DVD Playback suddenly stops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Playback suddenly stops

I have just bought a G400 32 MB and a Toshiba SD-M1212 DVD and I am using the supplied Matrox DVD player.

This all seemed to be working until halfway through watching a DVD when the playback paused and then the player reset. I tried this on another disc and it did the same thing. In both cases If I find the same place in the film the player will continue as normal.
    The same problem also happends when watching the sets of interviews which came on the discs.
    Any ideas what is wrong?

My system is
    PII 350 on Asus P2B board
    128 MB Ram
    MX300 Soundcard
    G400
    Toshiba 1212 DVD.
    All with latest drivers/bios (except maybe the DVD drive)

First thing I'd try would be Heat. On the DVD drive and the G400 and the CPU.

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

Comment

If it is heat I have a real problem. There is an old 486 fan on the g400, the side of the case is off and the DVD drive well away from any heat source.

I haven't had any problems with playing games for well over an hour.

Comment

Same thing has happened to me, but thus far with only one title: Nirvana.
        Ronin, Lethal Weapon 4 and Species have worked ok.

Nirvana worked after I disabled DMA for the DVD drive, but that of course degraded performance..

PS. I'm Lucid, not Manoj Mahtani.. I suppose the board's password database is f*cked..

Comment

I've got SD-M1212 as well.. and G400DH.. but the motherboard is iAL440LX with a 300 MHz Pentium II processor and 64 MB RAM.

Comment

Do you have a 3com 90xx-TX network card??
            If so this could be the problem. I used to have a G200 with DVD add-on and it had the same problem. I fixed that by using 3com's (unsupported) basic drivers instead of the full 3-disk driver set. Matrox has some info on this in their DVD troubleshooting FAQ.
            I don't know wether this holds true for the G400, I just recieved mine and didn't even get the DVD player to work yet (some error like 80004003, not able to blabla)

Comment

OK, I just got the G400-MAX DVD player to work. Seems my old 2xDVD drive is getting a bit pesky about which discs it wants to play. Anyway this card rocks!!!

Awesome 2D, Great 3D and DVD.

Comment

I have that same drive and have it do the same to me. For me a reboot and a restart of the DVD player clears it up. It may be a problem with memory caching because it only seems to occur for me after I have used my machine for awhile without a restart.

Joel
                Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

OK, if your DVD drive sandwiched between other drives? Do your DVD discs come out of the drive hot?
                  I had this problem when I first got my G400, but can I remember how I fixed it? Nope.
                  Try other stability things like altering your RAM CAS latency in your BIOS etc, is DMA on for your DVD drive?

------------------
                  Cheers,
                  Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X