Matrox to keep DH in upgrade path?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox to keep DH in upgrade path?

Anyone here have an opinion on whether or not Matrox is going to keep the Dual Head feature in their upgrade path? I'd hate there to be, say, a G800 released next year, with a dual head option not available. You get used to two monitors it's kind of hard to go back

... which may also be Matrox's idea in keeping customers loyal to them, since I don't know what other manufacturers are going to support this, unless it becomes a sort of standard.

------------------
    Ami Y. Koriuchi - foxyviolet@hotmail.com
    Asus P2B 1010 - P3-500 - And a G400Max now.
    256MB 6NS 70 GB of 10k RPM SCSI UW

Mustard is illegal here.
    Ami Y. Koriuchi - MY EMAIL IS DEAD

SYSTEM1
    Asus K7V266 - Athlon XP 1800+ - GeForce 4 TI 4600 128MB -
    1024 MB PC2100 DDR -
    200 GB UDMA100 7200 RPM - 60GB LVD 160 10K RPM

SYSTEM2
    Asus A7V133 - Athlon 1.4 - G400Max
    768MB PC133 - 75 GB of 10k RPM SCSI UW

HI SOMETiMES I GO AWAY FOR LONG TIME AND COME BACK YEARS LATER HI!

Heh. Good reason to keep/upgrade a Millennium II PCI. They make great 2D cards for the second head.

------------------
    Primary System: PIII-540 (450@4.5x120), Soyo 6BA+ III, 256MB PC100 ECC SDRAM, G400 MAX in multi-monitor mode. V2 SLI rig. Two Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 900u monitors, 3Com 3C905, SoundBlaster Live!, Altec Lansing AC5 spkrs, 2nd Parallel Port, WD AC41800 18GB HD, WD AC310100 10GB HD, Toshiba SD-M1212 6x DVD-ROM, HP 8100i CD-RW, Epson Stylus Pro, Sharp JX-9400 LJ-II compatible, OptiUPS PowerES 650, MS SideWinder Precision Pro USB joystick, Logitech 3-button mouse, Mitsumi keyboard, Win98 SE, Belkin OmniCube 4-port KVM

Secondary System: PII-266, Asus P2B BIOS 1008, 128MB PC100 ECC SDRAM, Millennium II, 3Com 3C590, ADSL Modem 640kbit down/90kbit up, 3Com 3C509, Mylex BT-930 SCSI card, Seagate 2GB Hawk, NEC 6x CD-ROM, Linux distro S.u.S.E. 6.1 (IP Masquerade works!)

Tertiary System: DFI G568IPC Intel 430HX chipset, P200MMX, 96MB of non-parity RAM, Millennium II, Intel Pro/100+ client NIC, SoundBlaster 16 MCD, Fujitsu 3.5GB HD, WD 1.2GB HD, Creative Dxr3 DVD decoder card, Hitachi GD-2500 6x DVD-ROM, Win98 SE

All specs subject to change.

The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
    The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
    The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

You have a MAX, why not make the Millennium the third head? Matrox should do a PCI version of the MAX so we can QUAD head! Now that would be cool!

------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve

PS: Some or all of the above message may be wrong, or, just as likely, correct. Depends on what mood I'm in. And what you know. ;¬)

Comment

Why don't you guys get the Quad G200 if you want 4 monitors from a card?

Haig

[This message has been edited by Haig (edited 09-22-1999).]

Comment

Or, if you get the P3B-F with 6 PCI slots, you could get the quad g200, plus 5 g200 pci cards, and still have room for your sblive. That makes enough screens for a 3x3 video wall If you want a network card or modem, you're sol though...
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Max 9 'seperate' monitors with winblows 89 AFAIK. NT can take more, with special hardware and drivers. [read: not cheap]

Comment

Haig, maybe you can help with this - I wasn't really trying to find out if I could do 4 monitors, I've got way too short of an attention span for that

I was just wondering if Matrox's next generation was planning on having a dual-head (on one card) option, or if Matrox is hoping we'll buy two of the NextBigThing (TM) because we've gotten used to our G400 DH situation

*amifiz

------------------
              Ami Y. Koriuchi - foxyviolet@hotmail.com
              Asus P2B 1010 - P3-500 - And a G400Max now.
              256MB 6NS 70 GB of 10k RPM SCSI UW

Mustard is illegal here.

SYSTEM1
              1024 MB PC2100 DDR -

SYSTEM2

Comment

Does anyone know if the second output is capable of digital output (if the digital out addon is installed)?

LCD is definitely in my minidesk's future. It is currently supporting the brunt of two 17" monitors. Just thought that it would be nice to have an LCD for the second output. Or 2 LCD digital display.

Let's say this is not possible with the G400, will Matrox make it possible for the next gen G?

Thanks.

------------------
                JamesA who BOLDs a LOT
                System Details

"light blue shirt guy? No!! YK looks better than him." - Dorene
                <b>JamesA</b>: Just a <b>Dumbass MURCer</b>

Comment

I think it is possible with the 'soon to be released' (ha!) flat panel addon.

(BTW: I'm in my blue shirt again today... )

------------------
                  Cheers,
                  Steve

PS: Some or all of the above message may be wrong, or, just as likely, correct. Depends on what mood I'm in. And what you know. ;¬)

Comment

Hi Ami,

I don't see why we wouldn't have it unless whatever AGP spec out at that time won't allow us to have it.

Haig

Comment

Groovy, Haig. Thanks. Maybe I will invest in another decent quality monitor then

SYSTEM1
                      1024 MB PC2100 DDR -

SYSTEM2

Comment

Hey SteveC,

Thanks for the reply. Found out that the primary output doesn't do digital out.
                        (Anybody knows if there is difference in quality between analog out and digital out for current/future crop of flat panels? Haig?)

BTW, sorry to pick on you for sooooooo long. Was too lazy to change my .sig.

Anyway, changed it to something less offensive, but with more na&iuml;v&eacute;t&eacute;.

[This message has been edited by JamesA (edited 09-22-1999).]

Comment

Hi James,

our Panel Link mod for the G400 will be based on the DVI spec 1.0. Nothing is for sure yet if we this mod will be backwards compatable with the MDR type connectors.

The only thing concrete I can tell you right now is that it will support digital flat panels.

As for the difference between analogue and digital, I couldn't tell you because all Tech Supp has are Digital Flat Panels.

Haig

Comment

More heads.. always a good thing. Too bad the Max is, for most members, hard to come by. Glad mine's finally in the pipe. I'm sure I will enjoy the dual head immensely, on a daily basis.

------------------
                            Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

Haig,

What is your <u>personal</u> take on digital flat panels versus the traditional CRT?

If I am not mistaken, refresh rates mean nothing on a digital flat panel, but rather the bandwidth between the panel and the vid card (RAMDAC)?

Anyway, thanks for the quick response.

------------------
                              JamesA who BOLDs a LOT
                              System Details

"To infinity and beyond!!" - Buzz Lightyear, Toy Story

Comment

Working...
                              X