Problems with Dual Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Dual Heads

I've heard that the Dual Head Has Certain Problems..
    I'm interested in purchasing the card.
    So I'd like to know if anyone encountered problems with the dual head.
    Please respond...
    Thanks.

------------------
    Michael...
    Michael...

No Problems.

------------------
    I don't even know how to spell Grum err Murg err Grmrrrrrrrr.
    ------------
    I GOT a very speedy, working G400 32Mb DH!!! (Delivered in an Asus AGP-V3800 16Mb box)
    ------------
    Holly, Love and Tiberian Sun Rules !!
    ------------

-I want my 1120 posts back-

Jordâ„¢

Comment

No problems. No slowdown in mirror or zoom mode for me. I can't figure how to set the refresh for the other monitor, but AFAIK both the card and drivers support it. 2nd goes up to 1280x1024@85hz...I just can't figure it

Comment

Dual Head has limitations. You can't run anything that uses OpenGL in DualMonitor mode (arguably the most usefull mode). You can't move a DVD Output window to the second monitor in DualMonitor mode (you can but nothing shows up). Even DVDMax mode apparently requires a TV (not a monitor) to work.

Now if you don't plan to do anything with OpenGL, the DualMonitor mode would probably work well for you. But for me just wanting to have a second monitor that I could move the DVD output window to or play OpenGL games (without having to reboot to disable DualHead Monitor mode) it has turned out to be pretty useless. If even DVDMax would work to a second monitor, I'd use it. As it stands, I don't use any DualHead feature at all.

I probably should just buy a cheap 19" TV for DVDMax...
        Asus P2B-DS, 2 x Pentium III 450 @ 504, 128MB CAS 2 SDRAM, Matrox G400
        MAX, Sony CPD-G500, Sony GDM-17SE2T, Sound Blaster Live MP3+, NetGear
        FA310TX 10/100 NIC, IBM 9ZLX 9GB 10,000 RPM LVD Drive, BusLogic 958
        Ultra Fast/Wide SCSI Controller, Pioneer DVD-303s 6X DVD-ROM, Toshiba
        6102B 32x CDROM, Yamaha 4260t CD Writer,
        Linux (Primary OS), Win98, and Win2K

Comment

I may be wrong here, but do you actually have to disable Dualhead to play OGL games? I just uncheck the "Extend windows desktop to second monitor" box and Q3Test and Half-Life run flawlessly.

Of course, this is only one of the possible DualHead modes.

Rahul

------------------
          Abit BH6, Celeron 300a@450, G400 32MB DualHead, 128MB RAM, WD26500 6.4GB, SBLive! Value.

Porsche: MSI K7N2-L, Athlon XP 2100+, G400 32MB DualHead, 1G RAM, 2xMaxtor 20 GB, Gentoo Linux
          Quicksilver: HP Omnibook 500, PIII 700 MHz, 512MB RAM, 30GB, RedHat Linux 9.

Comment

Thanks Kewcat, Ive always rebooted to turn off multimonitor support. Its been a right pain in the arse!

Ill have to try disabling it instead when I get home tonight.

Comment

kewlkat, thanks man!
              i never noticed that "extend" thing...
              i kept disabling it in the dual-head tab, and rebooting every time!
              no more of that!
              Co-Webmaster of The Matrox Sphere
              Enter The Sphere:
              go.to\matroxsphere

Athlon 700, 256Mb 7ns CAS2 RAM, MSI K7-Pro, 10.8Gb Maxtor Diamondmax UDMA, SBLive! 1024 Player + Soundworks FPS1000, Iomega ATAPI Zip drive, Pioneer slot-in 36x SCSI CD-ROM drive, Yamaha CDRW4001t 4xWriter, 56k external modem, Winbond PCI NIC/Etherlink III ISA NIC, {bold}G400 DualHead 32Mb[/bold], Iiyama Vision Master Pro450 19' Diamondtron NF

Comment

yep. Just click on the monitor with the big "2" on it and take off Enabled, and bamf. When you want it back, enable it again. Click-make-Happy.

Wonder why this is the case with OGL, and not D3D.

And as for why DVD windows won't shift like that, eh, it's got something to do with the fact that it's an overlay, and making an overlay jump from monitor to monitor would probably require some programming acrobatics that the guys at Matrox don't get enough poutine money, loonies and toonies to do. God save the Queen.

------------------
                Ami Y. Koriuchi - foxyviolet@hotmail.com
                Asus P2B 1010 - P3-500 - And a G400Max now.
                256MB 6NS 70 GB of 10k RPM SCSI UW

Mustard is illegal here.

[This message has been edited by PurpleHaze (edited 09-14-1999).]
                Ami Y. Koriuchi - MY EMAIL IS DEAD

SYSTEM1
                Asus K7V266 - Athlon XP 1800+ - GeForce 4 TI 4600 128MB -
                1024 MB PC2100 DDR -
                200 GB UDMA100 7200 RPM - 60GB LVD 160 10K RPM

SYSTEM2
                Asus A7V133 - Athlon 1.4 - G400Max
                768MB PC133 - 75 GB of 10k RPM SCSI UW

HI SOMETiMES I GO AWAY FOR LONG TIME AND COME BACK YEARS LATER HI!

Comment

Erm, Ami, are you feeling alright?

------------------
                  Cheers,
                  Steve

PS: Some or all of the above message may be wrong, or, just as likely, correct. Depends on what mood I'm in. And what you know. ;¬)

Comment

Ami, I see you are wise in the ways of canadian currency. There have been times when I've opened my wallet, and found nothing inside. But when I counted my change in my pocket, I had almost $20. It is causing me to have a slight curvature of the spine though

Back on topic, I'll have to try that multi-monitor trickery. Does DVDMax still work when it's enabled? I've never left it that way for very long, because of the rebooting thing...

[This message has been edited by agallag (edited 09-14-1999).]
                    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

That would be very sweet. This is verified to work?
                      Asus P2B-DS, 2 x Pentium III 450 @ 504, 128MB CAS 2 SDRAM, Matrox G400
                      MAX, Sony CPD-G500, Sony GDM-17SE2T, Sound Blaster Live MP3+, NetGear
                      FA310TX 10/100 NIC, IBM 9ZLX 9GB 10,000 RPM LVD Drive, BusLogic 958
                      Ultra Fast/Wide SCSI Controller, Pioneer DVD-303s 6X DVD-ROM, Toshiba
                      6102B 32x CDROM, Yamaha 4260t CD Writer,
                      Linux (Primary OS), Win98, and Win2K

Comment

This works for me also.. Running Halflife no problems
                        Flyer
                        System:
                        Abit bh-6
                        192mb PC-100 ram
                        G40032-dh/RR-G
                        MX-300 soundcard
                        Fasttrack66 raid with 2-IBM22GXP (13.5gbEach)
                        WD4.3gb main drive
                        WD2gb second drive
                        USR56k ISA modem
                        3com 10/100 PCI NIC
                        Win98 release 1
                        USB enabled

Comment

Anyone here using the dual with the Rainbow Runner? Can you move the TV window from one monitor to the other?

Comment

Working...
                          X