PDA

View Full Version : Help! S-video output to TV only in Black&White

Nuno
16th September 1999, 13:51
I think the topic is self explanatory. I got a S-video/SCART cable (used a composite/scart before) and the picture is there, but all in black and white. I have PAL selected, obviously B&W is disabled, and with the same settings, if I change the cables, composite gives me color, and S-video gives b&w.

Any thoughts?

Kruzin
16th September 1999, 14:25
Last time someone had this problem, it was determined their TV did not properly support S-video. His only option was to use the composite...

Nuno
16th September 1999, 14:37
Thanks Kruzin.

IŽll try the cable in another TV and see what I get.

SteveC
16th September 1999, 14:48
It was actually the SCART socket didn't support it right - you need the proper svhs input to use the svhs outof the g400.

------------------
Cheers,
Steve

PS: Some or all of the above message may be wrong, or, just as likely, correct. Depends on what mood I'm in. And what you know. ;Ź)

Nuno
16th September 1999, 15:40
Now this sucks. IŽve tried it with another TV, with a VCR, and the same: b&w. Composite always gives color in every device.

IŽve noticed that the matrox cable s-video output has 7 conectors while the s-video cable I bought only has 4 (?)

The teasing part of the problem is that the picture with the s-video (even in b&w) is much more crisp than using composite (the text is perfect).

PurpleHaze
16th September 1999, 18:56
cable is shuggyduggy'd. Had similar problem on my rr-g input. Let me know if you can get a cable from matrox; i'd like to order a few extras after they're gone.

------------------
Ami Y. Koriuchi - foxyviolet@hotmail.com
Asus P2B 1010 - P3-500 - And a G400Max now.
256MB 6NS 70 GB of 10k RPM SCSI UW

Mustard is illegal here.

Simbaman
17th September 1999, 00:49
i also cannot seem to get that s-vhs ot to work...

could it be that the 7 pin connector has its chromanace in another place ?

Grego
17th September 1999, 00:53
I have had the same problem (still have) and I can see no other solution than using the composite. If you find out how to get it working without buying a new tv I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

Regards
Grego

Grego
17th September 1999, 00:55
Btw I tried sending the s-vhs signal through my vcr, and then the picture was in colour! Unfortunately the copyprotection (I think) made the picture otherwise unusable.

Maggi
17th September 1999, 01:32
Hi Guys,

usually any TV destination uses the same line for FBAS/Composite as the Y (luminance) signal does when using Y/c (S-VHS) connectors.

Hence you must make sure that your TV/VCR is set to USE Y/C instead of FBAS.

My Panasonic VCR and my Sony TV show me a b/w picture when I use Y/C cable but didn't change the input option from FBAS to Y/C.

See if that helps and report back ...

------------------
Cheerio,
Maggi
Millenium G400 32MB DH

Meek
17th September 1999, 02:02
There is nothing wrong with G400's S-output. It puts the Y and C signals to absolutely correct pins. Again and again, the most likely reason is that the TV or any other equipment does not support the separate Y and C signals needed for the S-video.

The original specification of the SCART socket did only include the Composite video signal, snd the same pin(s) are used for the Y-signal (B/W) of the S-cable.

Please, check the TV manual. If the picture is OK with the composite signal, the SCART is configured for composite Input. In most TV's it is not possible to configure it at all for the S-signal, but in some models it is.

M.

Nuno
17th September 1999, 05:50
Thanks to all for the replies.
No, it doesnŽt seem that the TV has some kind of configuration for s-video/composite input. I was not expecting to, it is a rather simple low-end tv.

So I guess IŽll be using the composite for now and some day when I get a new TV IŽll check that item.

I only regret the $12 I payed for the cable...

Grego
17th September 1999, 10:19
I paid about 40$ for mine http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/frown.gif

PeTe
21st September 1999, 07:53
Well, i connected my S-video/SCart to my Video - B&W.

S-video - TV( Second scart ) - B&W, but then i noticed that on E1 ( = scart 1 ) i could change the signal-imput from Video to S-Video, and there it was, COLOUR. =)

So you need a TV or Video where you can change signal to S-Video. =)

I just tested the TV-out and the pic is great at games and watching movies. =)

Pe-Te

Maggi
21st September 1999, 08:58
Hi PeTe,

to see the difference best, have a look at the fonts below the icons ...

FBAS is somewhat blurry, but via Y/C it's still readable in 1024x768 ... http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Cheerio,
Maggi
Millenium G400 32MB DH

[This message has been edited by Maggi (edited 09-21-1999).]

SteveC
21st September 1999, 09:03
....of course that depends on how good your TV set is....

------------------
Cheers,
Steve

PS: Some or all of the above message may be wrong, or, just as likely, correct. Depends on what mood I'm in. And what you know. ;Ź)