• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVDmax playback on G400 DH 32MB

Hi all,
    I found following problem while using my new G400 DH:

when I activate full screen TV playback of my
    DVD movie, I cannot watch it because of lots of green noisy error stripes and strong flashing. In those error stripes I was able to recognize parts of Win98 desktop (dialog windows etc). Also the movie playback on the TV was not smooth but at something like 15FPS.

I am trying to watch NTSC region 1 DVD disc on TV connected to second output of my G400. TV standard for TV output was set to PAL (because I have PAL TV).
    Another interesting thing happened, when I tried to change TV output standard to NTSC. I was able to see clear b&w picture with smooth playback.

Then I tried to play Region2 PAL DVD, but another problem appeared: the film was widescreen and on the TV I have full screen 4:3 picture with everything stretched vertically. I tried to play with settings in DVDMax TV settings (keep aspect ratio... etc.), but with no success. When it has correct aspect ratio it is flashing horribly, so you cannot watch it.

Is it hardware failure of my graphic card or is it known bug in drivers (5.13) or what?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Jiri Klima

Jiri Klima

Are you going to your TV via a VCR? If so, then your problems may well be Macrovision related. (Copy protection) Go straight to your TV if possible.
    To correct the aspect ratio, in the advanced properties of DVDMAX, you can (can't remember the exact words) select 'based on window size' and it should sort out the aspect.

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

PS: Some or all of the above message may be wrong, or, just as likely, correct. Depends on what mood I'm in. And what you know. ;¬)

Comment

No, I am sending my signal directly to TV. I also tried to set up "take aspect ratio from signal source" and every other possibilty too. But, unfortunately, still looking for solution.

------------------
      Jiri Klima
      Jiri Klima

Comment

Do you have any other DVD software installed on your PC?
        Can you get a proper picture if you enable something like the Clone or Multi Monitor displays? This will track it down to being just DVD.

------------------
        Cheers,
        Steve

PS: Some or all of the above message may be wrong, or, just as likely, correct. Depends on what mood I'm in. And what you know. ;¬)

Comment

I was using only the DVD player which was on my Matrox CD. Do you think it might help to try another one?
          I tried to do Clone but there was no picture in DVD window, I think. I will try again.
          Are you using your computer for DVD playback too? I found only very little posts in this forum about DVD playback & G400, which makes me very sad... ;-)
          The truth is I decided to choose G400 and not TNT2 purely because DH feature and fullscreen TV DVD playback, but now I cannot do that. 8-(
          Jiri Klima

Comment

I am sorry, SteveC, but I was a bit confused. now I understand what you mean with "track it down to be just DVD". Yes, I have a proper picture of my Win98 desktop in both Clone and Multimonitor mode up to 1024x768. Problems are <h1>only</h1> with DVD playback.
            Jiri Klima

Comment

Just read your last post there... OK, I get your point with the 'only' word.

By other software I meant that some other DVD softwares can screw up any others on the same system.

I do use my G400 for DVD playback, and it is great on my machine. Does it work on your monitor OK?

------------------
              Cheers,
              Steve

Comment

SteveC, I am happy about the fact I can share my problems with at least one user of G400 card. Here in Praha, CZ I may be the only one... ;-)

Back to your question, both Region1&2 movies just looks great on my monitor. It is very smooth while I have PII266 overclocked to 300 only. I think G400 is helping it a lot.
                Only concern i have is about region changes, while Matrox DVD player is limited to 5 changes only. But I have seen some hack somewhere on the web.

Main problem is the DVDMax functionality. I cannot understand why it cannot display NTSC DVD disc on PAL TV, when I select the proper TV standart for TV output. Do you think it can be limited by hardware or is it just some thing which will be solved by driver update?
                Jiri Klima

Comment

I'm afraid I haven't got any NTSC discs to try out. There are most defiitely other DVDMAX users on this forum, just wait until they've woken up, maybe someone can help here...

------------------
                  Cheers,
                  Steve

Comment

I too have problems with NTSC DVDs.
                    When i play RC1 DVDs they play smooth for a second the the picture stops for a short moment and so on.

I tried it with 2 different DVDs and with
                    MatroxDVD
                    Cinemaster (1.0.32)
                    PowerDVD 2.0

All show this effect. I know that the player has to perform a framerate conversion when playing NTSC an PAL, but it has to do this for different screen modes, too.

If i switch off DVDMax the movies run smooth.

Comment

To magick: Thanks for reply. Do you have some picture problems similar to mine while playing NTSC DVD discs on your connected TV set? If no, is your TV NTSC compatible?

JKL

Jiri Klima

Comment

No, the picture is sharp and clear. And no, my TV can't handle NTSC. How is your TV connected and did you use another DVD-Player
                        before? When i played too much with region selector i get very weird output. Usually i delete the complete Cinemaster Registry and start all over :-)

Comment

AHA, so: MPEG1 Video-CD players are the only one I used to play video before. I have special hardware MPEG1 decoder board, FPS 60 from FAST Multimedia.
                          But maybe it is not a bad idea to try uninstall them and also the FPS60 card. But I will have to try at the evening, when i return home, so I will reply to you with results only then.

JKL

Jiri Klima

Comment

Another thing I want to add: I hope somebody from matrox tech support is listening, too. I think these problem I have here are quite important to solve and only reply I did receive from TechSupport_Matrox@compuserve.com
                            was very funny and from my point of view not professional:

Sehr geehrter Kunde / Dear customer,

When you connect a monitor on the secondary interface, have you still the
                            same stripes?
                            How long is your cable to the TV? Max. 5 meter are allowed.
                            It is not possible to watch region 1, europe is code 2.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
                            Matrox Technischer Support

HAHAhA!!! They probably do not try yet to play DVD on PC at all.

JKL
                            Jiri Klima

Comment

I had similar problems when I first used the dualhead, but they have all been solved and the playback is just great, I have used both region 1&2 in widescreen and normal and no problems at all.

As for the hack that lets you change region an unlimited number of times go to: www.dvdutils.com
                              and download regionselector v1.97.
                              As for the green flashes try this in the dvdmax page: Enable "Preserve source cropping" and enable "scale only on page flip" but do NOT enable the last one, this solved my problems. Also If you use a super-vhs cable and your tv does not support it the picture will be in b&w, at least mine was then I bought a normal composite cable and it works fine now. Finally I would see if b&w is enabled in the tv settings pages.

I hope this gives you an idea how to solve your problems, if not feel free to ask again.

Regards
                              Grego
                              System:
                              Asus A7V rev. 1.01p bios 1011
                              AMD Thunderbird 800
                              SBLive retail with liveware 3.0
                              Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
                              LG Flatron 795FT 17" monitor
                              IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
                              Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
                              WinME
                              directx 8.0a