Help, G400 Max intermittent lockups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, G400 Max intermittent lockups

Does someone have any ideas, this is driving me up a wall.
    Have had the card for 11 days now and have emailed Matrox only to get 2 responses, asking IRQ settings and what and which slot is using the PCI slots. Answered back but no response.

The problems are all intermittent and have tried to find a pattern or common denominator all to no avail.
    When running Expendable about 30% of the time it stalls causing me to reboot. Same thing with Tech demo.
    Also even 2d seems sluggish with any and all programs.
    I have fixed a few things and the locks aren't 70% of the time like last week. From reading posts here I first tried moving my SCSI card from slot 1 to slot 5, leaving 4 empty slots between the AGP.
    DL PCIlist and it shows AGP x2.
    Tried every setting for aperture, seems like 256 wprks the best. Also tried changing the settings for Video Memory Cache Mode from the default of UC to USWC but no change so I put it back (does anyone know whether the G400 supports USWC ?).
    I have tried most of the settings for resolution/color depth, but see change in the problems.
    Tried turning busmastering off but Expendable won't even start.
    I love the card went the turkey works, but this is getting to be too much of a pain in the butt.
    Hopefully someone here has possible fix.
    Thanks Red

Hardware:
    Asus P2B-F
    Cel 400 (not OC)
    196m PC100
    G400 Max
    Tekram DC-390F
    SB AWE64 (ISA)
    IBM deskstar5 6.2g
    Plextor 8/20 CDR
    Plextor 40x UltraWide
    Win95 osr 2.1
    Mag DX1795

Was this a new clean install of Win98, or did you keep win98 and Upgrade the Video card??
    could have some leftovers...

Also make sure your case is properly ventilated... try running the computer with the Case off, and see if it improves the stability....

Craig
    1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

Video Memory Cache Mode should be UC, according to tech support. Make sure you turn off the VGA Bios Shadow, and try turning off "Snoop Ahead" as well.

------------------
      Andrew Gallagher - andrew@agallagher.com
      Asus P2B-S (1010), PII-350@350), 64MB PC100, 12.7GB Quantum Fireball EX ATA-33, 2x2.1GB Quantum Atlas I UWSCSI, Toshiba 6201 SCSI CD, Yamaha CRW4416S SCSI CD-RW, WangDAT SCSI, MillG400 32MB DH w/ 5ns RAM(5.25 Divers/1.5 Bios/Fo=310.5MHz), SBLive! Retail (LiveWare2.1), JVC RX884V Dolby Digital Receiver@500W, Dell D1728D-LS 17" Monitor (first head), ProScan 27" NTSC TV (second head), Win98SE, BeOS 4.5.1, RedHat 6.0, NT4SP5
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Well I just turned off VGA Bios Shadow (Snoop
        Ahead was off), ran both the tech demo and Expendable without problems but as I had said
        the problems weren't consistant. So it won't be until tomorrw that I'll know cause its getting late and haven't broken away to eat yet (nothing new).
        But thanks for the suggestion.
        By the way, before the G400 I was using my old Millenium 1 w/8m , so I've been used to stablility. What a great card that was. At least for 2d.
        Thanks again
        Red

Comment

Regarding turning Vid Bios Shadow off, it still locks up.
          Am usings the newest drvrs.

Still not much response from Matrox, they just sent back 1 line questions with no suggestions. Todays was "is VuePrintPro the only software not working?" It's obvious that he isn't even reading my letter.

Looks like its getting time to return this card.
          Tonight if I get time I'll start on wiping the HD and doing a fresh install, but this is a major pain.

PS
          new to posting in forums so didn't know whether to start a fresh post or reply to this one

Red

Comment

Working...
          X