Sick and tired of buggy drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick and tired of buggy drivers

I have a g200. I've had it for more than a year. Is it too much to ask for drivers that work like they are supposed to? One would think that after more than a year, one could get decent drivers.

Here are some of my major complaints about the current ones (5.25).

1) The icons move all over my desktop after playing a d3d game.

2) Quake3 test crashes when I alt-tab out of the game or I get an Instant Message.

3) Halflife does the same thing as Q3, but with the addition of not being able to get back into the game after you escape to the game menu to change some setting.

4) Texture corruption in Halflife. This leads to the "rainbow" effect and the whole scene being messed up. It is so bad in several places that you can't even see what is going on (zoption level in the wonderful Counter Strike mod).

Now I'm not trying to disrespect the "Beta Boyz" here, but I really think Matrox ought to hire people to do beta testing. These bugs are terrible, and on a card that is more than a year old, one might expect that the drivers would work. I guess not.

These are just my general gripes. And it would be nice if they could possibly be fixed in the next drivers, but I don't have that much hope.

-MrBlue

rickn gives mrblue an "AMEN and HALLELUJAH" to that

Comment

I have a Mill g200 w/ 16 megs, Win98SE, pII 400, 128 megs. Running the latest Halflife build (1013) and running q3 1.08. There is nothing I can tune or fix to make it work. It is a problem with the drivers.

Both 1) and 4) are problems that have been confirmed by Matrox. The former being addressed by Haig, and the later by Omar (aka R0M).

The other two are problems that not only I have, but many other g200/g400 owners have.

-MrBlue

[This message has been edited by MrBlue (edited 09-21-1999).]

Comment

Also I'm running Halflife in OpenGL because D3D is a joke and unplayable.

Comment

Hey greebe, what did you use for settings in MGATweak to get to 238, I've gotten to 220 or so with the suggested settings in the readme, would be nice to squeeze out a couple more fps'
          jim
          P.S. I have good cooling with a fan on both sides of my card

------------------
          PII-350mhz @ 450, Abit BH6 mobo, 128mb pc-100, Mill G200 8mb sgram @ 210 with MGATweak) PD 5.25, IBM 8.4 gb hdd, SB Live!, winblows 98se, DX6.1, THREE BIG FANS, four little ones and a case that sounds like a turbine engine...doh!

System 1:
          AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
          Epox 8K7A
          2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
          an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
          SBLIVE 5.1
          Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
          IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
          Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
          3Com Hardware Modem
          Teac 20/10/40 burner
          Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

1) Check the powerdesk options.

2,3,4) Yes the opengl icd still sucks, and will suck for quite some time. Deal with it.

Comment

MrBlue, did you try ripping out the extra 8Mb of your G200?? The G200 runs alot better and more stable with the original 8Mb than it does with the add-on 8Mb ...

Try it, please?? Your extra 8Mb may be faulty, ie non-Matrox, even if you "got" it from Matrox.

Jorden.
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Damn Greebe!!

I can't get mine to go over Fo=180 MHz using the latest MGATweak.

I finally ditched the 8meg upgrade and it's doing much better now. I have a Tennmax lasagna on the graphics chip. I "Frag Taped" the stock heatsink to the backside of the chip and I "Frag Taped" small heatsinks to all the RAM chips front and back. I also have an 80mm fan (like a card cooler) blowing onto it. I still get corruption above 180. I tried 189 w/o corruption, but my performance in 3dMark Max went down from the 185mhz setting....

I wish I could get mine to go faster...

Paul
                Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

Its not the extra 8 meg upgrade that is causing the problem. My bro has the same system as I do except he doesn't have the 8 meg addon, and he still gets the same problems.

-MrBlue

Comment

Hunsow is right about 1) - the "dancing icons" can be fixed in the Powerdesk options. Just uncheck the "automatically save / restore icon positions".
                    "I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."

Comment

doesnt work anid in the 5.25 drivers

Comment

In the 5.25 drivers that I have it works just fine rickn.

Comment

hunsow: you must not play very many direct3d games

Comment

How many times I play has nothing to do with it, in fact I got that problem not only when playing games. With those powerdesk options I solved it, and I use the 5.25 drivers.

Comment

#1.. for a fast and dirty workaround to the icon problem, try positioning your icons the way you want them, right click the PD icon in your system tray and 'save' desktop icons. Then just 'restore' them when you're finished with whatever moved them about.

#2... <u>D3D</u> is a joke and unplayable?? Well that's new... and here we all thought that it was OGL that worked so poorly... perhaps one might inquire as to your version of DirectX? Since the later drivers require ver. 6.1?? But no, I'm sure that you're clever enough to have checked that; it's not as if you need any help from us... please ignore our various ramblings and rant on unconcerned...

-----------------------
                              Holly

[This message has been edited by motub (edited 09-22-1999).]
                              Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
                              -Jay Bulworth

Comment

Working...
                              X