Are there hardware compatibility issues with the G400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there hardware compatibility issues with the G400

Are there any Hardware compatibility issues with the G400, more specifically with Creative's SBLive? If so is there a work around to it?

I've taken all the suggestions I can find. I've totaly uninstalled the old drivers and put new ones on(5.21), I've set the AGP to 1X(at least I think I have, I'd sure feel better if someone can tell me where the registry key is so I can check it manually),AGP aperature is set at 256, have no conflicting IRQ's, and finally sacrificed a goat to the video card demons hoping to apease their insatiable desires. But the G400 still locks my system.

In a last ditch effort I've ripped out all PCI cards to see if it remains stable, even my SBLive! card. I'm on my way now to the abit site to see if I can find an update for my BH6 BIOS. I'm taking the fact that I'm able to write this message as a mixed omen, if I can't get my G400 and SBLive card to play nice together the G400 gets 'da boot!

Can anyone help me out?

------------------
    Atlas IIc

Life is a journey into the unknown, you can duck down and hope nothing hits you or you can stand up tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up BABY and don't be stingy with the jalepeƱos!"

I had the same lockup problems, turned out the registry fix wasn't hitting the right key, and needed to be modified.

The regedit below sets AGP to 1x.
    Check 1st to see if you have the full path with 0000\Settings in it. If not it is probably under 0001, as your old card info did not get removed fully.

Best solution is to get a clean G400 install. Run the Matrox uninstall program, go to system/device manager and delete all but the 1st display adapter.
    Reinstall, and apply the regedit.

That gave me just a 0000 entry for the G400, and no lock ups!

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Class\Display\0000\Settings\CPU]
    "AGPFlags"="0"

[This message has been edited by UserReview (edited 09-05-1999).]

[This message has been edited by UserReview (edited 09-05-1999).]

Comment

Thanks for the registry key I changed it to 1x and so far haven't had any problems and it seems like my cards are all behaving themselves, thanks again.
      Atlas IIc

Life is a journey into the unknown, you can duck down and hope nothing hits you or you can stand up tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up BABY and don't be stingy with the jalepeƱos!"

Comment

a hardware comapatability isue with the g400 is the sb live value
        the tech said that unless i get a new sound card, i would have to always disable busmastering

Comment

I have an SB Live! value working just fine with Busmastering on in my system.

------------------
          P2-450(112*4.5=504), Asus P2B (1010), 128meg pc100, MillenniumG400 32meg DH (5.??), 3com 3c905b-tx, SB Live!value, Dual USR 56k Sporsters, WB 8.4&6.4 UDMA, CL PC-DVD, Mistumi CD-RW

[This message has been edited by Kruzin (edited 09-06-1999).]
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Does the same go for normal SB-Live as well?

I have an SB-Live Value, and it's great.
            Dont want to have to go back to me AWE64 just because my video card can't handle it.

------------------
            If you can understand my post, then you are missing the point entirely.
            If you can understand my post, then you are missing the point entirely.

Comment

As lomg as you are up to date on your creative drivers, there is no compatability problem.

Many of us use SB Live! (both full, and value) with no problems at all.

Any problems that used to exist where only with the original Live!ware. As long as you are up to 2.1 on those drivers, you should be fine.
              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Well I took the suggestion from user review and set my AGP to 1x, from what people are saying there's not much difference between 1x and 2x anyway, if this is true will there be much difference when 4x cards come out?

At any rate my system hasn't crashed since I did that and all my cards seem to like each other, including my SBLive value. However the G400 has lulled me into a false sense of security before and the very next morning it crapped out on me. So I'm not going to call it fixed until it runs normally (by the term "normally" I mean only crashing three times a day).

I'm pretty sure I have bus-mastering enabled but again I would feel better if someone would show me where the registry key is so I can check it manually.
                Atlas IIc

Comment

You don't need to dig in the registry for BM control. That is in the Display Properties>Settings>advanced>Options tab.

If "Use Bus Mastering" is checked there, you are using it.

Comment

Hey kruzin, can you clock your asus motherboard any higher than 112? The manual says 112 is the highest, but some have reported "hidden" settings printed on the mobo...

Just wondering, as I'm getting an asus p2b-ds tomorrow...

Comment

I tried that with the force AGP2x option off and it didn't work, it was still in AGP 2xmode. It wasn't until UserReview gave me the exact registry key location that I was able to solve the problem. A nice GUI program is great for making you feel all warm and cozy inside but I'd still rather brave the dangerous wiles of the registry and make sure it's done right, so just humor me.
                      Atlas IIc

Comment

If you download the reg hacks from murc, it includes busmastering hacks. You can get the exact location of all publicly known registry hacks by looking in these files...

http://www.murc.ws/Utils/PD5RegHacks.zip

Comment

tish - I know there is a jumper setting for 133MHz on my mobo, but my RAM can't handle it...
                          I don't know if my board will have the same ju,pers as yours, but for me to get 133, I would jumper: FS0 2-3, FS1 1-2, FS2 1-2

Comment

There are plenty of undocumented jumper settings on asus boards. For instance, the manual for my p2b-s only goes up to a 6x multiplier, but if you look on the website, they have jumper settings for up to the celeron 466 (so far), which uses a 7x multiplier (66.66..x7=466.66..). I'm sure they'll have the setting for the celeron 500 soon (7.5x)
                            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I have no problem on my asus p2b-f and g400/sblive value with bus mastering on.

Comment

Working...
                              X