G400 MAX, NT4, and OpenGl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 MAX, NT4, and OpenGl

I've got a couple of problems with my new spiffy G400 MAX when running under NT4 SP5. I have been able to install the drivers off the CD and run the card fine in 2D mode. However, when I run a 3D game (Quake2, 3) I notice white and green artifacts on the screen and then the computer locks up completely. Seems like a heat problem to me, but the card is not overclocked...When the games do run -- which isn't long -- I get really bad performance, maybe 5-10 fps. Any thoughts? When are the new NT4 drivers coming out? And lastly, is there any way to keep the start bar in one window when running in multimonitor mode? Thanks.

From previous posts, the NT OpenGL drivers are reallyyy bad for gaming :-P

Comment

NO NT period is bad for gaming.

Elie

Comment

Hi mgleason,

if you could ... just wait for the new G400 NT drivers. I dont have G400 but with G200 they manage to change 4.12 ICD from the pure joke (evertything more complex than few objects deafulted to software) to "fast turtle" in 4.22 ...

Comment

Man, that's what I was afraid of. Anyone hear about Win2k drivers yet? Or support for the G400 in the up and coming Win2k RC-2? I'm itching to play some games but I don't want 98...it'll waste my second processor.

Comment

Elie,

my brother played Unreal, Half-Life, and Q2 under NT4...Q2 more than anything else. It works extremely well.
            DirectX gaming under NT is non-existent. OpenGL gaming w/ the mouse (no SpaceOrb)-: works fine if you have decent drivers. He has a 16MB TNT card (no flames please). Neither of us use Win98 at all except for gaming when it doesn't work on NT.

Comment

Spike!, I agree completely - NT works great for gaming as long as the game is opengl based. I guess percentage wise there aren't too many of those, but I'd bet that they have a fairly large following. There are a LOT of Quake players out there.

Comment

Working...
              X