Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• was it worth it

or should i go for an nvidia chipset.
    well the g400 has been out a couple of months now, after all the anticipation and wanting, i held back a while to gauge opinions, see how the drivers turn out, having had a g200 for ages with non of the problems a lot of people seemed to be having 6mths ago, well ogl mainly, but that wasnt a concern for me, d3d did/does the trick as far as im concerned. anyway looking in here the last week or so it seems to me that there are more people having trouble with the g400 than were with the g200, should i hang on to see if the drivers/chip improves or would i be recommended to go elsewhere, if so what could be recommended. this isnt meant to be a my card is better than your card thread but the overall quality of the g200 compared to the ciruslogic/voodoo2 combo that i had previously(that is not necaserilly a speed issue) really impressed and got me interested in buying a g400, like i said there seems to 3x as many people with probs as with the g200 soo im just wary.
    thoughts opinions i would be gratefull

Check my post, "My Max Adventure".

Bah, I'll quote it here:

The DHL d0ude finally got here

In win98:
    Set AGP on 256, uninstalled my Spectra TNT, restarted and deleted some TNT/nvidia regentries. Shut down, took out the TNT, took out the Voodoo2, _carefully_ slipped in the G400 Max.
    Hooked my Mits 900u to the primary, and a 14" packard bell to secondary.

Windows detected, directed to 5.21 driver catalogue.
    Restarted. Detected my Mits 900u. Set resolution. Set DualHead MultiDisplay, restart, and up and working. Had fun dragging windows from one screen to the other for half an hour.

All well so far
    Installed Picture Publisher 8.0. Very happy for this one since I currently use PB 4.0
    Installed Expendable. Set it up to 1024x768-32 and go.
    On with bumpmapping. Played to third level with just a little slowdowns and _very impressive_ env bumpmap eyecandy. I love those large blue tanks.

Installed the techdemo. Started up, and demoed away like a charm. Never seen anything like it! (yes I pressed 0 and chased that ferie to try see, uhm, you know)

Started up system shock 2. In 1024-16 very good, but doors (and a few other things) is halfway transparent/"mirrory".

Started up Descent 3, tried to update. Refued. Hit play, played like a charm in 1024 with almost everything on.
    Tried Matrox Alpha, MSWaves new, Multinut, MSWaves, bump tex viewer, Matrox bump lens, Matrox diffuse, Matrox Dual D3D (cool), Matrox bump torus (damn cool), Matrox procedural (damn cool) and radical fish.

Started Quake3, set 32-bit color, bilinear, almost highest textures and 1024. average fps 30. Run demo1; 18 fps... The game slowed down to 1fps when a lot of blood came up close. Other than that, beautiful!

****! this was a REAL blow-out. I've never seen anything like it all beautiful. And what an ease! I was prepared for re-install windows98, bugs, wild icons (tm) etc etc.
    I do indeed see a little difference in the colorquality from my old TNT... indeed And for the D3D/OGL, damn what nice rich colors!

Guess I got lucky, now it's time for O/C and try win2k. where do I get powerStrip?

Comment

Stoned,

You are seeing more people having problems because:

1. the number of people following the forum has increased.

2. not that many will post "Hey, my card is working"
      (btw. mine is working just fine)

I have actually had less problems with the G400 than I had with the G200, and there wasn't much problems with the G200.

Best Regards,
      Pertti

Comment

Well said Pertti
        Amd K6-2 350@452,Fic 503+1.2a,64mb pc100 Mushkin Samsung GH cas2,G200 8mb Sgram,Maxtor 8.4gb,Yamaha Sound

Comment

Working...
        X