No announcement yet.

G400 MAX not working in Windows 2000?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 MAX not working in Windows 2000?!

Has anyone gotten their g400 max working with windows2000? I can't seem to get mine working. I get either the BSOD or it just stops responding on boot. I'm using the NT4 reference drivers (which apparently work) off of the CD.
    Running P2-400, Windows 2000 Build 2114 Tekram U2 SCSI board, 128megs, 9.1 Baracuda, 14.5 gig IDE drive, SB Live!, etc. Any help is appreciated. I'm beginning to think it is either my hardware or the card itself. The card works great in Win98 however.
    CitrixSCU

P2-400, Intel MB, 14.5 Gig IBM Deskstar, Tekram DC-390U2W SCSI controller, 9.1 Gig Baracuda, SB Live!, G400 MAX, 19" Hitachi, 128 Megs PC100, etc.

It works in Win2k just fine. Small artifacts here and there but still great. Search the forums. I posted a solution some time ago. Also Ant has it in his news page

------------------
    P2c-300a/450, 192MB PC125 SDRAM, Quantum Fireball Plus KA 18.2GB 7200rpm, Panasonic 7502B x4/x8 Ultra SCSI CD-R, Tekram DC-390U2W Ultra2Wide SCSI controller, Diamond MX300 (Vortex2), Creative Labs AWE64 Gold Sound Blaster, A-Trend Voodoo II 12MB, Matrox Millennium G400Max, 19" Hitachi SuperScan 752, Logitech Cordless MouseMan Wheel and some other fancy stuff

P2c-300a/450, 256MB PC125 SDRAM, Quantum Fireball Plus KA 18.2GB 7200rpm, Panasonic 7502B x4/x8 Ultra SCSI CD-R, Tekram DC-390U2W Ultra2Wide SCSI controller, Diamond MX300 (Vortex2), Matrox Millennium G400Max, 19" Hitachi SuperScan 752, Logitech Cordless MouseMan Wheel and some other fancy stuff

Comment

Do not search for drivers in the "device driver wizard" click on "display a list of the known drivers...." and then choose "have disk" point it to the NT4 drivers on the CD, ignore the warning, install drivers and you should be OK after you reboot. Forget dual head (if applicable) new drivers are needed. I hope the wait isn't too long.

Comment

Still nothing. I've tried it all and my computer still freezes at boot. It's just too bad that I spent $250 on a card that doesn't work with my software. I've tried the reference drivers and every possible solution, including native g200 drivers, etc, etc. I'm about to rip this damn thing out Thanks for your help.
        CitrixSCU

P2-400, Intel MB, 14.5 Gig IBM Deskstar, Tekram DC-390U2W SCSI controller, 9.1 Gig Baracuda, SB Live!, G400 MAX, 19" Hitachi, 128 Megs PC100, etc.

Comment

What chipset does your motherboard use?

If it's VIA, then you have found your problem.

Rags

------------------
          FedEx Sucks!

Comment

Well... When it works fine in win98, why not in win2k? They got the same features, and use the hardware mostly the same way too

Comment

When does your W2K hang ???
              If you cannot boot W2K with the VGA driver you should look at you mainboard !
              Try forcing not to use ACPI !

It took me about 3 days to make W2K setup correctly - but there were no problems with the G400 !!
              All Problems were related to my mainboard ( Tyan S1836DLUAN)

And remember - its yust a BETA !

tiqq

Comment

When it works fine in win98, why not in win2k? They got the same features, and use the hardware mostly the same way too
                Win2000 is based on NT technology which has nothing to do with Win98.

Because W2K is a Windows series operating system, it's designed to look and feel like the rest despite the major underlying differences.

_
                B

Comment

Win2000 is based on NT technology which has nothing to do with Win98.
                  windows 2000 is winNT and win98's directX 6.1 merged together. directX almost don't exist in NT...

Comment

The system hangs right when the Video drivers are initialized during startup. For the people who have win2000, you'll know what I'm talking about. Once I get to the screen that says "Windows 2000. Built on NT Technology" is when it happens. It happens about 3/4 of the way through this process and hangs just as the video drivers are to be initalized. I CAN boot in VGA mode, so I know that it is a problem with my drivers. I am leaning towards a hardware conflict with the drivers and the board. I can use the g400 drivers and my old g200 and the system boots fine. I wonder if ACPI has anything to do with it. It is rumored that Matrox will release drivers in late September, so I may just have to wait until then.
                    CitrixSCU

CitrixSCU

Comment

Besides, at this point Windows 2000 is still BETA (translation: all bets are off)

------------------
                      Dean
                      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS

PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS

Comment

windows 2000 is winNT and win98's directX 6.1 merged together.
                        Oh no it's not.. That's how it seems to you. Do you think that it would take them that many years to merge them?
                        W2k is mostly a new OS that creates a virtual machine that appears to you like any other Windows OS. Under GUI it's not compatible with previous versions, except that it is able to run applications that are build for other versions. But not all of them (according to Microsoft), because they are not the same.

_
                        B

Comment

oh Buuri no no. The OS is based on the x86 system, with bus mastering, agp, 3d apis, audio apis, same HD ide buses, usb etc etc etc.

As you said, they have been merging them for many years now, to get the directX up and going in both the 9x kernel, and the NT kernel.

So, all calls are exactly the same, from the OS to the hardware. So if the card don't work in win2k, but in win98, then win2k's video drivers most probably has enabled busmastering + agp2x. or something...

We are talking DirectX 7.0 here

Comment

Working...
                          X