Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suck air or Push Air???

Hello every body
    I wonder if the fan on the g400 max is pushing air on the heat sink or suck it from it
    because I have super duper slot fan and that's not going to be so smart to put it under the card if the matrox fan push up and the SD Slot fan is suck down
    and if it pasibile to make it suck out of the it sink and of course if it efective???
    please help me guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    --------------
    System Specs:
    Operation System: Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Final Release)
    Case (chassis): Moded Antec Gemstone Case (300watt p.s)
    CPU: Intel P3 800e@1033 (Slot) (cb0)
    Memory: 128MB Mushkin High Performance REV2
    Motherboard: Asus P3V4X (bios 1005)
    Video card: Matrox Millenium G400 Max (Drivers 6.14)
    Sound card: Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer
    Hard drive: IBM Deskstar 75GXP (15gb)
    DVD-ROM drive: Aopen DVD-1640-PRO (Slot version)
    Mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer (With EverGlide GIGANTA)
    Keyboard: Compact Generic
    Monitor: Mag XJ700T
    Speakers: Altec Lansing ATP3 (For the front)
    Sony Sound System (For the back)
    Joystick: Microsoft SideWinder ForceFeedback 2

That thread title would have been so much better just 'suck or blow?'
    (Sorry, thinking too much like Ami again...)

Anyway, I don't actually know, but I've never seen a fan on a heatsink that doesn't suck air onto the heatsink. They always draw air inwards towards the chip.

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

Comment

If you have a case with a slot cover above the AGP slot you could put the 'slot cooler' above the G400 Max and pull off the warm air above the card.
      If not then you could mount the fan on the G400 to "suck" or pull air through the Heatsink, with the 'slot cooler ' underneath.
      Alpha recommends pulling the air through their large Processor Heatsinks. But they also have an aluminum shroud to direct the airflow in at the base of the Heatsink and out at the top.

Paul

"Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

So What better guys suck out the heat sink and use the fan and the slot fan the suck the air
        or leave it alone to push????
        --------------
        System Specs:
        Operation System: Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Final Release)
        Case (chassis): Moded Antec Gemstone Case (300watt p.s)
        CPU: Intel P3 800e@1033 (Slot) (cb0)
        Memory: 128MB Mushkin High Performance REV2
        Motherboard: Asus P3V4X (bios 1005)
        Video card: Matrox Millenium G400 Max (Drivers 6.14)
        Sound card: Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer
        Hard drive: IBM Deskstar 75GXP (15gb)
        DVD-ROM drive: Aopen DVD-1640-PRO (Slot version)
        Mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer (With EverGlide GIGANTA)
        Keyboard: Compact Generic
        Monitor: Mag XJ700T
        Speakers: Altec Lansing ATP3 (For the front)
        Sony Sound System (For the back)
        Joystick: Microsoft SideWinder ForceFeedback 2

Comment

Hey Dr. Matrox, do you have that extra slot cover above the AGP slot??

The other thing to keep in mind is that on the Lasagna Cooler or any of the Tennmax coolers you cannot reverse the fan. They are riveted to the Heatsink. Also you may end up blocking the PCI slot under the G400 with some of the other heatsink/Fan combos.

Another option is to buy or make a 'Card Cooler' with two or three 80mm case fans blowing air from the side across the G400 and leave the original Heatsink/Fan on the Max.

Here's a link to a site which will ship cooling components overseas.
          www.2cooltek.com/index.html

And another for the "Card Cooler"
          www.thecardcooler.com/

Paul
          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Cooling with fans is simple.. blow the air directly where you want it, but make sure the air you're blowing is cool enough to do the job. To do this, you must introduce as much cool outside air into the case as you possibly can.

Get as large a fan as will physically fit in the front of your case (I mean after you've taken the white plastic 80mm fan holder thingy off and removed the speaker) Then use a steel nibbling tool to cut out a huge hole in the front of your case and install the fan. A 120mm fan is usually best, but if you wanna go crazy and put a 150mm monster on there and hook it up to an AC outlet, be my guest. You can order fans online from Indek. I got a few of their fans and they are of excellent quality (metal bearings).

Of course, the ultimate air-cooled solution would be to get a small chest freezer and put it under your desk. Then cut a hole in the side and run a small air conditioner duct up to where the 150mm fan intake is on the front of your computer. That takes care of the blowing part. Blowing is really at its best when you also suck, though, so I would cut out another 150mm hole on the top of your case and fit it with more ductwork running to another room, where you can put one of those big industrial strength shop vacs. This should pull freezing air through your case at a truly phenomenal rate. Of course, you should also install a dehumidifier in your case to avoid any of that annoying condensation. Have fun!

------------------
            Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

See that white plastic box (full length slot retainer)in ALBM's pic, I put a power supply fan inside of that, air get's drawn up from under the front bevel and exits with the air from the power supply. Works well for me with the case closed.

The idea is to get cool air in, hot air out, you can stir the hot air all day long but you really need to get it out of the case.

Comment

Dunno if this interests you at all:
                http://gtech.matroxusers.com/cool/cooling.htm

just my adventure.

------------------
                Cheers,
                Steve

Comment

There's a case fan blowing air in from the slot retainer. I also have two Nydec Radial blowers blowing the hot air out under the power supply.

Also cool air is drawn in the side through a speaker grill for the AGP and PCI cards.

My case temp is usually just 5-6 degF above room temp for my overclocked system.

Paul

Comment

For Steve, Paul, and any others who may be extremely adventurous sufferers of Tim Taylor Syndrome, please follow this link where you can purchase LIQUID HELIUM!!
                    BWAHAHAHAHA!

They also have ways to contain the stuff..

Get your Superconducting Supercomputer right here!

------------------
                    Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

Darn, thanks KvH....LOL

Paul

Comment

Cool! I must get some! and, of course, more fans....

------------------
                        Cheers,
                        Steve

Comment

I want Nitrous. Heheheeehaaaheeheeeahhahahaha

Rags

------------------
                          That's your wife on the back of my horse!!

Comment

I found out this really cool (excuse the pun) the other night. I turned my computer 'off'. I haven't done this before. I left it overnight, and in the morning, it was cooler than it's ever been before! And even when the fans stopped!! Only thing is, I couldn't get it to work. So I had to turn it on and let it warm up again.

------------------
                            Cheers,
                            Steve

Comment

ALBPM,

That's certainly a comprehensive setup you have, you must be really overclocking to need all that cooling.

It's great that it works for you, but for those who might be thinking of trying the same thing, I'd personally be paranoid about:

1. The equivalent of a bunch of electromagnets in my case that might affect my hard drive, limit overclocking and general system stability. I don't have digital speakers so that's a factor too, it'd probably sound like subliminal bagpipes.

2. Power comsumption on the 12V line, it's 8A for my supply, and most fans are 100mA, so maybe no big deal, maybe the accumulated current draw could mean more fluctuations in regulation. AGP sent to 1X mode perhaps where it might normally go 2X at the same bus speed.

3. Extra vibration building up, great if you have a heavy case, but even my CD-ROM can set my case humming. Hard drives r/w heads are pretty snug these days, but you never know.

4. The noise, my God, the noise!

Some random thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                              X