G400 Marvel + no NT4/win2k = hobbyist product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 Marvel + no NT4/win2k = hobbyist product

I don't see how the G400 Marvel can be considered anything but a mere hobbyists product. I can't even consider using more advanced NLE's such as Digital Fusion or Discreet Edit since they are both NT only programs. I could capture in win98 but then how the hell am I supposed to use the file in NT? I certainly wouldn't be able to export the file using the Matrox MJPEG codec when the work is finished. All I can find regarding NT drivers on this forum is that drivers are "in the works" or "in beta". Excuse me but this sounds like the same OpenGL ICD fiasco that the G200 and G400 suffer from (don't even try to say that the G400 has a real ICD, run 3dsmax and you'll see why).

In regards to this, what would be the best buy in a true DV card. I'm thinking of the Pinnacle DV200/300/500 or Canopus Raptor. What would be the advantages of each and what benefit is there in the various Pinnacle products relative to one another?

What jackass told you that a $300 all in one card is a professional video editing card?

SwAmPy

Comment

what jackass told YOU that an affordable product has to have inferior driver support? Doesn't it bother you that Matrox is once again putting all its work into glitzy features while ignoring the need by many users for drivers that support more than Win98?

You must be pretty ignorant to even reiterate the phrase "all-in-one", the g400 marvel is anything but. Let's see, a game grade OpenGL ICD, no NT4 or Win2k drivers, mediocre 3D performance, rudimentary DVD acceleration, what happened to "all-in-one"?

You might want to think for a moment before slamming someone about highlighting a products obvious weaknesses. Or maybe you should ask Matrox for a PR job.

Comment

I highly recommend to buy DV Raptor.

Three reasons:
        1. It works as expected.
        2. It works as expected.
        3. It works as expected

Grigory

Comment

The Marvel is a "mere hobbyists product." I can't fault Matrox for not wanting to compete with their higher end products. Wait a minute. The RT2000 has no support for NT or Win2K either. Doh!

Comment

I don't think that you will see any new product coming out at present that support WIN NT. I have the same problem in my job in the telecom industry. Apps at present are Win 95/98. Asked where the NT version are and the answer is. We are waiting till Win2000 comes out.

paulw

Comment

Hi Ned,

After reading your message, I was about to post a reply similar to what SwAmPlAdY said... But then I saw that she beat me to it.

And as for "professional" vs. "hobbyist," I do know of several people who are making money using Matrox Marvels/Rainbow Runners. Getting paid to do something usually makes one a "professional," while doing the same thing without getting paid makes one a "hobbyist."

Clients pay for video work based on what the finished video looks like, not whether you use NT instead of 98.

Rick
              http://www.Hogans-Systems.com

Comment

Alright junior, re-read my first post and pay close attention.

- I wasn't slamming you nor was I referring to any kind of driver support. You were whining about the Marvel being a home hobbyiest card and that was all I made my comment on. A card that has 2D, 3D, video capture, video output, a TV Tuner, and a dvd bundle IS an all in one card. It has nothing to do with what OS it supports nor how good its drivers are. So I ain't the ignorant one.

- Discreet Edit comes bundled with Digisuite and other professional video packages. Are you using one of these systems already or did you actually buy Edit separately?

- If you already have the Marvel and want to work under NT, capture in 98 and then use a software mjpeg codec to import it into NT.

- According to you, the ICD sucks because you have problems with it under 3DS Max.

Under 98, their ICD is very fast. I have no problems using it with 3DS Max under 98. Under NT, it's slow. Under win2k, it's ALOT better than NT4.

"Doesn't it bother you that Matrox is once again putting all its work into glitzy features while ignoring the need by many users for drivers that support more than Win98?"

Huh? Just because there are no NT video tools doesn't make the marvel a piece of shit. It is the wrong choice for anyone who wants to do mjpeg video work under NT.

SwAmPy

Comment

Working...
                X