Getting Marvel G200 - advice please..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Marvel G200 - advice please..

A local store just slashed their prices on Marvel G200. I've been wanting to get one, but I've read in the past that older versions of the card have some TV output problems....

What version of the Maven chip is known to be okay? And how can I tell if I have a good one?

Thanks

AlgoRhythm

When the prices are slashed, its a good bet that a high percentage of the lot has problems.

If the place you are buying from has a good return policy and you're willing to do Matrox's Quality Assurance testing for free, then give it a go.

OTOH, based on my Marvel G200-TV experience
    I'd strongly recommend something else.

Read the "G400 and premiere" thread on this forum, the title is a misnomer, all is not well in G400 land either.

--wally.

Comment

Well, thanks for the info.

What I would really like to know, is this:

The TV-out chip says MGA-TVO-B. Is this the more recent version without the problems of green tinged output?

AlgoRhythm

Comment

wkulecz >>> I suspect the prices have been slashed because the MARVEL 400 is around

AlgoRhythm>>> If the product doesn't work, you should just return it. I have a MARVEL G200 and it's a nice product. I don't have the green tinge problem, but I don't know how you tell if yours is going to have it. I suspect all the older ones have been returned / replaced by now.
        Phil
        AMD XP 1600+ ,MSI K7TPro2-RU, 512Mb, 20Gb System, 40Gb RAID0 , HP 9110 CD-RW, Pioneer DVD/CD, Windows 2000 Pro SP2, ATI RADEON 7000, Agere OHCI 1394, DX8.1, MSP 6.5, Midiman USB AudioSport Quattro (4 channel 24bit/96Khz sound unit)

Comment

Hi,

Regarding which TV chip, i have a Marvel G200 with problems, however my problems are only with the TV output from MJPEG's, which i'm pretty sure come from the Zoran chip NOT the TV chip. Actually in TV mode (where i see my desktop on TV) all works great, hell even my new DVD movies look brilliant ))

I've only just found out that the problems i have are because of a faulty capacitor (marked X1) on the Marvel card, this controls the color output of MJPEG's apparently.

Not related to vid editing, but if you have a decent CPU (p2/p3-400+) then the likes of Quake2 play good enough where i sold my VooDoo2 card!!

Other than the b&w problem the card works great for me, captures are as good as the source material you're capturing.

I paid £120 for mine, clearance price.

Cya
          Scouser

Comment

Hi AlgoRhythm

I have a Marvel G200 TV. and in the main its pretty good. Video capture is not quite up to 'pro' standard, but you wont get that for three times the price. I think its a good all round card. BUT do buy from somewhere with a good reurns policy for faulty goods - just in case.

Early ones ARE not very good.

Later ones TV out is brilliant.

Insight are selling them Sooo cheap at the moment, I nearly cried.

Best of luck

Biker

------------------

Comment

Working...
            X