1 BIOS, 4 PDs and 1 DX later -- G400 keeps on locking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 BIOS, 4 PDs and 1 DX later -- G400 keeps on locking

My G400 keeps locking the computer in almost all the games I've tried so far. In all res's and color depths, o/c'ed or not. In most games it happens very rarely but in some it happens all the time: picture suddenly stands still, sound loops on. No response to any controls, except that sometimes pressing clt-alt-del twice makes the re-boot. Else I have to hit the button.

One game that invariably will crash like this is the Re-Volt Demo found at www.acclaim.net (thanx to allagag for the hint). Play 1 or 2 races -- in the 3rd, at the latest, it will hang the machine. -- Since Re-Volt (like it or not) is a fairly advanced new D3D game (June 99), there's prospects that newer games will make it even worse.

I tried AGP1X, tested with an old SB 64 instead of my Diamond S90 (A3D, Aureal 1), updated BIOS, drivers, DirectX (6.1 to 7.0) - nope. Well, at the worst, it's a bug in the hardware design.

Those crashes tend to happen in games that make heavy use of AI or otherwise keep the cpu busy in addition to its normal 3D geometry burden. Ubi's Racing Sim 2 seems to be a good candidate, with 22 car positions and opponents' behavior to calculate. And this Re-Volt game, for what reason ever. So I sometimes think it could be my p2-450 is two slow. Putting it very simply, the G400 could get too far ahead of the cpu, find nothing to continue with and be timed-out after a few empty cycles.

I know this is a rather primitive account, but who knows what's inside? Try the Re-Volt Demo on a p3-500+ or an Athlon. If you don't get those lock-ups, that will confirm my suspicion. (And I'll get another card or, sigh, another cpu.) If you get them also, there is good reason for you to see your dealer and replace your early-production G400 with a newer one -- if and when the hardware will be free from bugs at last.

Thanx for your reply.

One thing I can tell you is that you don't have to worry your CPU being too slow. If that would cause G400 to lock up, it would be the worst hardware design ever. And in which case I suggest that you find another graphics adapter instead of rushing to buy a new CPU..

(but it's not that )

_
    B

Comment

I have the same exact problem while playing NHL 2000. It will often lock with the sound looping. It will also lock with a high pitch squeal or a scrambled video screen. I also have tried games that will not boot into 3D(HeavyGear2 for example). The problem either lies in the drivers or because I am using WidowsSE. I know Highheat2000 baseball will not work under WindowsSE unless a patch is used.

Comment

Check your mobo bios for the following settings:

VGA Bios Shadow - set to disabled
        Snoop Ahead - disabled
        PCI/AGP Bios first - set to AGP

Any other settings relating to shadowing or caching of the VGA bios or memory, disable them.

If you have the option USWC or UC make sure that it is at UC only.

Hope this helps. It helped me enough that Re-Volt has only hung once in about 20 hours of play.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Got it! Turned off the G400 bus mastering. No more lock-ups in Re-Volt and elsewhere. Problem is gone -- but 60% of the frame rate is also gone.

Might as well go down in the basement and look for may old Monster 1.

Comment

Well, surprise, surprise! Disabling busmastering appears to fix the hang problem some people are seeing with Hauppauge TV tuner cards, and now it fixes your problem too. How do we convince Matrox to fix the G400 busmastering support..?

Any Matrox employees watching?
            Alan

Comment

The easiest way to get Matrox fix that busmastering problem is to give them enough info about your system and installation for them, so they can reproduce the hangups. If they can't reproduce those hangs, it's quite hard to fix it.

-Tumu

------------------
              Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset (bios v3.3),
              64MB PC100 RAM, G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM (not overclocked, a fan, bios v2.6),
              PD5.25, SB16 Value, 3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES,
              Win95OSR2.1 finnish

Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset (bios v3.4),
              64MB PC100 RAM, nVidia TNT2 32M (was G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM), SB Live! Value LW3.1, 3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES, HP8210i
              Win98 finnish

Comment

I don't know if they really can fix such a thing as bus mastering. And if they can, it would be a BIOS update, not a driver one.
                Bus mastering is a method to transfer data from main memory to respective peripheral without CPU being involved in the process, so it happens pretty much on the hardware level. Basically if it's very uncompatible with some chipset, I wonder if it even can be fixed by firmware.

_
                B

Comment

Obviously, you're right; Matrox (like any other vendor) needs to be able to reproduce the problem in order to fix it. My scenario is pretty simple, very standard mainboard, very standard cards, etc. so this shouldn't be too difficult to reproduce. Which makes me wonder why this problem wasn't discovered before the card shipped! If, indeed, it is a G400 problem, of course: the "PCIList" utility shows many busmaster devices on my system (USB bus, modem card, sound card). It's only when I add the TV card to my system that all hell breaks loose. Hauppauge, of course, insist it can't be a problem with their card. However, other users have confirmed that the Hauppauge card works OK with G400 busmastering disabled, and also the Hauppauge card works in non-G400 systems...

Alan

Comment

Re-Volt demo runs like a champ ( my son has had at least 2 90 minute sessions on weekends). Bus mastering is enabled, 3DMark showes about 3950,etc. You need to play with BIOS setting for MoBo - that would be my guess. I run Abit BH-6 with 300A@464, G400 32Meg OEM, SB AWE 64, Kenwood 52x, 128 MB ram, Maxtor 4.3 Gig HD. There are no lockups, freezes,etc. The only issue I have is with Win 98 SE - after stand-by, the new hardware wizard finds an unknown device sometimes(seems like an APM bug). Cancelling it returns me back to normal. Be patient - I found some strange effects from BIOS before.

Comment

I used to have a similar problem. I worked
                      it out this way:
                      a) MOBO Bios: Load Default (optimal) settings.
                      b) G400 Drivers: Default settings.
                      c) Windows registry: Force AGPx1 instead of
                      AGPx2.

regards

[This message has been edited by VISADE (edited 09-21-1999).]

Comment

Working...
                      X