Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a little help with a BIG problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a little help with a BIG problem...

Hello all,

I just upgraded from a Celeron 366 to a PIII 500...i have a G400 32 SH...and since i changed the processor all of my games (Kingpin,Half Life,and Q3) lockup as soon as i enter the game....(not the menu)...it locks up and the sound loops. The only way out of it is a HARD reset. I have tried reinstalling Direct X 6.1...the 5.13 drivers...changing the agp ap size to 256...and nothing works. The funny thing is that the Tech Demo runs just fine...it doesnt lock up. Do i need to reformat? Can some1 please help me out here...i know its not a problem with the G400...cuz if worked fine on my Celeron...is there something im missing here? I also tried reinstalling Q3 and it still locked up. Is there some options i need to change in the BIOS? If so then what are they?
    specs:

PIII 500 retail BOX
    SE440BX-2 Intel Mobo
    Seagate 8.4 gig HDD
    128 mb PC 100 SDRAM
    AOpen 40x CD ROM
    Diamond MX300 Sound card
    Ethernet PCI card
    Motorola Cable Modem
    G400 32 mb SH OEM

Please write back asap with some help ppl...thanx

------------------
    CoolBreeze aka KAST
    P3 500(not overclocked)
    128 MB PC100 SDRAM
    SE440BX-2 Motherboard by Intel
    Seagate 8.4 gig HDD
    Diamond MX300 Sound Card
    AOpen 40x CD ROM
    Ethernet 32 bit PCI Card
    Motorola Cable Modem
    Matrox G400 32 OEM Single Head @150
    17" CRT Monitor
    Altec Lansing 2 Speakers and Sub

----CoolBreeze aka KAST----

Please post your current IRQ assignments.

Rags

------------------
    That's your wife on the back of my horse!!

Comment

Hrmmm, you might want to try the registry hack for forcing AGP1x with the 5.13 drivers. I had that problem as well until I used it myself.

5.21 appears to have fixed that problem for me(no more weird lockups with agp2x enabled), although based on all the comments around here on the 5.21 drivers, well, decide for yourself I guess.
      You mean, think of something witty to say? I don't think I have the energy for that.

Comment

Are you sure your RAM is ready for 100Mhz?
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yeh if your memory is Pc100 check the cas timing having this set incorrectly can cause instability problems.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Hi all,

UPDATE:

Well just to be on the safe side...i decided to reformat and reinstall win98...after that...it still locked up...so i tried forcing agp x 1 and now everything is fine...kinda weird huh? i guess it has something to do with types of processors. Oh well i have got 5.21 running faster than ever...with the v sync hack and gl_texsort 1 in Half Life...I gained 7 fps in Kingpin...and i havent benchmarked Q3 yet...i forgot the commands for the timedemo. Oh well thanx for the responses...could someone tell me how to use MGA Tweak? or G400 Tweak?...i would like to try em out...also...how do u cap fps in Half Life...its like fps_modem something...plz tell me how...and please post a link to them if u can...thanx again.

------------------
            CoolBreeze aka KAST
            P3 500(not overclocked)
            128 MB PC100 SDRAM
            SE440BX-2 Motherboard by Intel
            Seagate 8.4 gig HDD
            Diamond MX300 Sound Card
            AOpen 40x CD ROM
            Ethernet 32 bit PCI Card
            Motorola Cable Modem
            Matrox G400 32 OEM Single Head @150
            17" CRT Monitor
            Altec Lansing 2 Speakers and Sub

----CoolBreeze aka KAST----

Comment

Hi !

I had the same problem, lockups while my G400 was running at agp x 2, at agp x 1 it worked fine.

The solution: I went to my local store and got a new one, now all works fine at agp x 2.

Comment

Working...
              X