Matrox about to be lapped by Nvidia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox about to be lapped by Nvidia

My G400 MAX is still back ordered. My vendor - NECX - is, I think, about ready to give up on the Matrox BS about delivery dates. They kept updating the ETA (I guess believing the crap from Matrox). Now the web site just says:

Current ETA: Unknown
    Reason: Temporarily Out of Stock
    This product is currently not in stock. If there is no ETA listed here, the manufacturer is unable to provide us with an Estimated Time of Arrival. We are accepting back orders for this item. Your order will be added to the backorder list, and your product will ship to you in the order it was received, once it becomes available....

If you look at what Matrox has to offer, the answer is nothing. Matrox is not shipping any products at least to NECX, which is one of the largest on-line stores. Not vanilla G400, not even G200 cards.

At this pace, I think it is only a question of time before we will say goodbye to Matrox. If they can't deliver volume, they will be crushed.

It looks like NVIDIA is going to be the new Intel of the graphics market. Will Matrox be at least AMD, or will 3DFX or ATI surpass them. At this point, Matrox looks to me like Cyrix, Winchip or Rise - dead or struggling for survival.

My question now is: will Nvidia lap Matrox by releasing GeFroce 256 in quantity before Matrox releases G400 MAX?

Joe

Purchase from Matrox Online... they have all cards in Stock I believe.

Andrew

Comment

Purchase from Matrox Online... they have all cards in Stock I believe.

You know that's not the answer for the company. How many do they sell through their online store? 100 per day? Maybe 1/3 of them G400 MAX? If all they can make is 33 MAXs per day, they can just as well pack it up.

BTW, when did they announce these cards? In May? It's 4 months later and my card is still back ordered.

Joe

Comment

Where the hell did u get the 100 number ?!?!? do u have any idea what ur talking about ?!?!?

First u r right about Matrox not being able to deliver the MAX on time. BUT nVidia is not going to be "The Intel of Graphic cards" and if u had any idea you would know that the GeForce is not such a strong card it just has T&L in hardware... its 120Mhz/183Mhz and doesn't have a fillrate of a next generation card... I'm sure the next gen matrox card we come shortly after the GeForce and will be stronger.

I want u to recall the shipment of the TNT2/Ultra card... They had there delays too. matrox is not the only one not on time.

to sum the case. nVidia's GeForce will be stronger then the G400 MAX that for sure BUT it won't have the quality of the matrox card, it won't have the features of the MAX (The DualHead, The EMBM, Hi Quality Tv-Out...)

The GeForce won't be such a good card, I would take the Savage2000 it'll be much better, I just read a review, the author tried to o/c a CL GeForce card and wasn't able to overclock more the 10Mhz... I expect the S3 card a 3dfx's card to give us a better game performance not to talk about the next gen matrox card...

Comment

Where the hell did u get the 100 number ?!?!? do u have any idea what ur talking about ?!?!?

How may do they sell through the on-line store? How many of them are MAXs?

to sum the case. nVidia's GeForce will be stronger then the G400 MAX that for sure BUT it won't have the quality of the matrox card, it won't have the features of the MAX (The DualHead, The EMBM, Hi Quality Tv-Out...)

It's up to the card makers what kind of cards they will make. Some may have some of the G400 MAX features. And TNT2 cards are catching up with Matrox in image quality. Their next gen card may come even closer, or even surpass Matrox.

The problem is Matrox has blown 4 month lead and their G400 MAX card will have to compete with next gen Nvidia card this Christmas. (I am assuming that MAX will ship by then)

Joe

Comment

Personally, I think Matrox is just being greedy for now, taking full retail at the Matrox store instead of wholesale from regular vendors. As I asked in another thread.. Is there <u>anyone</u> out there in the USA who has purchased his G400MAX from ANY source other than the Matrox store?

(Crickets chirp, frogs croak.. otherwise, silence)

------------------
            Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

I don't understand people who whine about not being able to buy some product, and then announce pompously that its crap. If it's crap, don't buy it. If it isn't crap, use some intelligence and find it.

Just don't come here and bitch about it.

Smiff

Comment

Personally, I think Matrox is just being greedy for now, taking full retail at the Matrox store instead of wholesale from regular vendors.

I think that's called business isn't it? Last time I looked Matrox were in this for making barrow loads full of money

Comment

They're going to piss people off after a while though Ant. And they're goign to lose buisiness. Which should concern them, unless they're planning on cashing in on the G400 and then closing up shop and moving to Miami.

