acetone to remove adhesive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• acetone to remove adhesive?

So, I wanna yank the heatsink off of my G200 and put a Socket7 heatsink/fan on it.

Is acetone ok to use to clean up the heatsink glue? I've read about automotive products, but I've got a LOT of this acetone here, and my wife doesnt need THIS much nail polish remover.

Thanks.

------------------
    K6-III 400 @ 5x100, FIC VA-503+ rev 1.1a, Mill G200 16 meg SDRAM, 3 rowdy children, 5 hrs of sleep last night.
    K6-III 400 @ 5x100, FIC VA-503+ rev 1.1a, Mill G200 16 meg SDRAM, 3 rowdy children, 5 hrs of sleep last night.

5 hrs of sleep???? You get that much???? You must be on some sleeping pills or something. I have one rowdy daughter, and I am lucky to get 4.

Rags

------------------
    That's your wife on the back of my horse!!

Comment

Sleep?
      I've heard stories, but didn't think parents got any of that stuff.
      (2 rowdies myself, and they're still bouncing off the walls 2 hours past bedtime )
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

That's because you put coffee in their milk instead of Quik. You really need to watch that.

Comment

Just watch the temperature. Acetone is extremely volatile and flammable as both liquid and vapour.

Just a caution (althoough you probably already know it) in that if it is commercial nail polish remover it may contain other chemicals for strngthening/conditioning nails while removing the polish.

Just my 2ยข

------------------
          Dean
          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
          PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS

PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS

Comment

Wahey, nothing wrong with coffee, you can't start too early with that stuff :-) (forget about all decafs btw)
            Just like food and air, you simply need it when you're a college student

Hmm.. to get on topic again: perhaps some strong coffee to remove the sticky suff on your matrox? :-)

Comment

Naah, this is pure acetone.

..didn't realize my sig would generate this much discussion.

------------------

Comment

..didn't realize my sig would generate this much discussion.
                You haven't been around here that long, have you?

You can use Acetone, but use a swab, and don't get any on the PCB. I use plastic safe spray cleaner I get from Ford to clean the stuff off with, and I don't have to worry about melting the PCB.

Rags

------------------
                That's your wife on the back of my horse!!

Comment

If you go to the Tennmax cooler site,
                  www.tennmax.com
                  They recommend automobile carburator cleaner to clean the chip.
                  Goto the link for the Matrox cooler and read toward the bottom. They even recommend specific brands.

Comment

Working...
                  X