Media Studio Pro 5.0 in the UK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media Studio Pro 5.0 in the UK?

I have 2 G200 Marvels (PCI and AGP)I'm very pleased with both of them. PC-VCR works perfectly, unfortunately Avid Cinema falls down all the time, it has to go. I've tried getting to those Ebay etc deals and I get locked out as a UK Consumer, I can buy a RRS with MSP from Insight.com/uk for 113 GBP is that my best option ?

Dave
    Don't make me angry...

Dave, I do know of UK users that have purchased from videoguys at a much lower price than the UK deal with success. Bear in mind whenever purchasing (anything) from the States that you can get caught out by unexpected import duties. These can run up to 30% or more of the purchase price.

It can still be a bargain, but DO be prepared

Comment

Dave

Go to www.egghead.com. They have a special offer on, at the moment AND they will export to the UK (but not to where I live!). However, you will have to phone in your order (why, the stupid buggers?): they accept neither fax nor e-mail. Maybe they want to know whether the guy at the other end can speak?

------------------
      Brian (the terrible)

Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Bit UK used to, and may still offer an upgrade from Avid Cinema to Ulead Media Studio Pro 5.2VE or Full.

I think they're at www.bit.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the ideas, I've ordered a Rainbow Runner Studio for Mystique direct from Matrox Europe (63 GBP)which comes with MSP 5.0 VE, and I've downloaded the free 5.0 VE to 5.2 VE upgrade from Ulead. (My son's machine has my old Mystique in it so the RRS will get used). If I need the functionality of the full version the upgrade will be less painful than the 400 GBP bit.co.uk are asking for MSP 5.2.

dave
          Don't make me angry...

Comment

I tried having this price argument before but predictably got well and truly ignored.

For the vast majority of tasks, the lite edition of MS will do what you want. True you don't get the CG-infinity titling (but you've got Cool-3D instead) and you don't get VideoPaint which is great but you need a LOT of time to get to grips with it.

Comment

Chris, could you clarify that last post?

"I tried having this price argument before but predictably got well and truly ignored."

I hope you were slinging that arrow over my shoulder, but I'd like to know whether it was meant for me.

Apart from that first line I think you're telling me I did the right thing, which is good, because I value your judgement and advice. I thought I followed your advice and stayed at home (Videoguys wanted 499 dollars for 5.2, no option for 5.0). Which is why I am confused about line 1 of your post.

All the best,

Dave

Edit on
              PS Sun's 1.51 crack works for me
              Edit off

[This message has been edited by dave m (edited 24 November 1999).]
              Don't make me angry...

Comment

Hi Dave,

Sorry, I was referring to the fact that I strongly object to being screwed on software prices over here in the UK. I tried to contact BIT for their comments on Ulead pricing, but got nowhere.

I posted a strongly worded complaint on my news page back on 23rd January which you might like to read for info.

Comment

Hi Chris,
                  You do a great job here,
                  Thanks...

Dave
                  Don't make me angry...

Comment

Not quite strong enough, you do a fantastic job, what do your kids want for Christmas? I'll personally start the whip round? I mean this...

Dave
                    Don't make me angry...

Comment

Thanks Dave,

It's good to get some angst off occasionally. As for the offer, don't worry. The kids are old enough to realise what is going on and I've already booked the oranges, comics and other little goodies for the stockings.

On the other hand, if employees of Lego are looking in, I've got one buddin engineer here that would benefit from some kind of sponsorship.

Comment

You've got to laugh, the RRS came today from Matrox in Ireland, but it came with Media Studio VE version 2.5.

Chin up Dave,

Dave

I just checked, the europe shop states it comes with "Ulead MediaStudioTM Pro 5.0 VE video editing software" I sent them a polite message asking for them to send me the advertised software.

[This message has been edited by dave m (edited 26 November 1999).]
                        Don't make me angry...

Comment

Working...
                        X