheers,
                      Steve

PS: Some or all of the above message may be wrong, or, just as likely, correct. Depends on what mood I'm in. And what you know. ;¬)

Comment

Watch it, Steve. I think you've just publicly voided every warranty that might have covered your system.

-Wombat
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Using a Marvel 2000 at boot I see the bios ID screen flash then my monitor blanks (amber light on monitor) until the 98 splash screen, then it blanks once more before I see my desktop.

I have an MSI 6163 Pro and the same thing happened with the BH6.

I have no IRQ problems.

As long as I don't put my Voodoo in! ;^)..

Comment

Working...
                          X