maybe
    its the monitor but the site to download the patch was KUS. *Sigh*

Anything else i can try?

Specs.

Asus P2B
    G400 Max
    128MB RAM
    PIII 550

All else working fine (Fan, temperature, etc)
    Systems works perfectly with Creative 16MB AGP Riva TNT?????

Is the Matrox G400 Max ... a dud???? I have never had so many problems with a new piece of hardware before.

Is it possible that a plug and play monitor ... 14" with a max. resolution of 1024 X 768 is causing any problems. The system locks up the desktop. You have mouse movement but no input. The bundled TECHDEMO just hangs and the expendable FULL VERSION just turfs you back to the desktop.

**sigh**

Gary

------------------
    "Logic is a system whereby one can go wrong with confidence" - Charles Kettering
    "Logic is a system whereby one can go wrong with confidence" - Charles Kettering

What's your sound card? If you have an SBLive!, there's your problem. The SBLive! and G400 can't coexist, until Matrox fixes it. Disable bus mastering for the G400 to work properly, albeit much more slowly.

Comment

my sb live value runs just fine with my g400 installed, bus mastering and all. Whoever told you the sb live cannot run with a g400 installed was wrong. Did you mean cannot share AGP and PCI slot 1? AGP and PCI slot 1 share an IRQ

[This message has been edited by rickn (edited 09-19-1999).]

Comment

Sb Live and Matrox cards couldn´t coexit in the past, and it was Creative´s fault. The second set of drivers they released fixed it.

If a sb live/G400 gives trouble, most of the time they are sharing a IRQ. Being both bus-mastering devices, that couldn´t be good. Despite that, I´ve seen a couple of reports they were sharing a IRQ and all went nice. Can´t remember the motherboard.

Comment

make sure you disable the vga bios shadow in your bios. disable anything that looks like it might be caching anything related to the video memory or bios.
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Hmmm nobody musta told my PC that Creative and Matrox don't like each other. I've got a Live! and a G400. Before that I had an awe64 and a G200. And an SB16 + Mill2. And an SB8+oriinal Millennium...

I have never had a single problem with any of the combos. (although, I did wait for Liveware2 to come out before I got the live!)

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I also upgraded from a CL TNT 1, the solution was to reinstall Windows for me. Trying to track down all the TNT/NVIDIA/CL driver bits and control panels to delete manually was too much of a pain. Had lots of problems going from the G400 CD drivers to the web drivers as well, when I reinstalled Windows I used the web drivers only. Never had much of a problem since, just been software type issues with specific things.
              (AA in Revolt demo for instance hoses the screen, AA in X demo sometimes causes strobing.)

Some game demos to try, RollCage, SoulReaver, SlaveZero, and
              PrinceOfPersia 3D.

Comment

I've got a G200 SB live combination for quite a while now, never had any problem with it, with any driver. But I don't have a shitload of crap in my system requiring alot of irq's. In fact I have still three free.

Comment

Listen I had the same problem... In my case a little program that worked in the background caused the lockups. try closing all the programs leaving only the explorer itself and the Pdesk, disable even the Task manager if u got it running and then try to run the G400... also u didn't mension if u checked for IRQ conflicts so do that too.
                  I had a conflict to so I move the soundcard (MX300) to a different slot.

Comment

Grrrr

Stop putting the Sound Card in a PCI slot that shares an IRQ with another device.

On most Abit motherboards the unshared PCI slots are PCI slots 2 & 3. Slot one shares with the AGP slot and my recommendation is to only put a Card in PCI Slot 1 that does not need an IRQ, YOU ARE INVITING TROUBLE BY NOT DOING SO!!

Come on people, this is not rocket science.

Comment

Ditto on slot1.

Keep it blank if you can. Almost *all* pci cards want irqs. The only exception I've had so far is a Voodoo2. Why would I need one of those in my main computer now?

Sharing slot4 is not as big a problem, USB can share irqs a bit more friendly than most pci devices. Put a NIC or soudncard there.

Comment

You might want to try this little trick I learned from Matt (Rags to most of you):

Go into the BIOS of your mobo and disable ALL shadowing, including the shadowing of the ROM. As the G400 is an accelerated card, it wants to use all available memory, including that 25k of RAM the ROM is in.

It helped me getting most of my OGL games back, and I haven't had a lockup since

Jorden.
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

my combo of G400+SB.Live works fine no problem with IRQ or BUSMASTERING..

I notice that enabling 3Dsound with SB LIVE decrase performance so I dont use 3D sound... I would like to knowe why 3dsound with SB Live sucks ?...

------------------
                          PIII450@465,P2b,128mb,Matrox Mill-G400 32SH,SB.Live !(value)...
                          PIII650@806(fsb@124),ASUS P3B-F,128mb,Matrox Mill-G400 32SH,SB.Live!vlue ,IntelliMouse Explorer

Comment

If you haven't tried already, you could check if running with busmastering disabled makes a difference. I think it will, but the G400 will perform much like a G200.
                            P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

As per Whisper:

Matrox recommends that you do NOT put a card in PCI slot 1 that needs an IRQ.

Bill

------------------
                              People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...
                              People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...

Comment

Working...
                              X