Speeding up 5.21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speeding up 5.21

I've been having a play with 5.21 and have got it up to speed with the results from the beta driver I had posted. I've only had chance to test with Quake 2 so far. It is it seems all to do with vsync now being enabled by default in these drivers.

In Quake 2 first thing to do is to go to Video Options and set "Sync every frame to no" this brought my fps up at 640x480 from a woeful 52fps to 67fps. Then at the Q2 console type gl_swapinterval 0 this got my fps up from 67 up to 78.1.

This is all with Vsync enabled in the registry. Vsync is enabled by default when the drivers are installed but you can disable it with a <a href="http://www.murc.ws/Utils/PD5RegHAcks.zip">reg hack</a>. Disabling Vsync gave me the same increase achieved by using gl_swapinterval 0 when Vsync was enabled. gl_swapinterval has no effect when Vsync is disabled in the registry.

Seems Matrox could really do with publishing a "Whats new" file with their driver releases.

[This message has been edited by Ant (edited 09-03-1999).]

Whoomp.
    There it is.

Notice about the reg hacks though:
    Be sure your registry structure matches the reg hack (in the last branch "0000"). If your registry has the numbering differently (if the G400/200 is in 0001, 0002, etc.), you need to edit the reg hack to match your registry, or it will do nothing.

Hopefully, Matrox will release a util in the near future that will include a way to enable/disable vsynch without having to hack the registry...

------------------
    P2-450(112*4.5=504), Asus P2B (1010), 128meg pc100, MillenniumG400 32meg DH (5.??), 3com 3c905b-tx, SB Live!value, Dual USR 56k Sporsters, WB 8.4&6.4 UDMA, CL PC-DVD, Mistumi CD-RW
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Or use the uninstall utility and then install he drivers and you will be 0000.

Comment

Well.. it might be working for your G400, but for my G200 things are less positive:

Quake2, demo1 test:

With the previous drivers I got around 30fps. With new drivers I get 20fps. With gl_swapinterval 0 I get a whopping 22fps! (sync on frame off too)

But Quake2 is not the only game performance went down the drain. XTom3D has become unplayable due to bad framerates, not to mention those blending bugs.

I always use VSync enabled in registry, so that's no issue as well.

You said yesterday that they've put in the wrong driver in those PowerDesk 5.21.. Well, I get the feeling it's not a simply mix-up, since that would be an easy 5-minute-fix for Matrox to put on the correct drivers.
        Obviously, that was not the case. So, what _did_ happen then?

Is there any relation with the hardware and the bad performance? Do G400 users also get bad numbers?

Randy

K6-2 333, MVP3, newest GART-drivers & other freakin' updates, Mill G200 8MB.

Comment

Just make sure that all entries in the registry are gone and not just the 0000.

As Ant said, main reason with the slower performance is because Vsync is always on.

Haig

Comment

Yea, Ant...EXCEPT....those particular keys are not unique to Matrox, the are generic windows keys. If you had another display adapter in there at some time, it could be left behind, even after the Matrox uninstaller

[This message has been edited by Kruzin (edited 09-03-1999).]
            Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Why would you want another board in there along with a G400? You whiners are always trying to put a dampner on everything

Comment

Thanks for the help guys...
                I just got done with a driver cocktail of 5.15 and 5.21 and Im back where I started at the 513 heheh but its faster than the 5.21 in Q3 and Q2 The d3d is a little better.
                If I didnt have so much work to get done I'd mixed these 3 until they were dialed. But thats no going to happen.

Once again it would be great to get info from Matrox to help explain alot of questions. Valid questions.

Ant, this IBB is set up real nice great job!

Comment

I forgot to mention that after disabling Vsync, if you still get no change in your Quake scores, delete its cfg file and try again.

Haig

Comment

Well, lookie here.. Phil (g200.com) does confirm it's a mix-up at Matrox, in which the wrong drivers got released, but another threat here states, that's NOT the case and it would be a VSync-problem... Since I had vsynv on anyway, I'll put my money on option 1 (let's hope so to).

opschieten, matrox..

Randy

Comment

Phil (G200.com) is smoking crack

You have vsynch on (enabled). That's why your performance is down. TURN IT OFF (disable) if you want faster fps.

Comment

Will turning off VSync cause any graphic rendering problems during gameplay?

-The-Rev-

Comment

Once again, by posting a fix, Ant has proven himself a saint amongst men.

My benchmarks are back to where they were. Several nagging problems, including the Q2 lockups, appear to be cured. My display has never looked better, and my system appears to be more stable than it has been in quite some time. And Haig is back from that 6 month bikini-fest Club Med holiday. We didn't see the massive frame rate boost many of us expected, but things, at least for me, have improved.

A lesson should have been learned here. The next time we get a driver update and notice a 30% framerate loss, will we:

a) assume Vsync is enabled by default, or
                          b) hatch some bizarre conspiracy theory about viruses and incorrect ICD's, which will leak from the safe confines of the forums, into Usenet, and make everyone think Matrox has mysteriously transformed into ATI?

Vsync is pretty dull. I say the latter.

Paul
                          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Ok, at the risk of losing my elite flame-retardant status around here, I'm gonna have to disagree with the other fellas on this one...

Here's why:

I always play with VSync on. Always. I turned it on when I got my card.

So my numbers (22.1,13.4,13.8 for the 5.15, 5.20, and 5.21 respectively) are ALL with VSync On.

So what you guys are saying then, is that Matrox somehow killed performance with Vsync on, and that if I now turn it off I'll see a world of difference? Why don't I buy that?

- Gurm

------------------
                            G. U. R. M. It's not hard to spell, is it? Then don't screw it up!
                            The word "Gurm" is in no way Copyright 1999 Jorden van der Elst.
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

GURM,

I hate to break it to ya, but VSYNC was disabled in the previous PD 5.x versions, this version it works. That is why people are having problems. So, you have been happily playing with VSYNC disabled all this time, so why not have it disabled now?

Rags

------------------
                              That's your wife on the back of my horse!!

Comment

Working...
                              X