G400 DualHead + Flatpanel display?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 DualHead + Flatpanel display?

I have to admit I know nothing about flatpanel displays.. except that they're still a bit too pricy for my taste, but maybe that will change..

Anyways, to my knowledge I will need some sort of add-on module for the G400 in order to use one.. These are not yet available right?

Also, there are two types of flatpanel displays? What do I need to know before buying one?

Do I need to have a regular monitor as a "primary" display?

Lastly, are flatpanel displays fast enough to be used in (FPS) gaming?

TIA

-Lucid-

------------------
    PentiumĀ® II 300 MHz, IntelĀ® AL440LX, 128 MB SDRAM, Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead, Toshiba SD-M1212, Seagate Medalist 6,5 GB, etc.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are two types of flat displays that I know of. Analog and digital. The analog displays fuction the same externally as a CRT-based monitor. You can use them with any graphics card. There is a ramdac (digital-to-analog converter) in the videocard to produce an analog signal for use in the standard analog (CRT) monitor. The analog TFT display contains an analog-to-digital converter within the display to provide the image on the analog TFT. The digital TFT displays have no internal converter and depend on a digital feed from the graphics card. The graphics card sends a digital signal (using one of several standards) directly to the display of the TFT device. There is no d/a and subsequent a/d conversion necessary.

In general, video cards (and the G400)require a daughter card to provide a digital output to the digital TFT display.

Their use as gaming displays is probably adequate, but I have no experience with them under those conditions.

I believe the major issue with digital displays is the requirement to match the TFT display input standard with the graphics card output standard.

(No, you don't need a standard monitor for a primary display.)

Brian

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 09-24-1999).]

Comment

Working...
    X