Excuse me for sounding ignorant.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excuse me for sounding ignorant.....

I was just wondering what the benifit of changing the aperture size of AGP in the bios is? I currently have it set at 64 ( seems standard ) but I have noticed that some are putting it up to 128 and 256. Could someone please explain? Are there any benifits to higher settings?
    Thanks

The agp aperture setting tells the bios how much of the system ram to make available to the video card. Theoretically, it should be set to no more than half of your system ram, since you don't want all your ram being used for textures (that would cause your swap file to go nuts).

Some people have found that bumping it up solves some weird problems though. Who know why that helps...
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Half the RAM size is also not true... this is only good for _standard_ systems with 128MB. What in fact should be said is that it should be big enough to cache all the textures used by the game in a level. 64MB is more than enough for todays games.

------------------
      P2c-300a/450, 192MB PC125 SDRAM, Quantum Fireball Plus KA 18.2GB 7200rpm, Panasonic 7502B x4/x8 Ultra SCSI CD-R, Tekram DC-390U2W Ultra2Wide SCSI controller, Diamond MX300 (Vortex2), Creative Labs AWE64 Gold Sound Blaster, A-Trend Voodoo II 12MB, Matrox Millennium G400Max, 19" Hitachi SuperScan 752 and some other fancy stuff
      P2c-300a/450, 256MB PC125 SDRAM, Quantum Fireball Plus KA 18.2GB 7200rpm, Panasonic 7502B x4/x8 Ultra SCSI CD-R, Tekram DC-390U2W Ultra2Wide SCSI controller, Diamond MX300 (Vortex2), Matrox Millennium G400Max, 19" Hitachi SuperScan 752, Logitech Cordless MouseMan Wheel and some other fancy stuff

Comment

Actually, the issue gets murkier, still. Some motherboards (I have one of them) will only use about half the memory that you specify in the aperture setting. I set mine to 128MB (the same as the total RAM I have) and it uses 70MB - at least, according to SANDRA.

The best thing to do is... experiment! I guess there's no real answer, except the one that is right for *you.*

Bill

------------------
        People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...
        People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...

Comment

Working...
        X