Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asus to release Athlon motherboard????(off topic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus to release Athlon motherboard????(off topic)

On then latest issue of the greek "RAM" magazine they review an Athlon on an Asus K7M mb! Didn't asus anounce they won't produce athlon boards?
    Anyway here's what they say about the mainboard (translated from greek)

"The slot A motherboard he tested athlon with was Asus' K7M. The FSB speed is at 100MHz while the chipset is manufactured by VIA. It also has an on board sound card, (VIA PCI audio controller) 3 DIMM slots, an AGP slot, four PCI and one ISA (shared) as well as an AMR slot. It was accompanied with drivers for DOS, Winodws 3.1/9x/NT4/2000, O/S2, NetWare, SCO UNIX and Linux. The motherboard is a sample the company CTC supplied us.

Note that the motherboard is brand new (you want find it at the company's web site) and AMD does not include it in the Athlon recommended motherboards list. (www1.amd.com/athlon/mbl)"

Anyway in the same mag they have an G400 16MB singlehead review which outperforms a voodoo3 3000. Here are some benchmarks:

Expendable
    640x480 800x600 1024x768
    Matrox_______49________49__________46
    Voodoo3______48________47__________46
    PC Power and Cooling Deluxe Chrome Tower case and 300W ATX Power Supply, Dual Slot1 440GX AMI MegaRUM II motherboard, 128MB of ECC 100 MHz SDRAM, PII 450 MHz, Matrox G400 MAX, Seagate Cheetah 9,1GB @ primary SCSI Ultra2 Wide controller, Hitachi 4x DVD-ROM, Panasonic (Matsushita) LS-120 Drive, Terratec EWS64XL sound card.

an athlon motherboard running at 100 mhz fsb? that will totally suck as the athlon cannot run on anything below 200 mhz...
    anywayz, yes, asus will be releaseing a motherboard "soon" and "when the market requires one" and "after they have done more preliminary reserch"
    i thinkn it was soposed to be in october tho... not sure on that...

Comment

Well the Athlon is based on the Alpha 200MHz bus but this is not exactly the case... The
      CPU communicates with the chipset at 200MHz BUT the memory bus runs at 100 or 133MHz speeds. Anyway there is currently no 200MHz RAM to be used as main memory. There is only a limited number of 133MHz SDRAM and the Athlon motherbards do not support RamBusRAM right now (neither DDR SDRAM)
      PC Power and Cooling Deluxe Chrome Tower case and 300W ATX Power Supply, Dual Slot1 440GX AMI MegaRUM II motherboard, 128MB of ECC 100 MHz SDRAM, PII 450 MHz, Matrox G400 MAX, Seagate Cheetah 9,1GB @ primary SCSI Ultra2 Wide controller, Hitachi 4x DVD-ROM, Panasonic (Matsushita) LS-120 Drive, Terratec EWS64XL sound card.

Comment

49 fps at 640 on a v3 3000? Those athlon drivers/mobo must really suck...

Comment

well the g400 article has nothing to do with the athlon review... in fact the test system is not revealed and I do not know if one can trust this magazine. It is very popular here in Greece but I have heard rumors from two different sources which are not very good ....

Comment

just that line about the 100 mhz fsb throughs off their credability
            amd would never approve a design with a 100 mhz bus!
            because their is no ev6 100 mhz bus!
            i bet they just got it from the rumor department

Comment

well the same thing can be read @ tom's hardware (that the processor uses a 200MHz bus with the chipset and an 100 or 133 MHz bus with the memory). Now that both Tomshardware and RAM say the same thing I can go to sleep (mouahahaha!)

Comment

fsb is different than the ram speed dood
                the fsb is the speed of the bus (ev6)
                the bus speed is the rate that the cpu contacts the ram
                for example
                with 200 mhz fsb, and 100 mhz ram, the cpu accesses the ram every 2 cpu cycles.

Comment

Anyway. What's important is that the CPU communicates with the chipset at 200MHz whereas the main memory runs at 100MHz
                  This is what they write:

The speed of the bus with the CPU is 100MHz
                  OK this is an exact translation from greek and an incorrect sentence in english. I do not know what they mean... I will send them an email though (at least they do answer emails :-) )

Comment

I really like the Athlon as a CPU (far superior to anything Intel can deliver right now), but when they start talking about non-Intel chipsets on the mobo, it really pushes me away.

Notice that using AGPx2 cards on non-Intel chipsets is asking for a lot of trouble. And what is a good CPU in an unstable system...

I wish AMD would make the mobos as well as the CPUs all by themselves. For now though, BX seems as the best chipset - most stable systems are based on it.

------------------
                    P2c-300a/450, 192MB PC125 SDRAM, Quantum Fireball Plus KA 18.2GB 7200rpm, Panasonic 7502B x4/x8 Ultra SCSI CD-R, Tekram DC-390U2W Ultra2Wide SCSI controller, Diamond MX300 (Vortex2), Creative Labs AWE64 Gold Sound Blaster, A-Trend Voodoo II 12MB, Matrox Millennium G400Max, 19" Hitachi SuperScan 752 and some other fancy stuff
                    P2c-300a/450, 256MB PC125 SDRAM, Quantum Fireball Plus KA 18.2GB 7200rpm, Panasonic 7502B x4/x8 Ultra SCSI CD-R, Tekram DC-390U2W Ultra2Wide SCSI controller, Diamond MX300 (Vortex2), Matrox Millennium G400Max, 19" Hitachi SuperScan 752, Logitech Cordless MouseMan Wheel and some other fancy stuff

Comment

Personnaly I hate the idea of having 440BX! It is just so...old! Intel have released so many chipsets but they are all for low end PCs(apart from the 440GX and other Quad Xeon chipsets which do not support AGP anyway...)

Moreover intel's chipsets from now on will have annoying features like "RamBus only" with a converter for SDRAM which increases the distance from the CPU to the RAM, latencies etc. Ram Bus will be very expensive and has much bigger latency than its competitors (this is DDR SDRAM)

100MHz is really low nowadays...

AMD does manufacture a chipset (at least one of the chips which compose the chipset) moreover VIA ec will have maximum support from AMD to build their chipsets because they want cheap and many Athlon motherboards. They do not want to produce chipsets themselves. Intel regards via sis and ali as competitors whereas AMD doesn't.

I would go for an Athlon right now if I had not bought an expepsive dual slot1 440GX based motherboard with dual on board Ultra2 Wide SCSI :-)

Go get that Athlon. It's fast and cheap :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X