DVD drives for G400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD drives for G400

I was wondering what the best dvd drive was for use witha G400? I was thinking about the Pioneer 10X drive but will there be a difference from the 6X drive in movies? If there are better drives than this one I would like to know about them

Thanks for your help.

Thanks guys!

I thought that movie playback would something like what you said at 1X speeds. With the new 10X drives out the 6X Slot loading is like 75 dollars. Do you guys have the slot loading one or the tray?

Comment

I am very happy about the performance of my Toshiba M1212. Although an IDE drive the DVD performance combined with the G400/K6-3 400 is awesome. Great output.
      Ken

Comment

I have a Toshiba SD-M1212, 6x/32x, with my G400 and K6-2/400 combo and for me it works great.

Joel
        Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
        Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

I haven't yet taken the plunge into dvd, but everyone I've heard of who's bought a slot load drive says it's fabulous, and they'll never go back to tray load.
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I have a creative 5x (really panasonic AFAIK) and it works, which is all that matters.

Plex has 10X? Well they always do have nice stuff, but sometimes askk too much for it IMHO.

I'd go for pioneer 103 or 303 slot loader. [ide/scsi] slot loading is nice when you cahnge cds all day long. I love the one in my car, haven't gotten around to putting one in my puter yet though. Wallet is stressed from other hardware buys

Comment

I have the pioneer 6x slot load and found it to be the best one yet. I have been running dvd since 1x days and have tried each generation. The slot load feature is great, you don't have to open and close the tray. It plays all my dvd's no problems. I did update it's bios to improve cd playback cpu utilization. BIOS updates are available here http://perso.club-internet.fr/farzeno/firmware/. The only missing feature on the pioneer is SPDIF (cd digital out). My toshiba dvd drives have functional SPDIF. When you setup DVD you must ensure the DMA is activated for the drive for good performance. Note: Win98se defaults to no DMA.

Comment

Thanks dwight, great page there. Man you CAN find just about everything on the NET!
                Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

I have the IDE version of the 6x Pioneer Drive, and have had no troubles at all. Excellent drive, touch expensive, but worth every penny.
                  I can't see how you can improve on a 6x drive if it plays perfectly in my PC....

------------------
                  Cheers,
                  Steve

PS: Some or all of the above message may be wrong, or, just as likely, correct. Depends on what mood I'm in. And what you know. ;¬)

Comment

I also have the pioneer 6x and it works great. I dont think that you will see any difference in movie playback because as far as I know movieplayback is always 1x.
                    System:
                    Asus A7V rev. 1.01p bios 1011
                    AMD Thunderbird 800
                    SBLive retail with liveware 3.0
                    Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
                    LG Flatron 795FT 17" monitor
                    IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
                    Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
                    WinME
                    directx 8.0a
                    384mb pc133

Comment

Thanks alot; I think I gonna go for that Pioneer 6X slot loading drive; only need it for movies (read as Matrix DVD ). Anyway I have a MX300 and I was wondering if there was any way to output sound from the MX300 to my TV through normal audio cables?

Comment

Yeah, I assume you have the 3 phono inputs for video, left and right audio? Well, just get a 3.5mm (?) headphone jack connector to 2 phono connector cable and you're away.

------------------
                        Cheers,
                        Steve

PS: Some or all of the above message may be wrong, or, just as likely, correct. Depends on what mood I'm in. And what you know. ;¬)

Comment

The Pioneer 6x works well, although I'm not a fan of slot load drives. Nor is anyone who has ever had to wrestle with their car CD player for possesion of the disc

------------------
                          Dean
                          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS

PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS

Comment

Working...
                          X