11 Matrox Millennium G400 Dual Head - English
    11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 Intel(r) 82371AB/EB/MB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 Intel(r) 82371AB/EB/MB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

As you can see my G400 shares its IRQ with "IRQ holder for PCI steering". IRQ6 is free... Is there any way to assing IRQ6 tto either of these devices?

I believe this is a very important factor of the relatively low scores in benchmarks and games...

Please help!
    PC Power and Cooling Deluxe Chrome Tower case and 300W ATX Power Supply, Dual Slot1 440GX AMI MegaRUM II motherboard, 128MB of ECC 100 MHz SDRAM, PII 450 MHz, Matrox G400 MAX, Seagate Cheetah 9,1GB @ primary SCSI Ultra2 Wide controller, Hitachi 4x DVD-ROM, Panasonic (Matsushita) LS-120 Drive, Terratec EWS64XL sound card.

No worries.
    That's normal.
    There is always an IRQ holder with any Busmastering device like the G400. You can't (and don't want to) make it go away.

It's only actual devices like net cards or USB or scsi that you need to look out for as far as IRQ sharing...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

oh well... and I felt so happy for some seconds.... Now you can call me computer illiterate :-)
      PC Power and Cooling Deluxe Chrome Tower case and 300W ATX Power Supply, Dual Slot1 440GX AMI MegaRUM II motherboard, 128MB of ECC 100 MHz SDRAM, PII 450 MHz, Matrox G400 MAX, Seagate Cheetah 9,1GB @ primary SCSI Ultra2 Wide controller, Hitachi 4x DVD-ROM, Panasonic (Matsushita) LS-120 Drive, Terratec EWS64XL sound card.

Comment

As an addendum, IRQ 6 belongs to the floppy disk controller.

------------------
        Dean
        -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
        PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS

PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS

Comment

might I suggest disabling COM1/COM2/LPT depending on your needs... I have all of them disabled, cause my printer is hooked to another PC and cause I'm using cable modem and a PS/2 mouse. But with local printer and a regular modem, you could still free up the COM1 IRQ. You do seem to use PS/2 mouse. And since itt uses a different IRQ anyways (#12 in your case) you can free the COM1 IRQ with no problems.

------------------
          P2c-300a/450, 192MB PC125 SDRAM, Quantum Fireball Plus KA 18.2GB 7200rpm, Panasonic 7502B x4/x8 Ultra SCSI CD-R, Tekram DC-390U2W Ultra2Wide SCSI controller, Diamond MX300 (Vortex2), Creative Labs AWE64 Gold Sound Blaster, A-Trend Voodoo II 12MB, Matrox Millennium G400Max, 19" Hitachi SuperScan 752 and some other fancy stuff
          P2c-300a/450, 256MB PC125 SDRAM, Quantum Fireball Plus KA 18.2GB 7200rpm, Panasonic 7502B x4/x8 Ultra SCSI CD-R, Tekram DC-390U2W Ultra2Wide SCSI controller, Diamond MX300 (Vortex2), Matrox Millennium G400Max, 19" Hitachi SuperScan 752, Logitech Cordless MouseMan Wheel and some other fancy stuff

Comment

well... I have disabled the floppy controller because I have an ls-120 which connects to the IDE bus :-)

------------------
            PC Power and Cooling Seluxe Chrome Tower case and 300W ATX Power Supply, Dual Slot1 440GX AMI MegaRUM II motherboard, 128MB of ECC 100 MHz SDRAM, PII 450 MHz, Matrox G400 MAX, Seagate Cheetah 9,1GB @ primary SCSI Ultra2 Wide controller, Hitachi 4x DVD-ROM, Panasonic (Matsushita) LS-120 Drive, Terratec EWS64XL sound card.

Comment

Well I have a regular modem hooked at com1. I'm getting ISDN tomorrow so I will use that for the serial interface to the network terminator (intracom's netMod...of greek origin...lol) ... However I seriously consider buying 3coms network adapter which connects to the USB bus... So I will no longer need an IRQ for the COM ports... And yes I do use a PS/2 mouse :-)

thanx for your help everyone!

[This message has been edited by GD (edited 09-06-1999).]

Comment

According to what Terratec told me your EWS is not configured correctly. They told me to always enable the IRQ for the synthesizer. To free one up you can completely disable your codec if you don't use any DOS soundtools/games I don't know how exactly to do this since it only works for the L/XL/XXL and I own a EWS64s. Go to the <a href="http://www.terratec.net/">Terratec Homepage</a> they have some great links to support your XL.

Helmchen

Comment

well... my soundcard works great.. It might cause performance to suffer though... Anyway both midi and wave quality are awesome plus my roland MIDI keyboard works very well.. I will try to assign an IRC though...

Comment

You don't want your videocard to move away from IRQs 9, 10, or 11 anyway. These get first order of preference after the keyboard and mouse.

------------------
                    Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

Worked for me too!
                      But when I told Terratec my configuration they recommended with emphasis (hope it's the right word) to enable the IRQ!

Helmchen

Comment

Sharing is NOT death things can go just fine with it. How do you think combo cards and such work? PCI bridges aren't cheap, so they just share. (a la my tv tuner / capture device)

Mine (till max arrives tommorow, then nix the agp, and extra pci slot due to lack of a voodoo2)

0 System timer
                        1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
                        2 Programmable interrupt controller
                        3 Sportster Voice 33.6 PnP FAX Internal
                        5 Creative AWE64 Gold 16-bit Audio (SB16 compatible)
                        6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
                        7 Printer Port (LPT1)
                        8 System CMOS/real time clock
                        10 Asskicker2000 Fast Ethernet Adapter
                        10 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
                        10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                        11 Tekram DC-390F/U PCI SCSI Adapter
                        11 NVidia RIVA 128/128ZX
                        11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                        12 Brooktree Fusion/Audio Capture Device
                        12 Brooktree Fusion/Video Capture Device
                        12 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                        13 Numeric data processor
                        14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
                        14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
                        15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
                        15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
                        4 (free)
                        9 (free)

Notice no com ports (if you don't use 'em, kill 'em) and theres no way in hell to get some of the devices NOT to share, like usb and agp, always want to share oh well.

BTW, the 'asskicker 2000 ethernet adapter' is a joke I use to toy with friends at lan parties. "THIS is why I won the deathmatch" Its really some generic Pro/120b 10/100 card. All you have to do is open an inf file with notepad, find the entry for the device name, and edit away. (DON'T **** with ANYTHING else!) Then 'reinstall' your driver, for grins.

Comment

THAT'S KWEL!!! I'm gonna try it right away!!
                          Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(excitement) (happyness) (etc)

GD

------------------

Comment

Working...
                          X