No announcement yet.

HELP!!! G400 =SPD not found!= problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!! G400 =SPD not found!= problem!

I have a Chaintech 6BTM motherboard with G400 16M,64MB RAM PC100 Celeron 400M,Creative Live,6.4 Quantum Fireball,Win 98SE.When i start the PC, in the boot sequence i see a message=SPD not found on DIMM1!=.The system work very bad,with a low speed(i guess).The system crushes,several times.I use another videocard (Creative Riva TNT),and everything is O.K. Finally i make one test with another motherboard Asus P3B,and the G400 works fine .What is the problem?Please help me!

Try setting the AGP Aperture to 256 in your BIOS.

Rags

------------------
    FedEx Sucks!

Comment

I know - SPD is a function that some DIMMs have - the BIOS can read this SPD information and set up the speeds (CAS etc) automatically. IT just means that you have this auto feature turned on, and your RAM doesn't support it.

------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve

PS: Some or all of the above message may be wrong, or, just as likely, correct. Depends on what mood I'm in. And what you know. ;¬)

Comment

You could have a bad memory DIMM on your mobo or your mobo can't handle non SPD-function DIMMs. The error means that your mobo can't determine if your memory is 66Mhz or 100Mhz busspeed capable. There can be a DIMM speed setting in your mobos setup which could be on wrong setting.

-Tumu
        Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset (bios v3.4),
        64MB PC100 RAM, nVidia TNT2 32M (was G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM), SB Live! Value LW3.1, 3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES, HP8210i
        Win98 finnish

Comment

1.I set AGP aperture to 256-no change .The same message:SPD not found in DIMM 1.
          2.I don't think i have a problem with the memory block.In the same configuration with Riva TNT i have no -SPD- message!I use this configuration (with Riva) for one year,and-no problems.I think is a some kind of non-compatibility between G-400 and motherboard.A friend told me :is about the power consumption of g-400!?

Comment

Hi,

I have the same problem with the 6BTM + G400. I mailed the Chaintech support and here is their reply :
            "This normally occurs when the video card is pulling too much power from the
            board (as higher end video cards need the extra power). Generally speaking
            the higher end video cards tend to prefer rev. 2.0 AGP slots, your board has
            a rev. 1.0 AGP slot. A work-around for other cards that show this error upon
            boot up is to cover the last two pins on either side of the video card
            (nearest the middle of the board when the card is installed) with insulation
            tape, it does no harm to the performance of the video card or the board, but
            should you try this, you do so at your own risk. This occasionally gets rid
            of the SPD error upon boot-up, although the error itself does not mean the
            machine does not perform properly."

For the other problems you are having with G400, try forcing 1X AGP in the registry.

Cheers,
            Jessy.

Comment

Working...
            X