answer to lockups !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• answer to lockups !

I think I found a problem that causes lockups... The OpenGL ICD simply get overloaded cuz its badly coded... I found out the the lockups happen only in high res with 32 but colors. for example 1024x768 16 bit doesn't lockup but 1024x768 same settings but with 32bit locks up ! Just tried my o/c computer too and same results! D3D has no problems just OpenGL from 1024x768 32bit and up the G400 ICD can't handler gracefully !!! btw the 5.13 drivers worked fine I'm talking about 5.21

PIII 500 @ 560
    G400 DH @ 148/190
    Adaptec 2940U2W with cheetah 10000rpm 9.1gb
    MX300

I think you are wrong. The ICD is much more stable for me in this version. Let's see where the differences between us are: You have P3 500@560, I have a P3450@560, you have a different Hard drive than me, oh and you are setting it up(I assume), I am setting mine up. Same card, same drivers, you get lockups, I don't. Maybe if you give more specifics of your system and problem, instead of blowing smoke out of your arse, you could actually get your system running like it is supposed to.

Rags

------------------
    That's your wife on the back of my horse!!

Comment

First I'll say that i discovered that setting the texture quality to MAX in mid-high res is resulting in lock ups too. now I'll be more specific:

ASUS P2B bios ver 1010
      PIII - 500 @ 560
      G400 DH @ 148/190 (bios ver 1.5)
      Adaptec 2940U2W with cheetah...
      MX300 with Aureal 2030 drivers.
      Toshiba 7ns PC100 memory (128mb)

in the bios I set:
      AGP aparture to 128mb
      ECC L2 cache check Enabled (not working at all without this)

Comment

Have you tried to force AGP 1X? This has worked for others with your motherboard. I have a BH6, and 2X works great with all details on Max (just the way I like it), but maybe with your system, you need to force 1X. Also, do you have any IRQ/Memory conflicts/sharing?

Rags

------------------

Comment

I think my theory was right. I did a little test with q3test 1.08 to verify my thought.
          the test was to start from the FASTEST option settings and go up in res until the computer gets locked up. It did at 1280x1024.
          then I tried it on FAST and managed to go up to 1280x1024 also and then it locked up.
          in NORMAL setting It got locked up in 1024x768 and on HI QUALITY on the same res as well. it seems that my theory is right for MY computer because rag here said that everything fine for him.

Comment

I don't have IRQ/Memory conflicts at all my matrox is on IRQ 10 alone. I even played with the cards slots to make sure.

And about AGP x1 - I DON'T WANT TOO !!! I had a TNT board and everything worked fine ASUS' agp x2 support is fine the think that is not is the matrox drivers (or if the case is worse the card itself) i don't see how they allow themselves to release a driver that isn't compatible with one of the most common boards on earth ! AGP x1 sucks ! if u try to put the textures on MAX its very slow and I dont want that !

Comment

Have you tried with the AGP aperature set at 256??? If you can increase this setting it will help with larger textures.

Paul
              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

As mentioned in some other threads there is actually no need for AGP 2x. With your 32MB you should have enough memory for all the actual games, so you won't see any speed increase by using 2x.

Helmchen

Comment

Your good ol' TNT and the G400 are two completely different cards, my man. On some motherboards, at the moment, you will need to force 1X to get stability. For one, you are running your AGP bus out of specification. 2 you will NOT see ANY DIFFERENCE in performance between 1X and 2X with today's games. PERIOD!!! If forcing 1X gave me stability, I would do it in a heartbeat. I know some motherboards can't cut 2X with the G400, and until there is a workaround in drivers to fix this, I suggest you do it and see if it works, and try Paul's suggestion first, I completely forgot to ask if you had it at that. I have absolutely ZERO problems running with everything maxed out.

If you don't want to try out people's suggestions, either get lost or don't bitch.

Rags

------------------

Comment

I would suggest you listen to these guys. They know what they are talking about.

2x is useless at this point. You are not using up the G400s 32meg with any game.

In addition, comparing the DMA mode 2x of a TnT to the DiME mode of Matrox shows you don't understang AGP anyway. 1x DiME is about as efficent as 2x DMA.

At least try the suggestions given, or don't bother asking for help.

Switch to 1x
                    increase AGP aperture size

---------------
                    That's my horse on the back of your wife!

[This message has been edited by Kruzin (edited 09-04-1999).]
                    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Thanks the AGP 256mb aparture and the x1 AGP cobination made it stable... BUT I don't understand why u r saying the x1 as is fast.... with the x2 it wasn't stable but I got 22.9fps with all maxed at 1024x786 now with the x1 its only 14.7 ! its quite a difference and btw in q3 with hq texture (512x512) at 32bit u make use of the agp texturing u should read John carmack .plan and see about that. there is alot of memory in use with all maxed out and ur card makes use of the agp memory texturing.

Comment

Maybe U should read. Most cards with under 16 Meg Video Ram on board will need to swap textures in and out of memory in Q3 with details on high. With the G400, not even Q3 will swap (very much). 1X DiME, is faster than 2X DMA (ala TNT). I just ran some tests in Q3, and there is no difference whether or not I have 1X or 2X. You don't have any background tasks running, do you?

Rags

------------------

Comment

No... I dont and i still get 4-7fps decrease in speed.. but nevermind that I'll solve that later.. btw what is the fastest but still %100 stable speed to o/c the vanilla 32mb G400 ?

Comment

Every card is different. Some people were lucky enough to get 5ns sgram on their cards. Look and see if yours has them (there will also be an unused white fan connector on the card), if you do, then you probably have a good chance of going above and beyond Max speeds.

Rags

------------------

Comment

Working...
                            X