Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• update and fix for win98 shutdown problem

I was having problems with my screen always
    freezing up when attempting to shut down win98 using the g400 on a AMD-k63-350, via mvp3, super7 moterboard system. I tried all the latest drivers, bios changes ect.. all with no effect. I then e-mailed matrox tech support and amazingly, they replies within less then 12 hours with some good tips. What worked for me was going to advanced settings and turning off all the performannce setting,
    such as bus mastering and poly acceleration and turning them back on one at a time to see what was causing the freeze ups. Enabling busmastering didn't cause any problems with shutdown, however enabling poly acceleration and device bitmap caching caused it to lock up each time. I don't know what these settings are for but they havent affected my speed in games or video corruptions. The other thing I noticed is that my agp is now times 1 instead of 2.Go figure. if anyone has had similar experiences please tell me how you resolved your problem.
    Thanks Dann Swann
    dan

Ya, I don't know if you've seen the other thread entitled, "shutdown problems with win98 and g400". There might be some useful info there for you.

I'm having a shutdown problem as well and get hanged on the "Windows is shutting down" screen. Spire gave references on the other thread to Microsoft's Win 98 Shutdown Troubleshooting Guide and the Supplement, so I went and tried them out.

Based on the troubleshooting guide, my problem would appear to be a PnP BIOS problem.

That is, I rename Bios.vxd to something else and then my system shuts down properly.

Microsoft's recommended solution is to obtain an updated BIOS.

I might try playing around with the Matrox settings in case that's it. Might be easier than fussing with BIOS and perhaps having to reinstall everything.

Has anyone out there updated their BIOS for an AOpen AX6BC Pro Gold motherboard? I can't find updates specifically for this board. The closest thing on the AOpen sight is the AX6BC Pro updates. Should I use these? Also, would I have to install 6bcp101.exe before installing 6bcp105.exe, or can I just go straight to 6bcp105.exe?

Thanks.

-----------------

Windows 98 SE
    AOpen AX6BC Pro Gold
    Celeron 366 PPGA (Overclocked to 550)
    MSI-6905 Dual Slocket Adapter
    64MB PC100
    Creative Labs SB Live! Value
    9.1 Gig Quantum (KA) 7200 RPM ATA-66
    Matrox G400 32 MB AGP Dual
    Pioneer DVD4 6X CD-Rom 32X

Comment

I don't have a PRO oe Pro Gold, just regular AX6BC. But, I can tell you that AOpen's Bios are cumulative, so just install the latest one and you will be OK. Also my understanding is the Bios' are the same for PRO and Gold. There pages link to the same BIOS update page. The 1.05 is the one you will want to try.
      Good Luck,
      Mark F.

------------------
      OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
      --------------------------------------------------
      OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
      and burped out a movie

Comment

Working...
      X