overclocking/cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overclocking/cooling

ok you guys now i know your secrets for getting expensive computers for cheap,
    and make no mistake i will use them (insert maniacal laughter here) anyway i noticed an other thing about you guys who don't have expensive processors. you have EXTREEMLY overclocked cpu's. i want to know how do you keep them cool what do you use to keep them so cool and is it worth it?

I just bought a K6-III 400 for $100 and a Global Win cooling fan for $20. Now I get K6-III 500 power. The 450 chip goes for about $150. Do the math.

Ooops. I didnt mention the scavenged p/s fan I used to cool the case, and the 83 cents I spent for screws to keep it in place. There goes my theory.

Overclocking is addictive. (Hi, I'm Art, and I'm an overclocker.) And when done right, it's fun. Some say it's immoral. I say get a life.

------------------
    K6-III 400 @ 5x100, FIC VA-503+ rev 1.1a, Mill G200 16 meg SDRAM, 3 rowdy children, 5 hrs of sleep last night.
    K6-III 400 @ 5x100, FIC VA-503+ rev 1.1a, Mill G200 16 meg SDRAM, 3 rowdy children, 5 hrs of sleep last night.

Comment

You can always take the easy path and opt for a Celeron...

------------------
      Cloudy
      Asus P2B-DS, 2 x Celeron 400@75Mhz, 128Mb Ram, Xitel Storm Platinum,
      2 x IBM 4.3Gb scsi, Pioneer DVD rom scsi, ati rage fury.
      Cloudy
      Asus P2B-DS, 2 x Celeron 450 (400@75Mhz), 192Mb Ram, SB Live! Platinum,
      2 x IBM 4.3Gb scsi,IBM 22GB IDE, Pioneer DVD ROM scsi, G400 32MB DH.

Comment

i run my p2 350 at 464 no problems. aavid 19.00 heatsink (got the cpu in trade for some stuff i don't use no more and some pc work that i like doing any way.

i have a 300a sitting on a shelf that will do 450 at 2.3 volts with retail fan sink. going to use it in a 3rd gameing rig. im thinking laping the cpu may let me run it at a lowwer voltage or let me run at a 464 /558 dont know but hey its worth messin with.

i also overclocked my g400 reg dual head to near max speeds. 145/190 with no problems. added a small 5900 rpm fan i took off a old heat sink.)

hey my p2 350 will post at 558 and load windows but i get vxd errors. do yo think removeing that plastic cover on the cpu and aiming a small fan at the back may make it run stable. (help cool l2 chips)? or should i just leave well enough alone.
        msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
        it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

I have/had a Pentium II 350 MHz. I was able to unlock the multiplier by taping a pin. Now my multiplier is 4.5 instead of 3.5, so I have a PII 450 MHz. No extra cooling in my computer, just the same fans and heatsinks already present. And it runs stable.

Frank Schoondermark

Comment

franksch3: hiya

what pin did you tape? and what kind of tape to use? i have a 4xbus locked p2 266, and the only oc i can do is bus speed, and 75 mhz is the fastest my system will be stable at.

[This message has been edited by scotty (edited 09-09-1999).]
            p2 266@300 (4x75mhz) | qdi legend-v, lx chipset, bios 2.0sl | 96 mb pc100 | mill g200agp@99mhz 8mb sg, bios 2.6, pd 5.52 | win 98se

Comment

ok so what do you guys think is a good temperature then? cuz i have a bx6 and in the bios i can check my temperature and if it is over 82 farenhait it's time to open the case to get some air flowin' for me!!!

Comment

Hey Merchant!
                There is a better answer for your cache-cooling. There are companies out there that sell metal spacers (STEP thermo maybe?). They connect the cache chips to your CPU casing, and allow the chips to transfer the heat to somewhere that is actually being cooled (aluminium spacers transmit heat much better than air).
                That's about all I know off of the top of my head. I think Jammrock uses these spacers, so I'd ask him.

I also agree with art. Global Win fans are my friend.

-Wombat

------------------
                K6-2/350@400, 503+ rev 1.2a, 128MB PC100 RAM, Millenium G200, RH6.0 w/ 2.2.12, Win98, and too many classes
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I used to have a PII 350...
                  Tape pin B21.
                  Scotch tape will do.

------------------
                  PII 450@464 (4.5*103)
                  Matrox G400 vanilla/5ns@ 167/209
                  Diamond MX300
                  256Mb pc100 ram
                  10gb WD
                  generic 10/100 NIC

hi

Comment

how do i open the cpu case?
                    i have a pII 350@392 and i cant find any screws on the case to open it up and also how do you know for sure that the speed you overcklocked your cpu to is the speed it is actually running at?

Comment

Hi scotty,

head over to www.tomshardware.com (just ignore his 3D card reviews ;-) and look for an article about running all Celerons at 100 MHz FSB instead 66 MHz FSB. There they describe how to tape pin B21 to unlock the FSB.

I heard some people here talking about that that pin unlocks the multiplier for some of the PII 350 MHz chips. I don't know wheter it only works for the PII 350 or all other PII's.

Comment

My Celeron 300a is a retail and it does the 464mhz with the retail fan. I also have a 80mm blow hole directly above the CPU that I added just for kicks. Also an 80mm incoming air fan at the front, base of the case. Damn I wish I had a camera...I'd post some pics...

Paul
                        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

I overclock my P3 450 to 558 with the retail CPU heatsink and fan. My main concern is airflow through my case, cool air in hot air out. The components you choose also can determine the amount of heat generated. My old TNT2 generated tons of heat (especially when overclocked) but the G400 runs much cooler.
                          Here's a great resource for you http://www.overclockers.com/ They have quite a few cooling articles, must reads for the budding overclocker. Good luck. BTW the P3 450s overclock great and they are pretty cheap.

Comment

My PII-333 runs at 515Mhz No probs. I replaced the heatsink/fan that came with it (it was pretty enclosed and so the little fan did all the work) with a much larger passive heatsink and got the airflow across it boosted. Now, it stays relatively cool. If you want cheap, get hold of a celery 300a or a PII-300 or PII-333 and OC up to 450 for the 300s or 500 for the 333s with very little effort and money.

Oh, you might want to have a look at my cooling story: http://gtech.matroxusers.com/cool/cooling.htm

------------------
                            Cheers,
                            Steve

PS: Some or all of the above message may be wrong, or, just as likely, correct. Depends on what mood I'm in. And what you know. ;¬)

[This message has been edited by SteveC (edited 09-09-1999).]

Comment

ah well, the trials of owning an lx board... taping up b21 didn't do anything for me. but thanks for the tip tho.

8¬)
                              p2 266@300 (4x75mhz) | qdi legend-v, lx chipset, bios 2.0sl | 96 mb pc100 | mill g200agp@99mhz 8mb sg, bios 2.6, pd 5.52 | win 98se

Comment

Working...
                              X