Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very dissapointed in g400

Hi,
    I'm new here but wanted rant and see if anyone has a solution to the poor performance of the g400. It seems any opengl stuff is very slow and anything with lighting is about 3fps. The NT drivers are the pits and hardly work at all. Then the fact that the dual monitor stuff isn't really a dual monitor because only one output is accelerated really irks me. what good is dual monitor outputs for a 3d accelerator if it isn't accelerated any longer. Dumb management decision not put the few bucks worth of hardware on the board to do this.

Uhhhhhhhh, both heads ARE accelerated in D3D with PD 5.21............

Rags

------------------
    That's your wife on the back of my horse!!

Comment

I'm using NT and opengl. According to Matrox there is only the hardware for 1 accelerated port. Maybe the the new drivers have accelerated d3d but if what matrox told me is true it is only software accelerated not hardware. Just for example the opengl program that I am running gets 3.7FPS on the main monitor the second one doesn't come up.

Comment

That is an NT limitation, not a G400 limitation. NT was not designed with 3d accelerators in mind, much less TWO. I don't know of ANY way of getting two D3D, or OpenGL acclerated adapters to accelerate at one time in NT.

Rags

------------------
        That's your wife on the back of my horse!!

Comment

Well Sgi does it. The oxygen96 does accelerate nt as does the Evans &Sutherland Tornado 3000 which does dual monitors www.es.com

Comment

Alright, Saturn. And how much do the Oxygen and E&S cards cost??

------------------
            Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

More, $1500. The reason why it's Matrox is so disappointing is that nowhere at least nowhere easily found do they tell you that this is a win9x card only and don't expect the card to work in Nt etc. The dual monitor stuff they did put out but it’s in a readme file on the cd that comes with the card and it's one sentence. I had to call them to get the straight story. Now supposedly they will have Nt drivers in a few weeks but I wouldn't hold my breath. It's funny under 98 for games it's a decent card and I like the card. Matrox truly does seem like it will always be a day late and a dollar short. Maybe a mass management layoff with more emphasis then put on hardware and driver development for 3d is needed. If matrox wants to play with the big boys then they need to run forward not creep. To disappoint your customer base and delay the shipping dates then not have all the drivers 100% ready and optimized is going to cost them in customers. Maybe they need to give themselves another innovation award that ought to delay the next generation card by a few more months.

[This message has been edited by Saturn (edited 09-03-1999).]

Comment

You're right Saturn. I don't think I would buy a Matrox card if I wasn't a matrox fanatic. But it's too late now :-)
                Anyway this might sound a bit stupid because my attempt to installed NT failed and I don't have any experience with a G400 but I have played motorhead using the dualhead clone feature. It seemed to be fully accelerated (Both monitors had a 1024x769 resolution). Now you might think that this is because I used the clone option but what about games such as ms flight sim which are supposed to do real multi monitoring since they display different 3d scenes at each monitor?

cya all!
                PC Power and Cooling Deluxe Chrome Tower case and 300W ATX Power Supply, Dual Slot1 440GX AMI MegaRUM II motherboard, 128MB of ECC 100 MHz SDRAM, PII 450 MHz, Matrox G400 MAX, Seagate Cheetah 9,1GB @ primary SCSI Ultra2 Wide controller, Hitachi 4x DVD-ROM, Panasonic (Matsushita) LS-120 Drive, Terratec EWS64XL sound card.

Comment

Working...
                X