Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I do this? Capture with G200 Marvel, edit on G400 under NT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I do this? Capture with G200 Marvel, edit on G400 under NT?

I have put together a capture system with a G200 Marvel TV. I have a 12GB removable drive so I can capture on the system, and then edit on my "real" system with a G400.

Right now, I am using MSP 5.2 under NT with Pic Video's free (at the time) MJPEG codec so I can even see the file. Should I just go with this setup? I can see the files, and edit them. Should I try and load Matrox's MJPEG? How would it work without the hardware being present on the system?

Also, does it make sense to output the result from the timeline in MSP to the G400's NTSC dual-head choice?

Or, do I put the drive back in the capture machine, and output it? Last time I used the capture machine to do this, I experienced jerky transitions. I could not completely get rid of this. I hope my faster system with the G400 will get rid of the jerkiness.

Thanks for any suggestions

Tape number two of my 8 month old daughter coming up if I can figure this out...

------------------
    ABIT BP6, 192MB PC100 RAM, dual 366 Celerons oc'd to 550MHz, 3DFXCool GlobalWin FEP32 'Lil Mofo' h/s fans. G400 DH, 3COM 905B NIC, Buslogic FlashPoint LW Ultra-Wide SCSI, SB16 ISA. Segate Medalist PRO 9.1 GB UW SCSI 7200RPM, Maxtor 20.4GB ATA66 7200RPM 2MB Cache, 8GB tape b/u, IDE 32x CDROM, SCSI 4xwrite/8xread Panasonic CD writer, 4 more various 2GB SCSI drives.

Tyan Thunder K7, 768MB Registered DDR ECC, 2xMP2200+, Radeon 9700 Pro, Adaptec 2940U2B Ultra2 SCSI, TB Santa Cruz, Pyro 1394DV. RAID 0 stripe set on hacked Promise UltraTX2 with dual WD 120MB SE drives. HP DVD200i DVD+RW drive.

You should be able to edit with the free MJPEG CODEC. You WON'T be able to do anything at all with the MATROX MJPEG CODEC as it requires the capture hardware to provide the CODEC operation. Depending on the speed of your system you may not get full speed previews / playing of final video.

The jerky playbacks on the original capture system could be caused by a number of things. Most likely having your operating system on the same disk as the file you are trying to play back or slow processor. I get 'perfect' playbacks (no jerkiness) on my 266 PII. Another thing - does your removable SCSI drive do re-calibration access at periodic times? I had a couple of 4 Gb disks in a system and they would do disk accesses every minute or so to calibrate themselves. This would cause playback issues also.
    Phil
    AMD XP 1600+ ,MSI K7TPro2-RU, 512Mb, 20Gb System, 40Gb RAID0 , HP 9110 CD-RW, Pioneer DVD/CD, Windows 2000 Pro SP2, ATI RADEON 7000, Agere OHCI 1394, DX8.1, MSP 6.5, Midiman USB AudioSport Quattro (4 channel 24bit/96Khz sound unit)

Comment

Thanks for the info Phil,

My capture system is an AOpen AP65 PPro 200 oc'd to 233, 128MB EDO RAM. It is an NT machine only because I run a firewall package that works under NT only.

It just doesn't have enough speed to do the "preview" function and render transitions without jerky video. The "removable" drive is an AV rated UDMA33 drive in a removable tray, that I swap between systems.

On my "real" system, I have a dedicated partition for the swap file on a 40MB/sec Quantum Atlas II. I have my TEMP directory on a Fast Wide SCSI drive. I do the video processing on a 7200RPM Maxtor UDMA33 2MB cache drive, so I can get good performance.

I did an experiment and I can get Preview from MSP without any transition issues, so I am on my way.

Now for another question, with MSP and the Marvel G200, the Preview automatically would output to the BOB so my VCR could see the signal. How do I have the G400 Dual Head send out just the Preview picture to the secondary output? Is it possible?
      Tyan Thunder K7, 768MB Registered DDR ECC, 2xMP2200+, Radeon 9700 Pro, Adaptec 2940U2B Ultra2 SCSI, TB Santa Cruz, Pyro 1394DV. RAID 0 stripe set on hacked Promise UltraTX2 with dual WD 120MB SE drives. HP DVD200i DVD+RW drive.

Comment

jeepman,

just check dualhead clone, dvdmax or zoom on the dualhead tab in the display properties.

evil

Comment

I don't think I understand. I do have a second monitor connected right now. When I choose Dualhead Clone, I see just another desktop.

This would be OK if Media Studio Pro's Preview Window was full screen. Unfortunately, it is a "window." Doesn't this mean the VCR will record my Desktop and the Preview window. In other words, the VCR is going to record exactly what I see. Also, I am doing all this under NT 4.0 so I have limited Dualhead ability.

Thank you...

Comment

jeepman,

if you use a tv as the secondary you will have no problem.-

evil

Comment

In my search for a way to output the result from my system with teh G400 I forgot one important issue. I can only output video from the G400, not sound! Opps.

I can use my 1/8" stereo DIN to dual RCA jacks to output from my sound card, but if the sync is not perfect, then it will be easy to see the result!

Should I just get a Rainbow Runner G for my G400 and sell the Marvel G200?

Comment

Working...
              X