icons "set in concrete" - G200, PD 5.13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• icons "set in concrete" - G200, PD 5.13

It seems that with the PD 5.13 drivers, whatever icons were present *before* the upgrade are "cemented" to the desktop. What I mean is that however you arrange them, the icons that were present before the upgrade go back to their original places upon the next boot. It is interesting to note that *new* icons behave correctly, and that deleted old icons, while they don't reappear, *do* get their "holes" back.

Re-installing the drivers, of course, makes those new icons old, so they get cemented, also.

I upgraded from PD 4.51 in several different ways with the same results. I manually uninstalled them and manually cleaned up the files, used the Matrox uninstaller, used the uninstaller plus a manual cleanup (I realized that the uninstaller left some registry settings).

Oh, I also enabled/disabled the "save icons" and "save window position" stuff in the PD menu, but (strangely enough) those options seem to have no effect on anything. Maybe this is what's broken? I hunted through the registry to see if anything changed when I enabled and disabled them, but was unable to find any changes.

Anyone else have this problem?

Bill

------------------
    People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...

[This message has been edited by billko (edited 08-30-1999).]

Try unchecking the option for Save/Restore desktop icon positions in the PD options.

------------------
    Sticks and stones may break my bones,
    But a six foot blonde in leather and high heels... wait..

*wanders off scratching head*
    Real men don't spend 20 minutes writing a .sig

Comment

Narph:

Thanks, but... ARRRGH!!! Please read the whole post before replying.

I am always grateful for any help that anyone can give me, but please do read the whole post.

If it were simply that, then why would the icons that were added after the driver was installed behave correctly, while the icons that were already present do not? Hmmm...

Bill

[This message has been edited by billko (edited 08-31-1999).]

Comment

Not always so when I upgraded I had the odd icon deciding it wanted to go 2 inches to the right. I did have save icon posistions enabled. In the end clicking sort icons by name and then moving the icon manually a few millimetres solved this.
        However a stranger problem I came across was with Icons moving down the screen one by one after each reboot so for example My Computer would move down while another icon at the bottom of screen would move to the top in it's place. Since then the machine in question has deceased to function so i couldn't look into it further.
        I think theres a slight bug in the powerdesk it's annoying but you can live with it.
        God damn the server ate my username

Comment

I know - it's an annoyance, but I guess there's workarounds. (My wife suggested that since it seems to work fine with "new" icons, why not copy them all to a folder, then delete the desktop icons, and copy the copies back to the desktop? Brilliant, but at that point I had already reinstalled the drivers to re-cement them.)

Isn't it strange, these icon weirdities?

Bill

------------------

Comment

to the new forum

Comment

Okay - seems like 5.21 fixed this problem for me.

Bill

------------------

Comment

I guess you didn't understand, or I wasn't clear. You'll have to disable it, reboot, and reenable it. That's how I fixed mine.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                X