Opengl is not dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opengl is not dead

It won't die either. Opengl is portable to other OS's and far easier to program for among other things. Since Matrox released the chip specs, the Linux GLX project is well underway and is about to overtake the Winshit driver. John Carmack (among others) is working on the GLX driver in his spare time and it helps with the publicity of other OS's. Expect the BeOS team to do the same with their next release. Hell even NVIDIA is starting to support Linux. So Farenheit seems kind of pointless to me because if it's compatible with DirectX and Opengl, which do you think programmers are going to program for? I formed this opinion with the limited knowledge I have on Farenhiet. Other OS's are gaining ground on M$'s territory and will continue to do so as long as M$ releases shovelware.

Old argument.

But regardless of which API you think is better, OGL is NOT the API that is being used in the vast majority of titles. Go to any store and count up the games that run OGL. Then count the ones that use D3D.

There's your answer.

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

True, but the number of Opengl titles is growing, and rapidly, and Linux ports are growing too

[This message has been edited by red2 (edited 09-05-1999).]

Comment

Hey, as long as our hardware and software all get along,(when we want a game or app, we buy it, install it and use it with no probs),
        then I don't care. If D3D works well, use it. If OGL is what ya want and It works well, by all means, bring it on. The only API's I hate are propriatary ones that require special stuff to run.

Thanx for lettin me rant a bit

------------------
        AssuP2P??,300a at 337,128megs of the good stuff,G400reg32megSH,cheapy yamaha PCI sound,'couple o' little HD's,42XCDrom and 98SE w/shutdown patch
        AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

no dualhead and EMBM in openGL, so who wants it

Comment

There ya go....the one we really want dead is Glide.

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

OpenGL is capable of Bumpmapping. If anyone actually ever uses it, I'm sure Matrox will write that extension for their ICD. The Q3 engine is BM ready from what I've heard, but Q3 itself won't be using it...but someone who licences the engine might...

Death to Glide!

Comment

Oh yea....just remembered.

Have a look at this page...Egerter software has used the G400 to bumpmap a Q2 level

http://www.matrox.com/mga/3d_gaming/...wer_render.htm

Death to Glide, OGL and D3D!
                Up with PowerRender!
                (look on the games forum for the PRLand thread for that cool dualhead demo)

[This message has been edited by Kruzin (edited 09-05-1999).]

Comment

Who plays games in Linux?

-maxie-

Comment

Anyone here heard about "control lag"?

Comment

_I_ play games in Linux. So do a number of other people. All you have to do is take a fresh look around. Id just started selling Quake I/II for Linux, Loki is busy porting all sorts of stuff. Civ:CTP and Myth II are already out. Q3 will run just as well (if not better) on a good Linux box as it will under Windows. (Linux can give it SMP support it can use, for one).

My favorite is still StarCraft. Runs great for me.

[This message has been edited by Wombat (edited 09-06-1999).]
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Heck, yeah! Starcraft is one of my favorites too. (And it works just fine on my Millenium I) Just goes to show that games are like movies. The special effects help, but they are no substitute for a great story.

------------------
                        Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

Then why do I still play Quake 2 singelplayer every now and then, KvH?

Comment

As long as D3D is M$ only, other operating systems will use the OpenGL. You shouldn't 4get that 3D modeling is mostly OpenGL - check Wildcat, Oxygen and other high end graphic adapters...
                            Since I'm moving to BeOS and others are moving toward Linux, games are going to be ported to those OS too.
                            Also, you must admit that OpenGL titles look much better than D3D. You can see it in Half life and Unreal.
                            Everyone is using OpenGL, it's currently being revised so it's here to stay. I wish Marox will put more effort on the OpenGL side in their next card so it'll be as usable in non M$ OS.

------------------
                            Cloudy
                            Asus P2B-DS, 2 x Celeron 400@75Mhz, 128Mb Ram, Xitel Storm Platinum,
                            2 x IBM 4.3Gb scsi, Pioneer DVD rom scsi, ati rage fury.
                            Cloudy
                            Asus P2B-DS, 2 x Celeron 450 (400@75Mhz), 192Mb Ram, SB Live! Platinum,
                            2 x IBM 4.3Gb scsi,IBM 22GB IDE, Pioneer DVD ROM scsi, G400 32MB DH.

Comment

Oh BTW Kruzin, Power Render uses Direct3D. Sorry to disappoint
                              Author of Power Render

Comment

Working...
                              X