------------------
                  Ami Y. Koriuchi - foxyviolet@hotmail.com
                  Asus P2B 1010 - P3-500 - And a G400Max now.
                  256MB 6NS 70 GB of 10k RPM SCSI UW

Mustard is illegal here.

[This message has been edited by PurpleHaze (edited 09-13-1999).]
                  Ami Y. Koriuchi - MY EMAIL IS DEAD

SYSTEM1
                  Asus K7V266 - Athlon XP 1800+ - GeForce 4 TI 4600 128MB -
                  1024 MB PC2100 DDR -
                  200 GB UDMA100 7200 RPM - 60GB LVD 160 10K RPM

SYSTEM2
                  Asus A7V133 - Athlon 1.4 - G400Max
                  768MB PC133 - 75 GB of 10k RPM SCSI UW

HI SOMETiMES I GO AWAY FOR LONG TIME AND COME BACK YEARS LATER HI!

Comment

They have been pissing people off for a long time, doesn't seem to have bothered them so far. I wouldn't be suprised if soon the only place to get the retail boards was from the Online Store, they are already doing it with certain items. Just think of the amount of profit they are making from selling them direct rather than through resellers, what sort of incentive do you think that gives them?

Comment

I have been able to go downtown here in Podunk Wyoming and purchase a G400 Max for the last 2 months, albeit at a gross 295 dollars. For 4 weeks, I have been able to get my stock of G400/G400 max needs through my normal local wholesaler. No chirping crickets here.

Rags

------------------
                      P3 450@560, BH6, 128MB PC100, Delta CD ROM, Mill.G200/G400, 8.4G WD, 8.4G seagate, SB16 (temp.), Yamaha Burner, Zip, Sportster 56K int., Storm Scanner.

Comment

Sure, Ant, but if that is their tactic, then their market share is going to be completely swallowed by other manufacturers, and application/game support for their cards will decline. It's generally not a good idea in the long run to bite the hand that feeds you. But not even Apple has learned this yet.

And if they're selling Max's for $295, they probably got them from the online store to begin with and marked them up as much as they reasonably could.

[This message has been edited by PurpleHaze (edited 09-13-1999).]
                        Ami Y. Koriuchi - MY EMAIL IS DEAD

SYSTEM1
                        Asus K7V266 - Athlon XP 1800+ - GeForce 4 TI 4600 128MB -
                        1024 MB PC2100 DDR -
                        200 GB UDMA100 7200 RPM - 60GB LVD 160 10K RPM

SYSTEM2
                        Asus A7V133 - Athlon 1.4 - G400Max
                        768MB PC133 - 75 GB of 10k RPM SCSI UW

HI SOMETiMES I GO AWAY FOR LONG TIME AND COME BACK YEARS LATER HI!

Comment

Well I never said it was crap. I've had a Matrox card for quite awhile now, and I won't settle for anything less.. that's why I have been patiently waiting through date after date which has passed, and still no stock as promised. I am just wondering:

1)Why they are available from vendors in many other countries but not the US?

2)Why do they keep giving ETA dates which they know are unreasonable, or which they never planned to honor?

The tech guys here are the best (Haig, ROM, my hat's off to you) but the marketing department really needs to learn a few manners. Continual broken promises are very poor public relations.

I really don't think I'm being unreasonable here, and I'm not trying to provoke anyone. I would suggest that if Matrox really wants to make barrows full of money, they increase their production capacity and fill the overwhelming demand you tech guys have created by producing an exceptional product. If Matrox needs more production facilities, we have a wonderful plant sitting empty here in my town, where Texas Instruments built laptops until they went out of that business. I'm sure they would LOVE to have a tenant put it to good purpose. Then we would all be happy. Just a suggestion.. if anyone high up from Matrox reads it.

------------------
                          Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

The major portion of Matrox's income comes from OEM sales not the retail boxes sold to the punter in the street. They do have the production capacity to fill THEIR needs and that is to supply their OEM partners the numbers they require.

Comment

Rags, I think Ami might have something there. I wouldn't be surprised if your shop had reserved a few of the pre-orders from the Matrox store.

We all love this product, right? We all want it to succeed, right? I'm sorry guys, but I think Ami and I are right about this one. Increased production capacity is the only way to make Matrox number one out there. They've come through with the product to create the demand. I think we can forgive them some growing pains if the right people in the company would just bite the bullet and decide to grow. I am probably going to cancel my order and get my card from the Matrox Store now. I can only hope they use the increased profits to grow the company, as they should.

------------------
                              Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

Working...
                              X